• Total voters

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I am going out on a limb here. If the price was "reasonable" would there be any interest in some 1911 smithing classes? I hold nor do I offer any certifications. I am self taught and I am just offering my experience.

I have been rolling this around in my head and am curious how many people would like to learn some of the ins and outs of the 1911. I hear a lot of talk and I know there would be some interest but there would be cost involved and some of the schooling would be done with equipment that many average people don't own. However the fundamentals would be the same and there knowledge to be had that can be used with different more available tooling.

So who would be willing to pay for this?

The first thing I had in my mind is: I have 2 1911's that I will be fitting new barrels to and if there is enough interest I would be willing to share the knowledge of what is involved.

Also I have a competition trigger to set up and can show you how to do a Crisp, safe and reliable sub 3lb trigger.

Fitting safeties, ejectors, extractors etc.

Another class would be fitting Slides to frames with out a dead blow hammer :)

By a show of hands who would be interested? I am not sure what would be fair cost is but I see what some charge and I have no interest in charging that much.

Doing a complete barrel fitting and explaining fundamentals of function and accuracy I would expect a 3 to 4 hr time frame.

Anybody?

Also be aware that this would be for you to use on your personal firearms and there would be a wavier to sign. It is against the law to accept another persons firearm for repair or service if you must keep it overnight unless you are a FFL.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I"ll assist with the disassembly class If I can get in on the barrel fitting and ejector class:) I would also like a little guidance on thumb safety fitting as I'm sure many others would.. I manage to get them done but I'm sure there's a more efficient way.. Price, knowing you Allen I'm sure it would be fair and more that worth the money.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will pay you to let me watch you thread my barrel......oh, wait, I will be anyway.....:):

Seriously, Allen can show you around the inside of a 1911 and you will come away knowing what was discussed. This is a stellar opportunity.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This sounds interesting. I would raise my hand as a show of interest. (Depending on price, timing, etc., etc.).

ETA: A little idea of the minimum "qualifications" to be able to successfully participate, tools required, etc. would be nice to know. I'm fairly good at field stripping and reassembling but beyond that, I'm a complete noob but am willing to learn.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I'm in for both classes. Even if I never touch one of the internals (already have), it would be nice to know how everything works together.

I'd be interested in the class, but I would still pay you to do all my 1911 gunsmith work.

He will have plenty of work once all of us shade tree gun smiths mess up our guns and have to take them to Allen and CM to fix them. Wait it could be a trap........ :runaway:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I would love to do something like this. I'm not rich in cash or time, but I'd be willing to try to come up with both for an opportunity like this!

Top Bottom