• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My initial reaction to the new "assessment" was negative, but I am glad I live in a place that has the forethought to make the investments in infrastructure before they are a problem. This was especially highlighted during the drought a couple years ago when the surrounding communities were running out of water and we were fine because of well system we put in place.
    Interesting.

From my perspective, the new tax is to pay for things we already built. We had the budget to maintain them when we built them. But then, we built new stuff that wasn't supported in the budget, so now we have to play a bit of a monetary shell game to get new revenue to maintain the stuff we should be able to budget for without it.

Likewise, the sewer issues that are now being used to show why we "need" the new tax have been around for years. Truly, almost since Carmel's founding. (Carmel sits on some of the lowest ground in the county - which makes things like the artesian well.) "Forethought" would have had those items budgeted and fixed much earlier.

Money is fungible. It is about priorities.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I understand where you come from completely. On the state and federal level, I always cringe at the reckless spending. But when I can see my tax dollars going into my own community, I'm ok with that. If our taxes were sky high, I wouldn't like it. But as it stands, our taxes are very low compared to many other places.
    But taxes require the use of force, so you're essentially condoning the use of force against your neighbor for cosmetic cover-ups. Just because you don't mind your tax dollars being spent that way, doesn't mean your neighbors are as accepting of it.

I'm actually a fence-sitter on the issue because the libertarian side of me cringes at the thought of government having anything to do that keeps it in session more than one month out of the year, sheriff excepted. But I also believe in the right of self-governance, and everything up to the state level has my grudging acceptance to behave like mini-tyrants.

Interesting.

From my perspective, the new tax is to pay for things we already built. We had the budget to maintain them when we built them. But then, we built new stuff that wasn't supported in the budget, so now we have to play a bit of a monetary shell game to get new revenue to maintain the stuff we should be able to budget for without it.

Likewise, the sewer issues that are now being used to show why we "need" the new tax have been around for years. Truly, almost since Carmel's founding. (Carmel sits on some of the lowest ground in the county - which makes things like the artesian well.) "Forethought" would have had those items budgeted and fixed much earlier.

Money is fungible. It is about priorities.
    Carmel is a black hole for tax dollars. My family actually lived in Homeplace (College Meadows neighborhood) and they were fighting annexation right up until the point we left (I don't know where that's at now.) One of the main reasons for opposition was the fact that that area already had city water and sewer, one of the main "benefits" Carmel was trying to sell. And for some of us, being covered by Hamilton Co. Sheriff as opposed to Carmel PD was important. When they got the message that water and sewer were non-starters, they started in with the "Well, we can give you sidewalks and streetlights." Puh-lease. Carmel will say or do anything to justify taxing.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    But taxes require the use of force, so you're essentially condoning the use of force against your neighbor for cosmetic cover-ups. Just because you don't mind your tax dollars being spent that way, doesn't mean your neighbors are as accepting of it.

I'm actually a fence-sitter on the issue because the libertarian side of me cringes at the thought of government having anything to do that keeps it in session more than one month out of the year, sheriff excepted. But I also believe in the right of self-governance, and everything up to the state level has my grudging acceptance to behave like mini-tyrants.

Carmel is a black hole for tax dollars. My family actually lived in Homeplace (College Meadows neighborhood) and they were fighting annexation right up until the point we left (I don't know where that's at now.) One of the main reasons for opposition was the fact that that area already had city water and sewer, one of the main "benefits" Carmel was trying to sell. And for some of us, being covered by Hamilton Co. Sheriff as opposed to Carmel PD was important. When they got the message that water and sewer were non-starters, they started in with the "Well, we can give you sidewalks and streetlights." Puh-lease. Carmel will say or do anything to justify taxing.

One of any number reasons I shed no tear when we moved from Bloomington 10+ years ago now. If those people want to fritter money away on homeless shelters, market themselves as a homosexual vacation destination, saving dilapidated movie theaters, so be it. I say more power to them--but I chose to not participate.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    My family has lived here since 1959. When I bought my house from my grandmother she welcomed me to the slums of Carmel. I thought she was joking but after a few years I got it. I live in what became the Arts District. If you have a residence in the Arts District the city could care less about you. I will vote for anyone that runs against mayor Brainard.

I could go on but I'm getting an upset stomach thinking about what I have been put through here.

chuck

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    When I lived in Mohawk apartments as a teen, I envied the kids that lived in "Old Town" Carmel (now the ADD).

Intentionally or not, the places to economically live in Carmel are decreasing all the time.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    If you lived in or near Hamilton Co. and drove through it regularly, it became clear decades ago that there were traffic issues in Carmel caused by the population explosion the area experienced. At one point Hamilton Co. was touted by realtors as the fastest growing residential area in the country, like that was a good thing! You didn't have to be a genius to figure out that fixing the traffic flow problems would make you look like one. Brainard seems to have fooled a lot of people. The chickens will be coming home to roost soon enough........in a roundabout way!

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN

That has to be the biggest fluff piece known to man. That most assuredly was written by the wife of the concrete contractor owner who received that sweetheart $2M contract to build, albeit poorly, that super amazing reflecting pool - you know, the one that was constructed with the shoddy concrete that is falling and crumbling.

VGFsirius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2013
    Carmel
    I've been voting against Braindamage at every opportunity for several cycles now, like it does any good. I totally hate his urbanization thing, and his support of Agenda 21. I call him Chainsaw Brainard, the way he has the woods cut down. I liked the place when I moved here back in 92. I used to gather lots of black raspberries, blackberries, etc. I used to see deer. It just pisses me off now.

Amen Brother. Been here since 97 and all they've done is tear down trees and plant buildings.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I happen to know that the veto of the conservation district - on laughable "transparency" grounds - directly impacts a good, solid INGOer. He was involved in organizing it.

This latest thing is a slapdown to anyone that disagrees with what the mayor wants to accomplish.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Looks like we have our own little crisis-of-discretion in Carmel:
    City of Carmel files lawsuit against Clerk-Treasurer Diana Cordray - Current in Carmel

This lawsuit is totally stupid. The initial appearance was filed by City Attorney Doug Haney, but watch for private counsel to appear for the city. I suspect either Bose McKinney (Bryan Babb, if history is a guide) or someone from Keller Macaluso (Tammy Haney's firm - she's Doug Haney's wife).

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ugh Carmel, actually the whole damn urban area north of Kessler, 56th, Pendleton Pike...

I hate the damn roundabouts, they would work if people would yield. Yeah, like that happens, people on phones tend not to yield.

Ohh and Keystone, ugh. Why the hell did the state have to turn that over to Carmel. Build the damn thing without adequate clearance for trucks. Four lanes? Come on.

Now the state has to come in and upgrade 31 and Do it right, because Keystone is fecked up.

The state should have imminent domained both 31 and keystone enough ROW to build two interstate quality highways thru there. Six lane elevated to where they meet. Full cloverleaf interchanges. The whole nine yards. The six lane interstate out the Westfield.

The rest of Carmel and other areas up there are just yuppie wasteland.

i live on the south side, you know what's changed down here in 20 years. Nothing, jack squat really. A couple interstate interchanges but that is it. No uncontrolled development. And we are just fine.

Rant over

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Ugh Carmel, actually the whole damn urban area north of Kessler, 56th, Pendleton Pike...

I hate the damn roundabouts, they would work if people would yield. Yeah, like that happens, people on phones tend not to yield.

Ohh and Keystone, ugh. Why the hell did the state have to turn that over to Carmel. Build the damn thing without adequate clearance for trucks. Four lanes? Come on.

Now the state has to come in and upgrade 31 and Do it right, because Keystone is fecked up.

The state should have imminent domained both 31 and keystone enough ROW to build two interstate quality highways thru there. Six lane elevated to where they meet. Full cloverleaf interchanges. The whole nine yards. The six lane interstate out the Westfield.

The rest of Carmel and other areas up there are just yuppie wasteland.

i live on the south side, you know what's changed down here in 20 years. Nothing, jack squat really. A couple interstate interchanges but that is it. No uncontrolled development. And we are just fine.

Rant over
    I don't see much difference between the development up north and that down south.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    20 years ago, I can remember getting a block or 2 south of 465 on either 37 or 67 and have smooth sailing all the way to Bedford. Now, 67 is PIA from Mooresvile- north. And 37 is about the same from about the same radius as Mooresville and north.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    20 years ago, I can remember getting a block or 2 south of 465 on either 37 or 67 and have smooth sailing all the way to Bedford. Now, 67 is PIA from Mooresvile- north. And 37 is about the same from about the same radius as Mooresville and north.

Yeah, it's worse. we moved here in 2002 and I cringe every time I see a new stop light go up. But it's nothing compared to the 31 corridor through greenwood and areas south.

Top Bottom