• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Did a brisket last night, y'all be slacking.

WcFR6f.jpg

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    **Guys Cooking Thread** BBQ/Smoking/Sous Vide/Sous-B-Q**

Hey guys, dont think one of these exist on this forum, but it maybe a great spot to share, learn, and talk cooking! I personally am always firing up my Kamado grill and smoking, grilling, and roasting stuff on it! In the winter, I do a lot of Sous Vide, and Sous-B-Q. Figured it would be a great sport to share amazing recipes... pics of what we have done, and information around it.

I will share some general links to info that I think are very valuable and useful pieces of info!

All things Sous Vide - Time and Temp/The Science of it:
    A Practical Guide to Sous Vide Cooking

Kamado/Grilling/Smoking video library!
    https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/8100-kamado-cooking-video-index/

Smoke-What you need to know:
    https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/35142-smoke-what-you-need-to-know/

The Secrets and Myths of Marinades, Brinerades, and how Gashing can make them work better:
    https://amazingribs.com/tested-reci...yths-marinades-brinerades-and-how-gashing-can

Top 5 Meat Tips:
    https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/meathead’s-top-5-meat-tips

The Nose Rules the Tongue: Smell is completely different than taste... Why thats important (updated 2/3/18)
    http://sousvideresources.com/…/the-nose-rules-the-tongue-a…/

**Ill be updating the links as I find relevant info to post**

Last edited:

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Here is a smaller boneless Prime Rib Roast I did over the summer! I cooked this one Sous-B-Q! I vacuum sealed the meat "naked" and put the package into the sous vide bath at 131 for 9hrs.

About an hour before the sous vide cook was done, I fired up the Kamado Joe and got it right to 500... I set up the grill so that one top grate had a heat deflector under it, and the other was a flat cast iron griddle with no heat deflector.

After 9 hrs I removed the prime rib from the bag and patted the entire thing dry! I then applied a homemade rub to it before it went onto the Kamado

The rub consisted of:
    2 tablespoons fennel seed
    2 tablespoons whole coriander seed
    3 tablespoons granulated garlic
    1/2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
    1 tablespoons caraway seed
    1 tablespoon black peppercorns
    1/4 cup coarse sea salt

From there I seared the prime rib on the cast iron griddle until it looked like it had a decent crust on it! Once I was satisfied, I pulled it and any spots I was not happy with, I torched to get a final amazing looking piece of meat!

I let it rest for about 10-15 mins and carved for the family!
    Some of the best Prime Rib I have ever eaten!

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    We've had one going each year for the past several but not necessarily as all inclusive as your idea

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...tuitous-grilling-griddlin-bbq-etc-thread.html

Do you think I should migrate over there or start this one? I would like to keep this to educational posts and recipes vs just pics! Nothing wrong with awesome pics, but I think getting the whole process so others can duplicate is a good idea. Open to thoughts... and don't want to have a duplicate thread going.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Do you think I should migrate over there or start this one? I would like to keep this to educational posts and recipes vs just pics! Nothing wrong with awesome pics, but I think getting the whole process so others can duplicate is a good idea. Open to thoughts... and don't want to have a duplicate thread going.

I don't see an issue with having both. I've got a lot of smoking under my belt but I'm pretty new to sous vide. Sometimes more is better.

This is my reverse seared prime rib from Christmas Eve.

a2wDkZIh.jpg

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I don't see an issue with having both. I've got a lot of smoking under my belt but I'm pretty new to sous vide. Sometimes more is better.

This is my reverse seared prime rib from Christmas Eve.

a2wDkZIh.jpg

Looks amazing brother! Nice work:) Mind sharing what you did... Cook time, seasoning, sear, etc...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I prepped it around noon the day before I cooked it. Rinsed, patted dry and seasoned with granulated garlic, Alaea salt and fresh ground pepper. Left it uncovered in the fridge overnight on an elevated rack then pulled it out a few hours before it went on the smoker (internal read 47* when it went on). I put it on the smoker at 150* around 12:15pm with plans to eat dinner at 6. It got to the 120* range and I pulled it and cranked the BGE up to a couple million degrees before searing and letting it rest for ten minutes before slicing.

Pre-sear

ZiGmVmCh.jpg

Post sear

OJWqSxrh.jpg

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    At one time, before I knew any better, I would coat these with a butter herb rub and bag it... Now, its only naked!

Super simple stuff here, threw a few racks of lamb into some bags, vacuum sealed them up, and let my machine do its thing... 133 for 5 hours! I then seasoned these with some AP, garlic powder, and oregano, tossed them in a pan seared and basted with some ghee. Hit it with a torch to take care of any spots that would not lay flat in the pan.

I also torched a few of the pieces once I cut them because some of the guest I had over liked theirs a bit more "done". **Perfection**!

26043965208_6adc64c09b_k.jpg

26043964758_d52d9b192e_k.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    At one time, before I knew any better, I would coat these with a butter herb rub and bag it... Now, its only naked!

Super simple stuff here, threw a few racks of lamb into some bags, vacuum sealed them up, and let my machine do its thing... 133 for 5 hours! I then seasoned these with some AP, garlic powder, and oregano, tossed them in a pan seared and basted with some ghee. Hit it with a torch to take care of any spots that would not lay flat in the pan.

I also torched a few of the pieces once I cut them because some of the guest I had over liked theirs a bit more "done". **Perfection**!

26043965208_6adc64c09b_k.jpg

26043964758_d52d9b192e_k.jpg

Meat Popsicles my favorite

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom