• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • morrisonhawk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Dubois county
    For a production 1911...a Dan Wesson and for a non production handmade...a Wilson Combat. I have 3 Dan Wessons...a Valor Bobtail, a Classic Bobtail and a Heritage full size (Razorback) they are all nice. However a Wilson would probably make me forget about them for a while. You can own one of these for quite a while and not lose much on them when ready to sell if taken care of.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    If I buy a gun , I shoot it. If it's a safe queen , where's the enjoyment of using it? Buy the one that's the most comfortable for you. It's your money, and your the one using it.

See if you can rent a couple , and see what you like.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    If I buy a gun , I shoot it. If it's a safe queen , where's the enjoyment of using it? Buy the one that's the most comfortable for you. It's your money, and your the one using it.

I think they meant buying a used one that had become a safe queen for someone else, rather than buying one to be a safe queen. :)

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers

I think you misunderstood. I would recommend buying someone ELSE'S safe queen, in order to get under the OP's price ceiling. My Wilsons get carried and shot regularly.

EDIT: Yeah, what he ^ said, lol.

Last edited:

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Check out Benchmark Precision. Quality stuff. This can be had for $2195:
    pix861891579.jpg

pix312739081.jpg

pix821658243.jpg

pix206067105.jpg

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    what about a colt gold cup? thats what im looking for. You can find one on gunbroker but not locally.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a SA Range Officer. Around $800. I have not shot any of the custom guns, but I don't know how they could be any tighter or shoot any better groups than my Range Officer. I have over 4000 thousand rounds through mine and never a problem.

My RO's have all been spot on. They are not as pretty but they group and run as well as any of my buddy's high end guns. My SA Trophy Match runs better than some of them for around $1100 to $1300 depending on where you get one.
    AllenM has a sweet used Trophy right here in the classifieds. Just saying.

I have shot offerings from all the high end guy's listed. They are pretty and feel good in your hand and yes, the "Wood" factor is high. In the end I will shoot right with them using almost any of my SA"s

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    If you are buying a 1911 have you ever owned any custom or a high gunsmith worked gun? If not I would recommend buying a nice name brand 1911. Colt, Springfield, or Dan Wesson are all $1000 +/- $250. Shot them and decide what you like and don't like about them. You then can decide what you want to have added or changed on them. With the $2000 you could buy yourself 2 Colt 1911 XSE's with consecutive serial numbers. Shoot them and carry them and they should increase in value if you ever want to sale them. Consecutive serial numbered Colts become collectors over the years. Elmores in Greenwood carries several of the semi production custom guns. I know he had some made by Ed Brown and I think there were some Wilson's there also.

Today most good brand factory guns will shoot and run with a lot of the full gunsmith custom 1911's out there. You use to send you 1911 to a gunsmith to have tolerances tightened up making them shoot tighter groups, feed HP rounds, stop them from biting your hand. Today with the CNC machines the guns come off the machines tighter than gunsmiths could do in the 60's

Last edited:

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Ditto on the used Wilson or Baer, you won't regret your decision after you've put some rounds down range. And yes, I believe these are very much worth the extra coin.
    Best of luck and safe shooting!

jaschutz79

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I've owned or shot Les Baer, Wilson, Ed Brown. I've have a 3500 dollar full custom. For 2k you cant beat a Dan Wesson Valor. It is the only gun i've owned that i've changed nothing on. Also the most accurate pistol i have ever shot.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    In before someone says "you're right because they made it better back then."

:):
    I'm so glad I/we got in before that.

My WC isn't a safe queen, it's on me all day every day except when I'm sleeping at which point it's on the night stand with a 10 round mag inserted and a 10 round spare next to it :). When I carry it's 8+1 and 8.

dt420

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    NW
    I got a great Taurus 1911 that I would sell you. I would even give you a little discount, so you dont have to spend the whole 2grand lol.

Top Bottom