2011NFADay: NFA Days 2011 Date and Time!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Sorry guy; if you've got a stamp in process, you're no longer an NFA newbie and therefore do not qualify for NFA Day...

So if you have never been to an NFA day and are awaiting your first stamp you can't go to either day? Why is that? If you can't go to the newbie NFA day then how can you ever go to alumni day?

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    So if you have never been to an NFA day and are awaiting your first stamp you can't go to either day? Why is that? If you can't go to the newbie NFA day then how can you ever go to alumni day?

You have zoomed in on an issue that has had lengthly discussion by the NFA Days planning group. We started the NFA Day in 2008 with the objective of education of those who have not entered the NFA process. People who have applied for or have received a tax stamp aren't our target audience.

In the second year, Alumni Day was added to allow those who attended NFA Day to show some of the gear they had acquired.

Because of the educational objective, there are people with NFA items that fall outside of our program.

We realize that we don't have the resources (time, money, location) to host the full number of NFA enthusiasts we have here on INGO. That's just the reality of the situation.

For those that don't qualify for our program; I encourage you to plan and host other NFA-themed events around the state (open shoots, suppressor/SBR/machine gun specific events, etc). INGO is big enough to support multiple NFA type events each year. It takes a bit of work, but can be lots of fun! :yesway:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

Because the whole premise of NFA Day is to educate folks who are totally green to the NFA experience. We have always taken enjoyment in showing folks that the mysterious items many believe to be illegal are not and are actually very fun things to enjoy. This was born of our desire to share our sport and protect it through sheer numbers of owners, one big voice in the case that the freedoms to own such things are ever threatened. Having folks who are familiar with the process and experience in attendance is contrary to the spirit of what we are trying to accomplish.

I would LOVE to have a large-scale, everyone is invited, NFA shoot, but I can't seem to come up with a venue. If you'd like to help me out in finding one, I promise I'll do all the leg work to make it happen :D

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    the only requirement to go to NFA alumni day is that you first attend an NFA day. No requirement to have actually purchased an NFA item that Im aware of.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Sorry guy; if you've got a stamp in process, you're no longer an NFA newbie and therefore do not qualify for NFA Day...
    Wow.... that really blows.... I was building this thing in hopes to show it off for NFA day, because I thought the premise of it was for everyone to enjoy NFA items, but now apparently I won't ever be able to participate in an NFA day. That's :poop:. Oh well....

Last edited:

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I would LOVE to have a large-scale, everyone is invited, NFA shoot, but I can't seem to come up with a venue. If you'd like to help me out in finding one, I promise I'll do all the leg work to make it happen :D
    I guess I can see how this would be a challenge, I was always just under the impression that NFA day was just another INGO event. Did not know there was criteria behind it that needed to be upheld. So the next step, Large-scale NFA shoot. I will look forward to whenever that can be set-up. I don't really have many resources, so I can't really do much in the way of setting it up, but would be more then happy to volunteer some time to set-up and clean up if this happens

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I guess I can see how this would be a challenge, I was always just under the impression that NFA day was just another INGO event. Did not know there was criteria behind it that needed to be upheld. So the next step, Large-scale NFA shoot. I will look forward to whenever that can be set-up. I don't really have many resources, so I can't really do much in the way of setting it up, but would be more then happy to volunteer some time to set-up and clean up if this happens

That's awesome and I appreciate the offer! It turns out that I may have a venue now that this thread has been seen by some that can help a brotha out! :rockwoot: Anyway, I think my next undertaking may be a large-scale NFA shoot sometime in the not so distant future.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Hopefully my stamp gets approved and I can attend my first NFA day so next year I can go to the alumni!

I believe that having already started the process of getting the stamp you are no longer elgible for the NFA day. I am sure someone come along and verify this. (unless they already have. I haven't read through the entire thread yet)

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond

It appears there may not really be a way to have a venue that allows an open mix of shooting NFA owners and newbies, nor nearly any way to have an open NFA shoot in general, as any shoot that works well tends to grow too large and thus be limited to the first few years of shooters (i.e. KCR over the last several dozen years) and/or die off due to the effort it takes to run and/or just getting too large to be fun for the organizers.

There are many local private shoots that range from a half dozen shooters up to however many can fit in the length of the firing line (one of which was discussed last year here in the fall ;-). However, unless you are related to one of the shooters or best buds with the land owner, there is almost never an invite for newbies.

The NFA Day is an interesting start, however, still does not get the new NFA machinegun owners connected with the vast majority of every day existing NFA shooters, excluding the few hosting the shoot.

One interesting option for an open shoot would be an INGO day to KCR in Ky (ok not Indiana but not that many open ranges that allow NFA). We use to do this in the past for friends, KCR Shoot March 1997, however, the last few years everyone is older and always has a different day that is better or just shoots on private ranges. The major issues of ammo quality (one really needs to shoot only what the owner shoots, instead of the cheapest mass reloads or Paragon ammo) and liability of someone gets hurt (been known to happen). Due to heath issues I am out of match and shoot promotion projects for the near future.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    You have zoomed in on an issue that has had lengthly discussion by the NFA Days planning group. We started the NFA Day in 2008 with the objective of education of those who have not entered the NFA process. People who have applied for or have received a tax stamp aren't our target audience.

In the second year, Alumni Day was added to allow those who attended NFA Day to show some of the gear they had acquired.

Because of the educational objective, there are people with NFA items that fall outside of our program.

We realize that we don't have the resources (time, money, location) to host the full number of NFA enthusiasts we have here on INGO. That's just the reality of the situation.

For those that don't qualify for our program; I encourage you to plan and host other NFA-themed events around the state (open shoots, suppressor/SBR/machine gun specific events, etc). INGO is big enough to support multiple NFA type events each year. It takes a bit of work, but can be lots of fun! :yesway:

Because the whole premise of NFA Day is to educate folks who are totally green to the NFA experience. We have always taken enjoyment in showing folks that the mysterious items many believe to be illegal are not and are actually very fun things to enjoy. This was born of our desire to share our sport and protect it through sheer numbers of owners, one big voice in the case that the freedoms to own such things are ever threatened. Having folks who are familiar with the process and experience in attendance is contrary to the spirit of what we are trying to accomplish.

I understand what you both are saying but really think it is far from fair. I did order my first suppressor but won't even be able to send in my paperwork before the shoot. I don't currently "own" any items but since I decided to buy something from what I have read on the web and word of mouth then I am out. That is far from fair when I am a new NFA person wanting to get into it more and you have people probably coming to the alumni shoot haven't bought anything at all that is in the NFA arena after going to their first NFA day.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom