• ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Buy a good 1911 and you will never go back. I own 3. There is no comparison to the way they feel and shoot.

Yep! The heft is nice and the slim grip shape just naturally fit your hand.
    When I hold them, I find myself thinking "man.... this is nice!"
    I don't get that with a lot of other handguns.
    Revolvers would be a close second.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I don't know if this is 100% true or not, but I heard some where that the Rock Islands are made on old Colt Series 70 tooling.

there made like 70 series with no firing pin safety.....80 series have firing pin safety...

to the OP....go here and get one....only $379.99 + ship new......http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911.aspx...... can't get a kaboomer new for that.....then you can customizes like you like....

Last edited:

deanr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Kendallville, Indiana
    It's not true, people that make that claim don't even know what constitutes a Series 70. ;)

While I won't try and claim to be an expert on the 1911, or anything else for that matter, from what I know the major differences are the firing pin block and the redesigning of the halfcock notch on the hammer. Some would argue the collet bushing, but if I remember right these also came on the last production of the Series 70.

Like I had said, I am not sure if what I had heard was correct or not. If you say it is not correct can you show why it is not?

Farslayer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    MetroArms American Classic II, Commander, and Trophy can be had for under $600. They tend to get very positive reviews. I have a Trophy and it's great.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    While I won't try and claim to be an expert on the 1911, or anything else for that matter, from what I know the major differences are the firing pin block and the redesigning of the halfcock notch on the hammer. Some would argue the collet bushing, but if I remember right these also came on the last production of the Series 70.
    Actually, it's the collet barrel bushing and the accurizor barrels that make them a Series 70, not the action type, they had the same action since the first 40 M1911s were built on 28 Dec. 1911, until the Series 80s were introduced in 1983.

Like I had said, I am not sure if what I had heard was correct or not. If you say it is not correct can you show why it is not?
    I'm not an expert either, just been collecting them for a number of years. ;)

The Series 70 actually was a two part system, it was the collet bushing and the "Accurizor" barrel. Colt first used the collet bushing and the accurizor barrels on "commercial" Government Models built in 1969 (they were not rollmarked "Series 70" until mid-to late 1970), they are known to collectors as the BB Transitionals. BB was struck under the serial number, representing the use of the new Barrel and Bushing.

ColtBBTransitional4.jpg

The old "Series 70 tooling" are Bridgeport milling machines, which were still/are there when we were invited to tour the plant in the summer of 2007 (RIAs had been on the market long before that). The M-1911 Pistols Organization E-zine Colt tour. Even the current management of Colt has muddied the issue by calling the non-Series 80 pistols "Series 70 action."

DIM TIM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Stuck in Ohio
    I know how most folks feel about them these days, but the LEAST expensive one that I owned once was one of the Norinco's made in China.
    Shot well right out of the box, pretty accurate, and only had one malfunction ever, and that was a "stovepipe" that happened once at the range with some real cheap ammo I bought for a test firing.

Never had any other problems, and liked the fact that even though it was made in China, ALL 1911 parts for the same size pistol, would fit and interchange with it.

Gave $350 for that one, and with only that one malfunction in all the rounds I fed through it.............NO REGRETS (even if it was made in China). :twocents:
    A lot of folks back in the day, worried about some sort of "RED DAWN" type of SHTF event. So the factor that determined my purchase of some weapons along the lines of the Norinco, was that IF we were ever invaded by one of the Communist powers, then it would be a sort of sweet, poetic justice to send them to the next life with weapons made by their own people. That's why I still feel that all patriotic Americans should own an AK or two, some Tokerev's, a few Saiga's, some Norinco's, .............;) :patriot:

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    As others have said there are quite a few different options available to you at well below $1000. My suggestion to anyone new to the 1911 platform. Get a solid used one and see if you like it. By the time you has shot the snot out of that first one. You'll know what you really need in your next 1911 purchase or conversely you'll see that it's maybe not for you. If so you can resell for close to or sometimes more than what you paid for it.

To me 1911 are like cars. Most kids don't start out in a brand new sports car. You may never feel the need for a 2k+ 1911 just like many people don't need a 500hp car. Get a quality used pistol and then just use it. You'll probably scratch the slide a time or two.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    As others have said there are quite a few different options available to you at well below $1000. My suggestion to anyone new to the 1911 platform. Get a solid used one and see if you like it. By the time you has shot the snot out of that first one. You'll know what you really need in your next 1911 purchase or conversely you'll see that it's maybe not for you. If so you can resell for close to or sometimes more than what you paid for it.

To me 1911 are like cars. Most kids don't start out in a brand new sports car. You may never feel the need for a 2k+ 1911 just like many people don't need a 500hp car. Get a quality used pistol and then just use it. You'll probably scratch the slide a time or two.

This reasoning is valid, fair, reasonable, etc. But the other side of that coin is that you might get a not-so-great 1911 and assume that they're all like that and that 1911s just aren't for you, when getting a GOOD one would have let you know what they can REALLY be like, and you'd catch the disease. Continuing the car analogy, it's like buying the cheapest "sports car"-ish thing you can find and assuming from that experience that sports cars really aren't all they're cracked up to be...

Disclaimer: Sports cars are for those with 'compensation' issues, real men drive Jeeps. And carry 1911s.

Shame there's not an option for "half-purple" or "sorta purple".

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Well I'm halfway to being a real man then. I drive a jeep but carry a Glock.

A Glock is a wonderful "truck gun" -- something you can stuff in your Jeep and take out mudding, even something you can CARRY when you're going out digging and think there's a good chance you'll get really nasty. You don't even have to feel ashamed about it, given the circumstances.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    The RIA's are a good bargain for the money, but theres no substitute for a quality 1911 (Colt). I'd hate to see someone buy a low end 1911 and have problems and then be one of those people who just hate 1911's and give them a bad rap

coinman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    I bought a Kimber custom target II for $850 and a Springfield RO for $750. The 1911 is addicting for sure so be careful.

Addicting is putting it mildly.......I started with a Springfield GI, then I bought 2 Kimbers Crimson Carry II & Raptor II(sold the Crimson), then a DW Valor (sweet factory production gun), then the customs, an Ed Brown Executive Target, then a Wilson Combat CQB Elite, and have on order an Ed Brown Executive Elite Centennial...............FWIW I will be selling the last Kimber I own and The Springfield GI.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Colts and Kimbers are all high end but every manufacturer you can name either does or has made a 1911, They are all from the same set of plans which by the way is 100 years old.
    Check out The RIA and Springfield versions, you can get a quite good 1911 for the price of your Glock.

Top Bottom