• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the input.
    Since I was 20 minutes away from Cabelas after a dentist appt. this am, I drove up and picked up some ammo that I don't buy in bulk.
    I'll check on Cabelas online, thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

I picked up:
    10mm x2 boxes @$18/box (Armscor, 180 grain)
    40 caliber x2 boxes @$16/box (Fed. Am. Eagle)
    32 auto x1 box @$17 (71 grain)

Picked up 4 more 13" pistol rugs @ $5/ea b/c I like putting my guns in a rug when taking them to the range instead of using their original box.

Total with tax: $112 to get in and out of Cabelas.
    Last time I was there in June I had about $120 of gift certificates from school for retirement.
    I texted a friend there this am asking him to tell everyone to send more gift certificates! :rofl:

jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    So, only asking because I don't know for sure, can you run .40 s&w in most 10mm pistols? I know you can in revolvers with moon clips but.......

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Never shot that round before and can't say I've seen on the shelves either.
    How punchy does it feel to shoot ? That 1911 platform probably manages it real nice.
    I let the son in law shoot the Colt Delta Elite a few weeks ago and he said he was done shooting any more 10mm after one mag.
    I don't really think they are all that bad. Just depends on the person. Some people complain about .4o and .45.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I let the son in law shoot the Colt Delta Elite a few weeks ago and he said he was done shooting any more 10mm after one mag.
    I don't really think they are all that bad. Just depends on the person. Some people complain about .4o and .45.

No comment.......:cool:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

I put one mag through a Delta Elite and had no interest in another, but I really enjoyed it from the Witness platform.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So, only asking because I don't know for sure, can you run .40 s&w in most 10mm pistols? I know you can in revolvers with moon clips but.......

The guy I bought the Ruger SR1911 10mm says you can shoot 40 though it, but I love my SW 4006 (with adjustable rear sights) for shooting 40 caliber.

OK. Armscor is the most limp wristed round I have fired from a 10mm. Waste of time/effort/gun powder. Ugh.

Well, I guess that explains why there was a $25 & a $28 (Sig Sauer) box, and on up with other manufacturers. :ugh:
    Since I won't have this long, I would have bought at least 1 box, even if it was only 20 rounds, of a powerful round just to experience it.
    I remember the 45 was no big deal, and that was shooting gmcttr's 3 great guns (Kimber/Dan Wesson & can't remember the 3rd), my Ruger 1911 SR45, and a Shield 45 that I had at the time.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    45 acp has to be one of the softest shooting rounds ever. Seriously. If someone complains about recoil from 45 acp, they should probably stick to .22 lr. Even out of my Shield, it probably has less recoil than .38 special out of a heavy revolver.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I run Sig 180 gr. FMJ in my 10mms. Armscor ammo is crap. The PPU 10mm is crap. True 10mm is 180 gr at 1250 FPS. I bet Bobcats offerings are good to go. Most commercial 10mm is @1000 FPS = .40 S&W in a long case. If I want to shoot a .40, I’d just buy one. Sig 10mm flat out rocks.... literally

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I run Sig 180 gr. FMJ in my 10mms. Armscor ammo is crap. The PPU 10mm is crap. True 10mm is 180 gr at 1250 FPS. I bet Bobcats offerings are good to go. Most commercial 10mm is @1000 FPS = .40 S&W in a long case. If I want to shoot a .40, I’d just buy one. Sig 10mm flat out rocks.... literally

I have some sig. I like it.
    Also a lot of full monti Underwood.
    Green box UMC is a good plinking round in this caliber.
    the Wizard put some swell light show offerings together for me.
    I should get down to Bobcat and get some of his stuff but that is a long haul for me from Speedway.

Armscore is the absolute worst. No knock as folks buy cheap and all but man that stuff is crap.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I prefer the SIG FMJ but the S&B when you catch it on sale, is so cheap it is hard to pass on. I bought a case of WWB a week or so ago that was on sale cheap. This will be my first try with it.

I should add. Besides the CDE, I still have a Sig P220 in 10mm.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis

I took just a Glock 10mm and a can of ammo to Parabellum and shot that thing for an hour. Sure, after an hour your hand feels like bologna, but it was fun.:yesway:

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Second the Sig and Underwood ammo. The Sig is pleasant shooting but some of the Underwood will WOW you.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Sig ammo is good stuff. Loaded pretty close to full power, right around 650 lb-ft. And it's not super expensive when you can find it in most instances. The old Win Silvertips are loaded pretty warm too (close to original spec) but they aren't cheap and the bullet is pretty old tech for JHPs (it was a silver tip in 9mm that failed to penetrate to Platt's heart from Dove's gun in the 1986 Miami shootout, though admittedly it had gone through Platt's arm). It's not practice ammo, and it's not good carry ammo.

Underwood of course gets the nod for max performance, but the pull downs I've seen suggest it is likely to be not just "warm" but substantially over book. Like 9.5ish grains of 800-x with 180s. I prefer loading more like the Sig level, warm but safe. And what does that last 50-80 lb ft really get you?

Hornady stuff is slightly warmer than .40sw, but reliable and accurate and not super expensive. I think they quote 1180fps for 180gr loads.

I also shot American Eagle (basically 40 spec) and UMC (probably less than full power 40sw) and WWB (why bother).

Try a couple different loads and see what you like.

Me, I think the Sig is probably the best all around load you can get.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Underwood lives here.....:cool:
    zq4LOWp.jpg

Top Bottom