• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    Talked to people at Point Blank range. No increase in sales and no increase in prices. So far all smoke, no fire.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Talked to people at Point Blank range. No increase in sales and no increase in prices. So far all smoke, no fire.
    Dang it... I thought we were in a frenzy... someone is failing to carry their weight here.

I think most gun owners figure after our Republican pols weathered Sandy Hook, they can weather anything. Speaker Ryan seems to be willing to resist Trump on the subject as well.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    On what basis?

Same basis as many other age based decisions that businesses make. Alcohol/tobacco purchases and ID - "if you don't look 45 we card you". Car rental companies that refuse to rent to licensed drivers under age age (25).

What would be your basis for a claim of discrimination?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Same basis as many other age based decisions that businesses make. Alcohol/tobacco purchases and ID - "if you don't look 45 we card you". Car rental companies that refuse to rent to licensed drivers under age age (25).

What would be your basis for a claim of discrimination?

Regarding alcohol/tobacco: the age restriction is for verification of age (i.e. being carded), NOT for refusal of sale.

Regarding auto rentals: one, it is a blanket policy for all cars, and not just for one particular car; two, it is a rental contract, and not a purchase of goods. So, no: I don't think the legality would be on either basis.

The basis of the claim for discrimination would be simple: sale of an otherwise lawful product, to an otherwise lawful person, denied on the basis of age.

Could Dick's likewise implement a policy of refusing sales to anyone over a certain age? Why, or why not?

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Really? Nothing happened in 1968, 1986, nor 1994.....

If you're not aware, those are the years when they passed exactly this type of legislation and made future manufacture of weapons commonly held by civilians illegal. There were no riots, war, etc... Gun owners just rolled over and took it.
    In 1968 Gun owners including the NRA weren't organized and prepared and lost that round. As for not having an uprising, there already were riots because there were so many other things to fight about...and the GCA '68 didn't actually ban our guns, it "just" put regulations in place for future abuse by gov't
    1986 was on balance, a roll back of gun regulations and BATF abuses. Ownership of full-auto weapons was the exception that was thrown under the bus because politics is a business of dirty deals and compromises.
    1994..."gun owners rolled over and took it"? We took Congress away from the DNC and turned sleazy willy into a lame duck before he was through with his first term. At Ruby Ridge and Waco, people shot back and killed federal agents. Then McVeigh & associates blew up the Murrah Federal Building, and militia groups sprouted up across the country like mushrooms. The nanny-statists couldn't run away from the logical outcome of their policies fast enough. I recall diane feinstein lecturing the BATF over the Waco raid as if she was a civil libertarian.

True, it's less likely that there would be an armed revolt now than in the past--way less likely than in 1775--because the country has drifted hard to the left...and down in general, but push people far enough...

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Isn't this an argument for banning greater than 10 round magazines? The way I read it, it sounds like he had a problem changing out the lesser capacity magazines.

That's the argument Marco Rubio is making... if shooter had higher capacity magazines he would/could have inflicted more damage.

Granted it makes the opposite argument logical as well. A ban on 10+ round magazines will not prevent a massacre, and Parkland is one of many evidences of that fact.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That's the argument Marco Rubio is making... if shooter had higher capacity magazines he would/could have inflicted more damage.

Granted it makes the opposite argument logical as well. A ban on 10+ round magazines will not prevent a massacre, and Parkland is one of many evidences of that fact.

And...if he had the training for using that rifle that some gun banners are saying they'd like to see implemented, his failures might have not occurred.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Cruz went in with only 10-round magazines because larger clips would not fit in his duffel bag, Book said...

Doesn't inspire confidence in the writer knowing what they are talking about or having it right.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    ...Cruz went in with only 10-round magazines because larger clips would not fit in his duffel bag, Book said...

Doesn't inspire confidence in the writer knowing what they are talking about or having it right.

Meh...I hear gun owners all the time interchange clip and magazine terms. Being regulars in an environment like INGO, we sort of train each other better but there's still plenty of folks that own plenty of guns that you'll hear conflate these two. Still doesn't mean the writer isn't an ignoramus on guns though.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Meh...I hear gun owners all the time interchange clip and magazine terms. Being regulars in an environment like INGO, we sort of train each other better but there's still plenty of folks that own plenty of guns that you'll hear conflate these two. Still doesn't mean the writer isn't an ignoramus on guns though.

My dad calls them clips to aggravate me...He said that's what he always called them and he is to old to change....

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I tend to hang with folks that actually shoot their guns. You don't get away with "clips" that aren't really clips in that world.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My dad calls them clips to aggravate me...He said that's what he always called them and he is to old to change....
    A bunch of the old WW2 vets I was raised around called them clips. So I never got on the angry language correction bandwagon. Even in the old war movies the guys carrying the M1 carbines or grease guns said clips.

Top Bottom