• which would interest you the most?

• Total voters

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    All I can say is that all of you who thought about doing this class and decided not to missed out. What a wonderful experience with like minded individuals. Including myself we had 3 students and one amazing teacher. Allen is very thorough and made sure everyone left with exactly what they wanted. His instruction was outstanding and he explained everything in a way that was easy to understand. He had no issues with checking and double checking what you had done to make sure it was right and did not have any issue answering questions along each and every step. If we had issues he was more than willing and able to help. We were also allowed to proceed at our own pace which was very nice, granted you could only go so far but we were not hindered from moving onto the next step if one of us had an issue or we wanted to spend a little extra time on polishing a particular part. Overall I would rate this class as above outstanding and would take another class from Allen in a heartbeat. If you are on the fence about taking a class from Allen it is time to get off the fence and do it. I know he told us he was not planning on doing any more classes until 2016 but when that time rolls around and he offers this class again you would do yourself a disservice to not take it.

ColdSteel223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Ok this should have been in the training section darn it. waaa2 I missed out.waaa I will keep track of this thread. Extractor tuning and Safety installing are what I am interested in.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Chris, Thanks for the very kind words. I enjoy doing the classes and getting to meet and hangout with other gun people as well.
    So as long as there is interest I plan on continuing.

Coldsteel 223 extractor, saftey, ejector and other small parts fitting is on my radar.

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    AllenM’s 1911 trigger work class is a worthwhile class at a very reasonable cost. If you were on the fence about taking one of his first offerings, find the time and money and go; you will not be disappointed. Allen is an excellent teacher and coach. He takes the time to let you learn the skills needed to safely improve your trigger pull while making sure that you end up with a quality job. The students each came with a pistol and parts if applicable. We each had a specific purpose for our pistols, mine is going to be used for target shooting. Throughout the day we had an educational show and tell regarding shooting styles and the pistol components that improve pistols for various types of competition. It was very interesting to learn about the fire control group components, how they interact with each other and with the rest of the pistol components. I brought a Rock Island and some Ed Brown parts and happily turned a 4.6 lbs trigger into a 3 lbs trigger. Allen kindly helped me mount a red dot sight on the slide while I was there. I took the pistol to the range and it operated flawlessly. I dialed in the sight with the improved, more controllable trigger and was shooting a 1 to 1.25 inch groups at 10 yards. My initial response to my range buddies was ‘this pistol is making me look pretty good!’ So, if you are looking to work on your 1911 and would like some training from a knowledgeable teacher, Allen’s classes are for you.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thanks for that. You should post a pic of your pistol, it looks pretty hot all together. :ar15:

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    tesdt.jpg
    Key changes:
    Vortex Razor 3 MOA dot: A&A Optics
    Vortex Mount: EGW
    From Brownells:
    Ed Brown Maxi-well Mainspring housing
    Clark compensated barrel
    Ed Brown Hammer, disconnector, and sear
    Brownell's spring kit (Wolff Springs)
    Ed Brown fire control group
    Trigger 4.6 to 3 pounds under AllenM's guidance
    Vortex mounted with Allen's help and a BFH :)
    Thanks for that. You should post a pic of your pistol, it looks pretty hot all together. :ar15:

Last edited:

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    To my classmates... If you did not see it already, the sear tool Allen shared with us, 080-835-001MB Brownells/Yavapai Sear Tool, is on sale at Brownells through Sunday 11/22 for $105 vs $160 normally.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    View attachment 42958
    Key changes:
    From Brownells:
    Clark compensated barrel

I do like that look

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    To my classmates... If you did not see it already, the sear tool Allen shared with us, 080-835-001MB Brownells/Yavapai Sear Tool, is on sale at Brownells through Sunday 11/22 for $105 vs $160 normally.

Ah snap! I just order mine two weeks ago for the $160. They were at least running a deal that you get $40 off of a $300 purchase though.

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    Subscribing to the thread for updates on future classes. I have very little 1911 knowledge, but I'm definitely in for a class.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    View attachment 42958
    Key changes:
    From Brownells:
    Clark compensated barrel

Very nice RIA...........

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Question: How well would that trigger work knowledge transfer to other firearms?

I just put a "Charlie Tuna" CBR trigger in my Benjamin air rifle. Supposedly drop in, but it still didn't feel as good as Charlie's reputation dictated.

I traced the issue to a sticky pivot pin. Using a polishing trick taught by Allen, the pin cleaned up well and now moves butter smooth.

Charlie's documentation included pointing out polishing points on the stock parts his trigger mates to. After shooting a bit more, those are next on my list along with two more trigger group pins.

While the info Allen instructed was 1911 specific, the principal applies to other firearms.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I just put a "Charlie Tuna" CBR trigger in my Benjamin air rifle. Supposedly drop in, but it still didn't feel as good as Charlie's reputation dictated.

I traced the issue to a sticky pivot pin. Using a polishing trick taught by Allen, the pin cleaned up well and now moves butter smooth.

Charlie's documentation included pointing out polishing points on the stock parts his trigger mates to. After shooting a bit more, those are next on my list along with two more trigger group pins.

While the info Allen instructed was 1911 specific, the principal applies to other firearms.

Awesome job classmate :yesway:

Top Bottom