Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Carmel, Ind., politics

Figured I'd start a thread on this. Most of the state might not care, but Carmel is big part of the Hamilton County cornerstone of the Republican party.

There have been some interesting articles in the last few weeks about issues in Carmel with taxes, infrastructure, and "vision." There is even a gun-related issue with how Mayor Brainard came out against the first location for the Point Blank gun range.

I know several Carmel-resident INGOers and am interested in perspective from them and others about the upcoming Carmel elections. The primary in May will effectively elect the mayor and council.

Full disclosure- I worked in the City of Carmel for about 7 years with the mayor and city attorney. I am friends with many in City government and on the Council. But, I'm also interested in people's honest opinions.
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

Shooter

User Info Menu

Opinions about what, specifically?

Brainard is a Daley in the making and would easily switch sides if he thought it would mean securing his power/position. Carmel's Republican status (in terms of fiscal responsibility and small government) is a sham since it's as chock-full of welfare as Chicago.

User Info Menu

haha

Opinions like that.

So, is the Mayor vulnerable (Brainard, not Daley)?

I think a big problem for any challenger is that things - on the surface - seem to be going pretty well. I'm not sure how much of Carmel's citizenry is engaged enough to look under the proverbial rug.
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post
    haha

Opinions like that.

So, is the Mayor vulnerable (Brainard, not Daley)?

I think a big problem for any challenger is that things - on the surface - seem to be going pretty well. I'm not sure how much of Carmel's citizenry is engaged enough to look under the proverbial rug.
    I'm guessing if the citizenry is complacent and Brainard has managed to keep his nose fairly clean, he's safe. I don't know the specifics of the politics anymore as it's been over 10 years since I lived there. I just know Brainard loves to spend money and the people of Carmel continue to let him. Carmel's population is flush with cash (the personal income type, not the tax revenue). It'll be a cold day in hell before the citizenry gets taxed to a point where they no longer feel they are getting something worthwhile out of it. I mean, isn't that arts district just da bomb?

User Info Menu

I'm with 88GT on this one. There are lots of corporate offices in Carmel, which means jobs, employee relocations, transient business travelers. Things are good today. The pain will come years from now.

Hamilton County tourism is booming, people are working. There seem to be very few people interested in looking behind the curtain. I think Brainard is pretty safe.
    Well the sheriff couldn't catch me now, but his little girl? Sure wish she would.

User Info Menu

I work in Carmel so my opinion doesn't really count... But I pretty much agree with 88.

I wouldn't want to live in Carmel.
    I like what they did with keystone though.

User Info Menu

I originally moved here for the school system. The taxes have remained low, relative to other comparable cities in the county, the lowest. The more i read about the dealings, maneuvering and outright obfuscation that goes on, the sooner I want to go get my 20 acres on a hill. The music will eventually stop and not everyone is going to have a chair.
    hooky is an unknown quantity at this point.

User Info Menu

I've been voting against Braindamage at every opportunity for several cycles now, like it does any good. I totally hate his urbanization thing, and his support of Agenda 21. I call him Chainsaw Brainard, the way he has the woods cut down. I liked the place when I moved here back in 92. I used to gather lots of black raspberries, blackberries, etc. I used to see deer. It just pisses me off now.
    Geeking out on ancestry; 17th great grandson of Geoffrey Chaucer, and a bunch of dukes, knights, princesses, kings and stuff. Of course, once you turn over a rock and one king crawls out, you're pretty much infested with them. And what did I tell you? Charlemagne, Holy Roman Emperor, Charles "The Hammer" Martel, and a truckload of others. This is getting better: "The Bonny Earl O'Moray" was an ancestor, and the origin of the term mondegreen: They slew the Earl O'Moray and Lady Mondegreen

User Info Menu

A reflecting pool? You guys have a reflecting pool?
    A Sigma and a SIGma male

K_W

User Info Menu

I've know "Jim" all my life. He's a great guy, he has had some big ideas, not all were good or worked, but I think he has done wonders for Carmel in the last 20 years. Carmel was a nightmare to drive in before the roundabouts and even the Keystone expansion.

I live in an area Carmel is trying to annex... I oppose this because of the tax increase, ordinances, building restrictions, and their plans to level my "town"... not because of any malice towards Carmel, it's people, or it's mayor.

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast