• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If we were going to war tomorrow and .45 ACP was the issued pistol round, I'd choose a Glock 21. All day, everyday. No contest. You can't beat the light weight, reliability, ease of maintenance and capacity.

If it's going to be a range toy, a good 1911 is fun to shoot. I don't care for them much, as I don't do the "range toy" thing. Most of my pistols are chosen for practicality, and a 40+ ounce pistol that holds 8 or 9 rounds just don't cut it for me. Hate the grip safety as well. But I understand the love for the shooting dynamics and the light single action trigger. Also the heritage, but not sure how that factors in unless you are buying an actual Colt.

If I wanted to mix range fun with practicality for defense/SHTF, I'd go with an XD or XDm, since you're already into that platform. It's like a Glock and a 1911 had a baby.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Since Route 45 has broken the suggestions outside the choices given. The Sig P220 is a great choice for a non 1911 .45 :):

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    8 stages of 1911 ownership
    1. Overpaying for outdated gun
    2. Telling yourself you love it
    3. Telling your friends how you love it
    4. Getting defensive about owning it
    5. Trying to remember a time it didn't jam
    6. Realizing a stick is just as reliable
    7. Selling it to some other sucker
    8. Happiness

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    8. Happiness

:p

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Glock 45 didn't fit my hand but a Kimber CDP was my favorite. It ran like no other 1911 I ever had. The "melt" treatment made it a great carry gun. Miss it.

Bob

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For 45 ACP the 1911. I've got 1911s that are over 100 years old that are still shooting, it's going to be a long time before that can be said about a Glock.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    This will be a range piece and not a carry gun.

Get the 1911. I have a Springfield Range Officer and for out of the box accuracy I am real pleased. Yeah , I don't see the sights worth a hoot these days so I installed the Fastfire III. Good combo for 50 yard target shooting.
    View attachment 67803

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    8. Happiness

I've not been a firearm enthusiast overly long, but have owned 4 different 1911's and have never experienced any of that. They are a bit more difficult to assemble/disassemble and they're heavy due to being all metal, but otherwise they're fantastic and extremely accurate guns. For a well fit up version, you'll definitely want to keep it cleaner than another standard firearm, but it's not like that's difficult. I know you might have posted this in humor, but I personally love 1911's and find them to be fantastic and well worth the extra money.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Not owned a glock but did own a double stack 45acp. There is a major difference in accuracy with the way the gun handles under recoil due to double vs single stack. The single stack from my experience is much more accurate. Everything above pretty much sums up my experience with 1911’s, kind of a pain to disassemble and reassemble but everything else is worth the extra cost.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not owned a glock but did own a double stack 45acp. There is a major difference in accuracy with the way the gun handles under recoil due to double vs single stack. The single stack from my experience is much more accurate. Everything above pretty much sums up my experience with 1911’s, kind of a pain to disassemble and reassemble but everything else is worth the extra cost.

I guess I have had the 1911’s down so many times over the years that it is just 2nd nature to me. I can have one down to just parts/pieces in minutes. A simple field strip/clean is not an issue. But that’s just me I suppose.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I guess I have had the 1911’s down so many times over the years that it is just 2nd nature to me. I can have one down to just parts/pieces in minutes. A simple field strip/clean is not an issue. But that’s just me I suppose.

Mostly not getting the infamous idiot scratch. Being the first one to scratch a gun is the worst feeling.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus

This is what I was thinking but I started taking them apart in the late '70's. :)

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Take a look at the 1911 picture thread. All beautiful, All different. Now look at a Glock picture thread. Any questions?

Top Bottom