• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunErgy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 4, 2018
    Westfield
    I was in the same market a couple of months back, but in 9mm. I was looking at Glocks and 1911s the hardest (among others). I ended up going with a Gen 4 G17 MOS and putting a Burris Fastfire II on it. You said this was for the range and so is my setup. Very fun to shoot, quick target acquisition and crazy accurate out at distance - all for < $900. BUT, if you are absolutely set on .45 then IMHO you have to go 1911.

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    A lot of good advice. Buy what you can afford, don't go cheap, etc. I have several Kimber .45 models along with Rugers. Last year I dropped by a local pawnshop and saw an old, ugly, worn Citadel 1911 and bought it cheaply. I fell in love with the thing. Maybe I just got lucky but it feels great and shoots great.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Here is my two cents:
    For a range gun that you'll clean regularly go with a 1911. I agree with parrott that you should plan to invest in the piece.
    If you plan at all to carry, go with something else. I just don't think the reliability is on par with the Glock models.
    I carry glocks and so I shoot them almost exclusively. I don't have anything against 1911's, I just try to stay practical with all the firearms I own. I'm not rich enough to have safe queens or range pieces just yet.

farmdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    I have had many 1911 .45's throughout the years:

Colt 1911 x 2
    Springfield National Match
    Detonics Combatmaster x2
    Detonics ServiceMaster
    Ed Brown Classic Custom
    Nighthawk T3 Thin

I have also had other .45's:
    Glock 21
    Sig 220
    Sig 227

For what it's worth, the only one that I still have is the Nighthawk. If I did not want to spend that kind of money for a 1911 that I trust my life to (you stipulated it will be a range toy), I would feel comfortable with most any 1911. If I were on a budget, and my life depended on it, I would have chosen something other than a 1911. (Although I have an uncle that still carries his issued Colt from the Marine Corp in the late 70's. He used it at least twice for its intended purpose as an MP).

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I don't care for the SA/DA Sigs. If I were to go the SA/DA route, I'd get a 3rd gen S&W. I like them a lot.

Even though the OP limited his options to a 1911 and a G****; since you brought it up. The 45 series (4506, 4566, 457 etc.) of third gens are excellent shooters. Not going to find any 1911 like triggers in a 3rd gen though still a lot of gun for $300 to $750.

Jmoreland287

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    NWI
    Get a good 1911. Sig, Smith, Colt, Springfield. Absolutely positively 100% stay away from Taurus, rock island, and Remington. I sold guns for 5 years and had nothing but problems with them.

Bobshell1968

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2016
    Bunker hill
    Always a 45acp lover ....

I've been thinking about getting a .45acp. But I'm kinda torn between a G**** or a 1911. This will be a range piece and not a carry gun.

Here's my thinkin'. I've only shot a few G****s and wasn't thrilled with them. I hit where I was aiming but the grip angle always seems to throw me off. When I bring it up, the front sight is way above the rear. I've heard that you can use that to your advantage in getting a sight picture. So I've been thinking about trying to overcome this.

My wife has a 1911 in 9mm. It's a sweet shooter. Accurate and easy to work. But I don't have one yet. I know the price will be a few hundred over the G****, so I'll have to figure that into the equation.

I guess my eventual plan will be to have a pistol in 9, 40 and 45. That way when the next ammo shortage happens, I'll have more options.

I currently carry 9mm's in the XDm and XDs varieties. I'm not interested in any other models right now so lets keep it on G**** vs 1911.

And go.....
    ive been a 45 acp buyer for yrs now. I’ve got 5 of them. To date the best one I own is a Springfield TRP Operatore. It’s a saweeeeet piece. I go to the local range here in kokomo Indiana and people love it and want to shoot it. So I’m always lettin people try her out. If u buy a 45acp don’t buy a pos. Buy something you’ll love to take out of the safe over that plastic G***k any day. Good luck and remember Get armed. Get trained & carry daily

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    Whenever I hand one of my 1911's to a Glock guy to shoot, they always have a big grin when they have to hand it back to me. Just last week I was at the range with some friends who had never shot a 1911. They were all amazed at how nice the trigger was and how smooth they were to shoot. The 1911 has one of the best triggers on any handgun.

For me, the 1911 just feels "right". My current favorite is a Springfield TRP. It makes any range day a good day.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not a thread jack but my fondness for the 10mm comes from sending the high end Underwood offerings through one of the 3 hand made customs in the safe.
    No, none are G****'s. But if you like-em then run-em.

Superhumvee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2018
    Springfield
    Buy what feels best in your hand. Like others have mentioned, don't buy a cheap sub $500 1911, most likely you will be disappointed, and end up spending a lot of money on upgrades. Sig Tacops and Springfield Loaded versions are pretty good for the money. I'd avoid Kimber, it seems like their quality has slipped in recent years, and Sig has lifetime warranty on their products (vs. 1 year with Kimber- seriously, the HighPoint has a better warranty than Kimber).

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    1911, even if it is only for the range. My friend's STI (older) was quickly the nicest, smoothest, most accurate experience for me with a pistol. I say that even though I don't own any 1911s, or any Glocks. Smith's ergos suit me better than Glock, which I have shot plenty of. When I wanted to go 45, I bought a Sig P227 SAS instead of a 1911 because I wanted something more compact. It fits me very well. The 1911 has a significant "feel" difference to me than a Glock. I just enjoy it more and I think you will too. Some day I'd like to do a 1911 with engraving and maybe pearl handles.

Read what you wrote about the Sigs, but in case you ever change your mind, this Sig really satisfies :)
    14mthf4.jpg

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I have a Springfield champion that I love to carry and shoot at the range. I also carry a Springfield XD45 with the new grip zone. Both shoot great and I split time between them equally at the range. Can't go wrong with either.

Top Bottom