• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GTG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    I recetly got back into shooting and have really been having a bllast with glock 20. I hade my 18 year old daughter out at the range last weekend shooting and after she got frustrated with failure to feeds with my sig. She was limp wristing it. I let her shoot the 20, she loved it and after shooting it she went back to the sig and had no problem with feeding.

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    I have never fired one. I think many 10mm owners are reloaders to cut back on the expense and get a proper loading. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on the 10mm vs the 40s&w or the 9mm.

GTG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Yea if you want to shoot loads any where near its potential you need to reload .. I have a lot of old double tap thats pretty hot. I got set up to start reloaging for it a few years ago, but got busy and never found the time to test many loads. This summer I am hoping to start reloading again, I have been thinking also about getting a 6.5 or 6.8 upper and try some reloading for it also.

GTG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    I got into the 10mm for backpacking, but instantly fell in love with it.

GTG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    I have never fired one. I think many 10mm owners are reloaders to cut back on the expense and get a proper loading. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on the 10mm vs the 40s&w or the 9mm.
    I still like 9mm, and I would have no problem using it for home deffense with a good hollow point like 124 grn +P gold dots. I like the ability of quick follow up shots and I have some high capacity mags I bought back in the early nintys. Being in CA you can't posess any mags you didn't own before the high cap ban, so as long as I am in CA I doubt I will ever give up my sig228
    I have never been a big 40mm fan. I guess most of the factory ammo available for the 10mm isn't much more then a 40 anyway.
    The 10mm when loaded properly is a blast. Its right between a 357 magnum and a 44 magnum. I love to watch people shoot it for the first time.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Great cartridge, I wish it had never fallen out of favor. The .40 S&W should have never happened.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Ten Millimeter..... Hmmmm.... Let's see. I have a Colt Delta Gold Cup, Delta Elite, S&W 610, Witness, Ruger Buckeye and a custom built Fusion Commander. Yeah, I like the 10mm. Recently sold off a couple 610s, Glocks and a Delta Elite and really regret it but I needed to raise some cash.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Great cartridge, I wish it had never fallen out of favor. The .40 S&W should have never happened.

Why did .40 S&W take over?

If I wasn't specifically going for 9mm, I wouldn't have bought my Baby Eagle and gotten this instead:

7IOFK.jpg
    qB8l7.jpg

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Ten Millimeter..... Hmmmm.... Let's see. I have a Colt Delta Gold Cup, Delta Elite, S&W 610, Witness, Ruger Buckeye and a custom built Fusion Commander. Yeah, I like the 10mm. Recently sold off a couple 610s, Glocks and a Delta Elite and really regret it but I needed to raise some cash.

I knew you would be here:D

If I wasn't specifically going for 9mm, I wouldn't have bought my Baby Eagle and gotten this instead:

I believe the FBI/LEO opinion was that 10mm had too much recoil.

GTG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012

7IOFK.jpg
    qB8l7.jpg
    Very nice it was a friend with a Delta Elite that first got me excited about the 10mm

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008

The 10mm wasn't particularly popular either in the beginning. Then the FBI had a knee jerk reaction to the 1986 Dade County shoot out and raced out to acquire the most powerful automatic pistol cartridge able to be chambered in a conventional handgun they could find. The 10mm. At the time only the Bren Ten was out there and it wasn't doing so well. The FBI got S&W to make the 1076 based on their large frame auto. The then popular Norma 200gr loads were hot stuff, so the FBI developed the "FBI load" which was a pud loaded 10mm. Meanwhile the popularity of the 10mm exploded. When the FBI adopts something, the next day everyone wants what they have.

The FBI worked with S&W to trim the 10mm case back and reduce the load to replicate their FBI load 10mms performance. The .40 S&W was born.

When the FBI went to the .40, everyone dropped the 10mm and went to the .40 too. This pretty much killed the 10mm over night.

starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    I would love to try a 10mm, I basically stole the first 40 is bought. I just stuck with it, only the 3rd pistol I have ever owned. I have only shot 9,40,357,45. What I would give to shot, own, and reload a 10mm.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    The 10mm wasn't particularly popular either in the beginning. Then the FBI had a knee jerk reaction to the 1986 Dade County shoot out and raced out to acquire the most powerful automatic pistol cartridge able to be chambered in a conventional handgun they could find. The 10mm. At the time only the Bren Ten was out there and it wasn't doing so well. The FBI got S&W to make the 1076 based on their large frame auto. The then popular Norma 200gr loads were hot stuff, so the FBI developed the "FBI load" which was a pud loaded 10mm. Meanwhile the popularity of the 10mm exploded. When the FBI adopts something, the next day everyone wants what they have.

The FBI worked with S&W to trim the 10mm case back and reduce the load to replicate their FBI load 10mms performance. The .40 S&W was born.

When the FBI went to the .40, everyone dropped the 10mm and went to the .40 too. This pretty much killed the 10mm over night.

I read the Bren Ten's had issues with their metal. Cracking and such. Sucks. I'd love to have one. I tend to ***** about recoil, but I chalk it up to design. My old man has a S&W in .40 that's very manageable for me, but my friend's PPQ in .40 is too snappy. My Beagle fits my hands so damn well, I bet that Witness in 10mm in the pictures I posted would make a nice addition to my just started collection. Ugh, I need more money, for more guns....

If anyone wants that Witness in the pictures, it's still up for $570ish on gunbroker. If you buy it, let me touch it... please.... :D

GTG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    I installed a kkm barrel in my glock for full support and am very happy with its accuracy. It is my first glock and it handles the 10mm pretty smoothly.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    My Witness is an all steel full frame gun so it handles the 10mm recoil pretty well. When the 10mm Delta Elites first came out I bought one new. The 10mm Norma round, and then the Blazer too, were pretty hot loads and a lot of ppl couldn't take the recoil. The S&W 610 is a good gun for 10mm and since it uses moon clips to hold the cartridges in the cylinder you can also shoot .40s out of it too. Full Auto gave a pretty good description of the birth of the 40 Short & Weak and the fall from grace of the 10mm afterwards. But the 10 definitely has a dedicated following and there are still guns out there chambered in the caliber to choose from. To bad the ammo manufacturers, for the most part, downloaded all their offerings in 10mm for less power/recoil. The round has plenty of punch and is great for hogs and other med sized game. It would be a good deer cartridge if it can get approved by the state.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    (Quote) Any 10mm love here?

Yes, quite a bit. I shoot it in a custom Colt, Delta Elite and a 16" carbine and load/reload for it. Cast, size and lube my own bullets. Do my own chronographing and enjoy it very much.

10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I have a 10mm Kimber that I shoot here and there (actually took her to the range last night). I must say, I dont shoot it nearly as well as my .45? Either way, I love it but, it get pricey to shoot often.

Looks like its time to start reloading for my 10:) Anyone have any brass the want to swap for 9 or 40 brass? Pm me!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    (Quote) Any 10mm love here?

Yes, quite a bit. I shoot it in a custom Colt, Delta Elite and a 16" carbine and load/reload for it. Cast, size and lube my own bullets. Do my own chronographing and enjoy it very much.

10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.

I'd love to have a 10mm Carbine. I know the FBI had carbines in 10mm. Just something else on my firearms bucket list. :cool:

Top Bottom