• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GTG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    I picked up alot of once fired 10mm brass cheap a couple years ago that was fired from a mp5. They were pretty dinged up I don't think I would feel comfortable using them more then a couple times in the HK sub gun.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Great cartridge, I wish it had never fallen out of favor. The .40 S&W should have never happened.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I agree completely.

I have a Glock 29, superb handgun. I love shooting full power 10mm. But full power loads are harder to find and very expensive. So if you shoot the more commonly available 10mm from larger manufactures you are just shooting a .40. :(

The full power 10mm was deemed too powerful and thus neutered down to a .40 S&W. And so now my Glock 29 sets in the safe in hopes that full power 10mm with become readily available and at an affordable price. Until then it sets neglected and hungry.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My wife and I had the citizens academy experience shooting the MP5 in 10mm. In single, burst and full auto - recoil was amazingly light through that rifle. One magazine was the biggest tease.

I'm not into ever wanting a full auto, but that day was incredibly fun and memorable.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    So I did some poking around after you guys struck my interest in the round. It looks like the Glock 20/29's are your best bet for 10mm. No reliability issues there as they were specifically designed for the round. I've read that EAA Witnesses are prone to the slides or frames cracking on actual spec rounds in the compact version (full frame Match/Elite/Hunter have less complaints), and that the most major factory ammo are light loaded to just over what the .40 is. BSRadar100 on youtube put up a video saga on his Witness compact about breaking three slides even with the gimped loads. He explains that the Tanfoglio-made frame was designed for 9mm/.40, and EAA had them extend it to fit .45 and then said make a 10mm for sh!1s and giggles. Probably the frame would have to be widened to allow a thicker slide on the slide in frame design, or just switch to slide over frame and make it easy. It looks to me like for an arms manufacturer, the 10mm is likely a money sinkhole considering the engineering and extra material that has to go into making one reliable and structurally capable for the 10mm cartridge. What a shame. Oh well, I don't like Glocks, but a 20 is now on my "list of want" guns. :)

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    So I did some poking around after you guys struck my interest in the round. It looks like the Glock 20/29's are your best bet for 10mm. No reliability issues there as they were specifically designed for the round. I've read that EAA Witnesses are prone to the slides or frames cracking on actual spec rounds in the compact version (full frame Match/Elite/Hunter have less complaints), and that the most major factory ammo are light loaded to just over what the .40 is. BSRadar100 on youtube put up a video saga on his Witness compact about breaking three slides even with the gimped loads. He explains that the Tanfoglio-made frame was designed for 9mm/.40, and EAA had them extend it to fit .45 and then said make a 10mm for sh!1s and giggles. Probably the frame would have to be widened to allow a thicker slide on the slide in frame design, or just switch to slide over frame and make it easy. It looks to me like for an arms manufacturer, the 10mm is likely a money sinkhole considering the engineering and extra material that has to go into making one reliable and structurally capable for the 10mm cartridge. What a shame. Oh well, I don't like Glocks, but a 20 is now on my "list of want" guns. :)

If you get a chance, shoot both the 20 and the 29 with full power loads. I found the 29 much nicer to shoot full power loads. Has something to do with the 17lb compound spring system in the 29. That is why I bought a 29 instead of a 20.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    If you get a chance, shoot both the 20 and the 29 with full power loads. I found the 29 much nicer to shoot full power loads. Has something to do with the 17lb compound spring system in the 29. That is why I bought a 29 instead of a 20.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip :)

Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    Yep! I love my G20, and the 10mm in general. Shoot it mild to hot or don't shoot it at all :) Right now Underwood ammo is the growing respectable name in full power factory stuff and its very nicely priced compared to most of the other wannabes.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    The 10mm when loaded properly is a blast. Its right between a 357 magnum and a 44 magnum. I love to watch people shoot it for the first time.

That is incorrect. The 10mm is about even with the 357 mag when you compare hot and heavy loads.

The 10mm is nowhere near the 44mag (or a normal 41 mag for that matter).

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    As I recall the 10mm was developed because someone was trying to come up with an auto loader cartridge that would compare with the 357 magnum which the 10mm does very well.
    It could be argued that the 10mm has a slight edge because on page 33 of March 1987 Shooting Times, the author states that " These loads have most similar energy levels in calibers listed. The load that is most comparible to 10mm Auto cartridge is Winchester .41 Magnum 175-gr. STHP" That's out of a 4" barrel.
    The load most often sited (I think) for the .357 Magnum is the 125-gr JHP at about 1450 FPS or more (that's listed from a 6 inch barrel in my book).
    I load 135-gr. Sierra JHP bullets to about 1400 FPS from my 5" barrel.
    So it looks to me that the 10mm does compare very well with the .357 Magnum.
    I settled the question very well by having both a 5" Delta Elite and a 4" S&W model 66-1.

10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.

Last edited:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Despite my screen name, one of my favorite guns is a Glock 20. I have found that Double Tap supplies very hot 10 mm rounds, albeit expensive. In a proper gun, it is a very controllable round.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Despite my screen name, one of my favorite guns is a Glock 20. I have found that Double Tap supplies very hot 10 mm rounds, albeit expensive. In a proper gun, it is a very controllable round.

I avoid DoubleTap like the plague since this:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/75281-caution_if_you_have_10mm_from_double_tap.html

I'm not going to do business with a company that either misleads their customers deliberately, or has such sloppy quality control that they won't own up to.

There are more reputable companies out there making hot 10mm ammo.

Big Charlie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Is your kkm barrel the conversion version for a g21 or do you have a g20 and wanted a tighter fit? I've read that the g20 is a heavier slide.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I picked up a full size Witness in 10mm a couple of months back. I've started buying any 10mm brass I see as well. The first couple of outings saw the Witness ejecting brass into the next county so I trimmed the ejector and installed a heavier spring. It's now working very well and once I get enough ammo through it, it will become a carry gun. I just need to get some parts for my Dillon 550 so I can do a setup for the 10mm and then we'll be able to get the round count up. So far though, it's been flawless even if it was a bit over enthusiastic in ejecting the brass.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Top Bottom