• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That’s one way to rent a firearm

I've done that quite a bit the past 2.3 yrs.
    Buy a gun instead of renting it for an hour.
    I sometimes keep them for a few day, or few weeks, or even a few months.
    I have a Sig 2022 I bought 3 months ago b/c I'd never had a larger-sized Sig, and I've enjoyed it so much I haven't sold it yet.

I fear our boy is not up to the recoil. 10mm is a mans gun after all.....:):

The 180 grain that I bought, you were right, recoil was no different than some of my 9mms.
    I really should go buy some of that Sig Sauer 10mm that was recommended to get a taste of a real man's gun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a Sig 2022 I bought 3 months ago b/c I'd never had a larger-sized Sig, and I've enjoyed it so much I haven't sold it yet.

The 180 grain that I bought, you were right, recoil was no different than some of my 9mms.
    I really should go buy some of that Sig Sauer 10mm that was recommended to get a taste of a real man's gun.

You should. Life is too short to shoot junk ammo.....:):

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru

That actually works pretty well with heavy equipment. Good price on a used Backhoe, get the job done then resell.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You should. Life is too short to shoot junk ammo.....:):

I wish I'd known when I went to Cabelas that day to buy ammo.
    I was in a hurry and excited to run rounds through the 10mm.
    I should have waited and got advice on what to buy.
    I didn't know the 180 grain was just a 40 caliber type of punch.
    I'm so used to using 115 grain, 124 or 147 grain in 9mm that I ASSUMED 180 grain would be "fun."

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wish I'd know when I went to Cabelas that day to buy ammo.
    I was in a hurry and excited to run rounds through the 10mm.
    I should have waited and got advice on what to buy.
    I didn't know the 180 grain was just a 40 caliber type of punch.
    I'm so used to using 115 grain, 124 or 147 grain in 9mm that I ASSUMED 180 grain would be "fun."

Come on my friend. You saw cheap ammo and that was the motivation.....:):

Read way to many of your posts...:cool:

Hey, what ever gets you to the range yes.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Come on my friend. You saw cheap ammo and that was the motivation.....:):
    Read way to many of your posts...:cool:
    Hey, what ever gets you to the range yes.

Yes, I was looking for the "bargain" ammo in 10mm: you definitely got my number on that. :thumbsup:
    But, I really didn't realize that I was shooting the 40 caliber version of the 10mm and would miss out on what the buzz for a real 10mm round.
    Very irritating actually. :ugh: Perhaps if the range I go to will have a box of the real thing, I'll run a box through it, 200 grain, if I remember correctly.
    I've got free passes to Point Blank in Greenwood I've been saving for some .22 rifle work, perhaps I'll drive down there to get some decent ammo.
    I'll go back and read what is the correct grain and FPS.

I'm not driving clear back up to Cabelas just to get the Sig Sauer, with the highways being askew trying to get North from Wanamaker.
    I have had a couple of .45 acp I enjoyed them, and shot gmcttr's collection, and the only .40 caliber I've got didn't give the "snap" everyone talked about, so I was really looking forward to having to hold on tight to this 10mm, but was very disappointed b/c of the ammo I was using wasn't really a 10mm round.

If the Ruger sells this week before I go out of town, I won't have a chance to do that, but we'll see.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes, I was looking for the "bargain" ammo in 10mm: you definitely got my number on that. :thumbsup:
    But, I really didn't realize that I was shooting the 40 caliber version of the 10mm and would miss out on what the buzz for a real 10mm round.
    Very irritating actually. :ugh: Perhaps if the range I go to will have a box of the real thing, I'll run a box through it, 200 grain, if I remember correctly.
    I've got free passes to Point Blank in Greenwood I've been saving for some .22 rifle work, perhaps I'll drive down there to get some decent ammo.
    I'll go back and read what is the correct grain and FPS.

I'm not driving clear back up to Cabelas just to get the Sig Sauer, with the highways being askew trying to get North from Wanamaker.
    I have had a couple of .45 acp I enjoyed them, and shot gmcttr's collection, and the only .40 caliber I've got didn't give the "snap" everyone talked about, so I was really looking forward to having to hold on tight to this 10mm, but was very disappointed b/c of the ammo I was using wasn't really a 10mm round.

If the Ruger sells this week before I go out of town, I won't have a chance to do that, but we'll see.

It is not the grain weight of the bullet (projectile) but the charge propelling it. Look at the chart posted up thread for the ballistics of each offering and pick according to your manhood.....:shady:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That’s one way to rent a firearm

That actually works pretty well with heavy equipment. Good price on a used Backhoe, get the job done then resell.

I did that with a pickup truck once in my 20s.
    I was having to do an entire whole house remodel before I could even move into a house.
    After I was done I sold it.

I had a friend who was moving and he bought a big truck and moved and sold it after moving.
    All that to avoid Uhaul fees, ha!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It is not the grain weight of the bullet (projectile) but the charge propelling it. Look at the chart posted up thread for the ballistics of each offering and pick according to your manhood.....:shady:

I saw this written on this thread: True 10mm is 180 gr at 1250 FPS.

Online I saw the following all at 180 grains:
    Armscor 10mm being used in 3 different guns was right below and above 1000 FPS. ($20/box)
    Double Tap was over and under 1200 FPS, depending on the length of the barrel. ($50/box)
    Underwood was 1300 FPS ($30/box)
    Sig Sauer 1250 FPS ($30/box)

I did see some Underwood 135 grain, 1600 FPS!!!!!!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You can't believe everything you read on the internet.:laugh6:

They were just reading off the boxes, except the guy actually testing out the Armscor with a chronograph (I think that's what their called).
    You don't think the manufacturers fudge their speeds do you??!!! :laugh: :lmfao:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    They were just reading off the boxes, except the guy actually testing out the Armscor with a chronograph (I think that's what their called).
    You don't think the manufacturers fudge their speeds do you??!!! :laugh: :lmfao:

:ugh: Oops. You CAN believe everything you read on the internet.

I think.

:facepalm:

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I was looking for some range/target 10 mm ammo to test out a Ruger SR1911 10 mm that I traded for (just for fun since I'd never had that caliber).
    I called my most often used range, and they were out.
    Wal Mart didn't carry it.
    Dick's Sporting Goods didn't carry it.

I called Point Blank in Greenwood where I go sometimes and they had some Mag Tech brand for $20/box of 50.
    I was told to stay away from Mag Tech b/c it was very dirty.
    Is it really any dirtier than other less expensive brands in 10mm?

I would be glad to trade some 9mm or even 22LR to get a box or two of 10mm to do a function check on my "new" 10mm if someone lives fairly close to Wanamaker.
    Like .32 or .40 caliber, I don't want to buy it in bulk to get a better price b/c I don't intend to shoot 1000 rounds of it quickly, unlike 9mm or 22LR.

If you are close to Milan, Indiana the local gun shop Warpath Guns has several brands there. S&B and Great Lakes ammo if I have that name correct.

You don't think the manufacturers fudge their speeds do you??!!! :laugh::lmfao:

I think they shoot hundreds of rounds then pick the highest velocity to print on the box lol. They probably use a 8" barrel too :rolleyes:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you are close to Milan, Indiana the local gun shop Warpath Guns has several brands there. S&B and Great Lakes ammo if I have that name correct.

Milan is nearly 4 hours away from Wanamaker, IN (SE side of Indy). :dunno:

\ink they shoot hundreds of rounds then pick the highest velocity to print on the box lol. They probably use a 8" barrel too :rolleyes:

You got that right!
    That's why I liked the videos where they fired 5 rounds from 4-5" barrels, so it was real world.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    You got that right!
    That's why I liked the videos where they fired 5 rounds from 4-5" barrels, so it was real world.

Same. Also reloading manuals need to use real world barrels for testing. 24" barrels for every rifle or 8.5" barrels for calibers like 38 special really?

I just checked. Milan is 67 miles away from you. Down by Batesville. Still a long drive for a few boxes of ammo.
    I'm interested in that same pistol. Been drooling over a Ruger SR1911 10mm at the local gun shop for 2 months now. Waiting for your range report.

Top Bottom