Veggies.

QJ7j4I.jpg

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Fargo - you said you have a large family to feed. I gotta ask how biga family is it?
    Based on what the pic's of the food you cook, I would not want your grocery bill. But dang you make some good looking food. Every week before I make a grocery list, I look here to see what sounds good.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Sous-B-Q Picanha!! For those of you guys who do not know, Picanha is the top sirloin cap. You typically find it at Brazilian steak specialty places or steakhouses that grill and sliced off of a skewer. Some American butchers often times get Tri-tip and sirloin steak confused with the top sirloin cap. Not the same! Picanha is some of the best steak I have ever eaten, and for me its best served pre cut in slices!

For this one, I bagged it naked, and let it ride at 130 for 4hrs. I then simply hit the protein with some salt, pepper, garlic, and threw it on my Kamado grill. I used a cast iron searing plate with a small amount of ghee and thyme for basting and aromatics. Roughly 20 seconds on each side. Cut it across the grain and serve! Perfect Pink edge to edge cook... Absolutely an amazing treat for all guests!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You gents have me interested in Sous Vide cooking. What brand /model do you use? Unique containers? Stock pots, cooler, specialty container? Cook meat in foodsaver vac bags?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You gents have me interested in Sous Vide cooking. What brand /model do you use? Unique containers? Stock pots, cooler, specialty container? Cook meat in foodsaver vac bags?
    yeah, what he said. After following the other threads, I’m about to pull the trigger on trying it myself.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi

yeah, what he said. After following the other threads, IÂ’m about to pull the trigger on trying it myself.

Honestly guys, IMO the machine is the machine. IMHO I would decide on how big a container you plan on trying to heat. For me, I am typically cooking for between 4-8 people, but at times I host large parties that I cook for so I wanted something that would be able to heat a larger tub of water.

I bought the Anova (Wifi version) on sale at Best Buy for $100 bucks. Going in, I had no idea what the hell I was doing or buying... At the time, I thought the Wifi version would be great as I could control it from anyplace I had a internet connection. Honestly... that part of it is a waste of money. At this point knowing what I know, I could care less about the "wifi"... The good news is it is able to heat a larger tub vs the regular BlueTooth version. The wifi version is 900 watt vs the BT being 800 watt. So when comparing those two, it was the right choice! I want to make one last point... My uncle wanted to get int sous vide cooking after he ate over here. He went out and bought the cheapest "heater" he could get... I think it was like $50-$75 bucks. Just do yourself a favor and buy a Joule or Anova as an entry level machine. Its worth it to spend the extra cash than deal with what I have seen in the other less popular brands.

I think when deciding on a machine, look at how much water you plan to heat, decide which brand you feel comfortable with, and jump in! I have not had any issues with my Anova, and think its a fantastic value buy.

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culina...7862&sr=1-4&keywords=anova+900+watt+sous+vide

When it comes to "containers"... Dont waste your money on any of these clear bins or fancy "Sous Vide" marketed containers. After my first small cook, I went nuts and bought a bunch of sous vide items: the little balls, clips, the cool clear containers, etc... Now I use a cooler. Its just better with way more room! If you don't want to cut the lid on a dedicated cooler, then I would say the balls are fine for insulation! Here is a quick idea for set up:

Get whatever size you think you are going to need!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BMB8QK/ref=pe_850240_268033290_em_1p_0_im?pldnSite=1

I recently drilled out the lid of a cooler and found a $2 gasket to cover the gap. It's been working well so far

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Flush-Valve-Â…/205172264

That setup will serve you guys well and you will have a set up for cooking and have spent under $150!!! Some of these sous vide machines that are an all in one deal can be upwards of $1k plus.

Other things you need... A nice Cast Iron Skillet and a Benzomatic torch. I would highly recommend TS8000 version as it gets much hotter than other models and imo give a much better sear on anything you want to torch. I have had a few torches now, and its not even close... The 8000 is the one to get.

https://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-...1517667844&sr=8-1&keywords=bernzomatic+ts8000

Optional... Searzall- Its a very nice option to get a good sear on your food, certainly not 100% necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/Searzall-Torch-Attachment-Small-Stainless/dp/B00L2P0KNO

Last thing to note here: Ziplock Bags or Food Saver... Guys both work, and I have used both. I personally think that the water displacement method will get the job done, and I have used it for burgers, smaller steaks, etc... I have had a few occasions where water has gotten in the bags (no good). If you have the extra cash or a food saver already, its 100% worth it IMO. Not only can you use it to cook, but storage of cooked food or food you have bought in bulk is awesome! I use my vacuum sealer so often I have personally considered buying a Vacmaster... I just cant justify the cost though since my food saver is working fine. I got my food saver on sale at Costco for around $150 bucks around a year ago.

I think that covers all that is needed, some options, my opinions on things, and my recommendations.

BEFORE buying anything, I would seriously go through and read the links I have posted in my original OP. There is a lot of bad info and myths floating around sous vide cooking. Sous Vide, Sous-B-Q, etc is unlike any other cooking I have done. Although its super easy (seal in bag, no seasoning... drop in water, let sit until pasteurized) and makes some of the best food I have ever eaten (we rarely go out to dinner anymore, because the food I make at home is just better than restaurants) its very important to understand the science behind it.

**On almost all youtube videos, cooking apps from Joule/Anova, etc... they all give info on putting herbs and stuff in the bag prior to cooking. Its simply wrong and the science behind flavor penetration proves that. Ill never insist that if you want to, not to... but seasoning and herbs are expensive. More on this point in the links in my OP**

Hope you guys found this post useful!

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    So is this the new bbq thread lol. Maybe they can be merged. I never kniwnwhich one to post in lol

Me too, I have no issue with my thread being merged with this one or vice versa.

Hey guys... No, I dont think that was my intention for this. I have not been to the other thread as I didnt know prior to making this thread that there was one. This thread was/is meant to be used as a specific informative thread... for recipes and specific info on BBQ-Sous-Gear.

Was really hoping to only get posts with specifics on recipes and informative posts.... Not just a picture thread.

If yours is that, I say lets merge them. I dont care which one is the lead thread or how a merge works. Fine either way.

As stated, if the other one is specific for info and recipes, lets do it... if its just a "hey look at my food/what I can cook" with no recipes... lets keep both. You guys tell me!

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Hey guys... No, I dont think that was my intention for this. I have not been to the other thread as I didnt know prior to making this thread that there was one. This thread was/is meant to be used as a specific informative thread... for recipes and specific info on BBQ-Sous-Gear.

Was really hoping to only get posts with specifics on recipes and informative posts.... Not just a picture thread.

If yours is that, I say lets merge them. I dont care which one is the lead thread or how a merge works. Fine either way.

As stated, if the other one is specific for info and recipes, lets do it... if its just a "hey look at my food/what I can cook" with no recipes... lets keep both. You guys tell me!

It's up to you too, I think merging them is a good idea. If you guys are game, I will merge this into the gratuitous grilling thread, as that was here first.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well crap. I wish there was someone making decent offsets around here. Unfortunately it seems to be an all or nothing proposition, spend $5000 on a huge trailer smoker designed to cook for hundreds or buy junk from the big box stores.
    No doubt, my one Brinkman is 12 years old, and the other is 8, and both are in need of rebuild. Nothing in the stores today compares. I wish Brinkmann wouldn't have quit making them.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    For Thanksgiving this year, I made a Spatchcock Turkey... I literally used the "All Things BBQ" Recipe, so Ill just leave it here! Those guys do some amazing cooks... couldn't have been happier with the bird this year!

Spatchcock Turkey with Roasted Root Vegetables
    Ingredients

• One turkey (10 to 12-pound bird)
    • 1 lb unsalted butter, melted
    • Cattleman’s Grill Ranchero Seasoning
    • 2 lbs root vegetables (carrots, radish, turnip, parsnip, onion), medium dice
    • Garlic
    • Thyme
    • Rosemary
    • bacon

Instructions

Spatchcock the turkey by placing a dry towel on a cutting board (the towel will prevent the bird from slipping and it will collect any juices that would otherwise pill onto your table). Place the bird on top of the towel cavity down and facing away from you. Using a paring knife place a small incision on both sides of the color bone (aka wishbone) and pull it out. This will help in the carving.

Using a sharp chefs knife or a strong pare of poultry shears cut out the backbone (it is a good idea to use a cut glove). If you are using a knife keep the bird standing up and cut down one side of the backbone. Lay the bird on its side and cut on the other side of the backbone to remove.

If using shears, place the bird on the cutting board breast side down and cut from either end down each side of the backbone.

Now that the backbone is removed place the bird on the cutting board breast side up. Place both hands on the breast and push down to crack part of the keel bone and portions of the shoulder joints and ribs.

Use a kitchen injector, inject the melted butter throughout the white and dark meat. Be sure to inject evenly throughout the bird. Try your best to not puncture the skin while injecting.

Use a bit of the leftover butter to cover the outside of the bird. Starting from the inside of the bird, season what was the cavity first. Flip the bird over and season the presentation side. Place bird skin side up atop a bed of your chopped and mixed root roast.

Stabilize your Kamado Joe at 325ºF. Place two chunks of cherry wood (not soaked) on the fire. Before you put your root roast and bird on the grill, wait for the cherry wood to combust. The smoke should go from cloudy white to cleaning up and having a clear with a blue tinge. This should take about five minutes.

Rake all of the coals to one side of the grill. This will be a direct cook but you want to have the bird as high as you can so use the conquer and divide system and set your grill grates to the highest setting. Place the tray with the turkey and root roast on your cooking service and close the lid. I prefer to have the side of the tray with the legs on it directly over the side we banked the coals to.

Cook 1 ½ hours to 2 hours. There is no need to turn the turkey over. Take the temperature of the breast. Health code mandates that the chicken reaches 165 degrees internal temperature. I prefer to take the bird off when the white meat is at 160 degrees (carryover cooking will take it to 165 as it rests) and the legs/thighs are around 180. Double check and make sure that the bird has risen to the correct internal temperature before serving.

At this point, you are done. Let the bird rest for 10 minutes and carve the bird the best way you see fit.

Here are some pics
    clear.png

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom