• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GTG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Is your kkm barrel the conversion version for a g21 or do you have a g20 and wanted a tighter fit? I've read that the g20 is a heavier slide.
    Its a g20. I wanted a fully supported barrel to minimize bulging brass with hot loads. I havn't ever had a feed problem with it.
    There are alot guys are putting after market 10mm barrels in the g21, and I havn't heard of any failures. Some guys also change to a 20 or 22lb guid rod spring.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    G20 owner and fan here.

I got my G20 on a because I already had my fill of 9mm and 45acp handguns and was looking forsomething different. I had only shot a few rounds of 10mm before that.

now I am hooked. I just need to start reloading. I have a buddy who cant get enough of it. Everytime I visit he wants me to bring it so we can go shooting. LoL

My only option now is to start reloading since I am out of ammo. LOL.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I have a 610 3-7/8", a g20,

I plan a witness hunter or elite match, a g29, And either a delta elite or a 5" bobtail Dan Wesson, I also want to build a 10mm carbine off of an enfeild action that takes g20 mags.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Anyone else notice that almost every Double Tap listed is about 200fps lower velocity than advertised? I knew they were misleading, but really?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I love the 10mm, but when I can buy 9mm factory for less than I can reload full power 10mm I just had to go back to the 9mm. If they ever allow the 10mm I'll get back on the wagon.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Its a g20. I wanted a fully supported barrel to minimize bulging brass with hot loads. I havn't ever had a feed problem with it.
    There are alot guys are putting after market 10mm barrels in the g21, and I havn't heard of any failures. Some guys also change to a 20 or 22lb guid rod spring.

N00b here, can you guys explain what a fully supported barrel is vs partial? Does it mean the chamber doesn't completely hold the casing to the rim?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    N00b here, can you guys explain what a fully supported barrel is vs partial? Does it mean the chamber doesn't completely hold the casing to the rim?

Look at the picture in post 15 of this link:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/175965-1911_guys_riddle_me_this_brass_issue-2.html
    to see the differences between fully supported barrels and those that aren't.

From left to right in that pic are a stock G20 barrel, a LoneWolfDist Glock 20 barrel, and a Colt Delta Elite 10mm barrel.

Partially supported barrels help shorten the distance a slide has to cycle to feed reliably at the expense of case support.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    G20 & 29, plus a few Dan Wesson 1911's in 10mm, including a Global Hunter (6" longslide). I've never seen another GH out there.

PICT1085.jpg

I let some of my buddies shoot the 29 with Double Tap 200gr bullets, might have hooked one of them....lol

eta: I've also been fortunate enough to fire 2 FBI HK MP5/10 mm's. One was 3 shot burst, the other was full-auto. Very controllable and accurate.

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I knew you would be here:D

I believe the FBI/LEO opinion was that 10mm had too much recoil.

I think this is a myth that has grown up around the 10mm.

The reality as far as I can tell is that the FBI never tested the full-power 10mm (at Norma pressure levels).

The "FBI Lite" is the only 10mm version that was tested and adopted. I think the "too powerful" aspect is just some macho enhancement from my fellow 10mm fans.

The FBI spec'd the '10mm lite' not because agents couldn't handle it, but because they had actual data that said a subsonic round was desirable. Moreover, they specified a muzzle velocity of 950fps because in FBI testing, higher velocities had LOWER penetration, and the FBI thinks penetration is the most important aspect of wound ballistics (and is why the IWBA takes a similar position).

So it's a myth that the FBI originally spec'd a full-power 10mm and then downloaded. The reality is that the initial FBI spec was a 10mm lite (aka .40 SW) right out of the gate, because the FBI's data said they didn't want or need the extra power of the full house 10mm.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I think this is a myth that has grown up around the 10mm.

The reality as far as I can tell is that the FBI never tested the full-power 10mm (at Norma pressure levels).

The "FBI Lite" is the only 10mm version that was tested and adopted. I think the "too powerful" aspect is just some macho enhancement from my fellow 10mm fans.

The FBI spec'd the '10mm lite' not because agents couldn't handle it, but because they had actual data that said a subsonic round was desirable. Moreover, they specified a muzzle velocity of 950fps because in FBI testing, higher velocities had LOWER penetration, and the FBI thinks penetration is the most important aspect of wound ballistics (and is why the IWBA takes a similar position).

So it's a myth that the FBI originally spec'd a full-power 10mm and then downloaded. The reality is that the initial FBI spec was a 10mm lite (aka .40 SW) right out of the gate, because the FBI's data said they didn't want or need the extra power of the full house 10mm.

any solid links to back that up? I'm not doubting you, I'd just like it for reference.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I don't have any links but I do have a printed article from Shooting Times Handgun Quarterly (haven't found a date on it) entitled "The real significance of the FBI's Ammo Test" by Charles E. Petty and it is six pages long, starting on page 39.
    The report of the FBI's ammo test was published in 1989 and in the first half of 1990 they tested 16 more rounds.
    It would be an interesting read for you if I could find a way to post it on this forum. Maybe it can be found in the Shooting Times Achives.
    I've got copys of everything 10mm from the early years before their was any published data in the loading manuals. Happy hunting.

Top Bottom