• Status
    Not open for further replies.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    What temp do you take your steaks up to before searing? That's a beautiful crust you have on it.

Crust is from seasoning, T-bones were dry brined and zero crust vs the Ribeyes that had beautiful crust using Dale's steak seasoning, Weber Chicago steak seasoning, followed by cracked pepper. I would shoot for 135*+ on smoke then swap them over to the firebox to put the sear on them, if they still are not at temp they simply go back to the smoke side. You simply cannot loose. If you are a simple minded guy you will get beautiful crust/bark from simple salt/pepper.

I have fancy temp readers but they are not needed on steaks. Pulled T-bones at 155* for a finished med 160* finish.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Crust is from seasoning, T-bones were dry brined and zero crust vs the Ribeyes that had beautiful crust using Dale's steak seasoning, Weber Chicago steak seasoning, followed by cracked pepper. I would shoot for 135*+ on smoke then swap them over to the firebox to put the sear on them, if they still are not at temp they simply go back to the smoke side. You simply cannot loose. If you are a simple minded guy you will get beautiful crust/bark from simple salt/pepper.

I have fancy temp readers but they are not needed on steaks. Pulled T-bones at 155* for a finished med 160* finish.
    I have my steaks cut 1-1/2” thick, boneless or bone in, if I run them to 155*, I will get well done at BEST, how do you get medium at 155*?

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I have my steaks cut 1-1/2” thick, boneless or bone in, if I run them to 155*, I will get well done at BEST, how do you get medium at 155*?

Steak Doneness Remove from Grill at this Temperature Final Cooked Temperature
    Rare 130 to 135°F 130 to 140°F
    Medium Rare 140°F 145°F
    Medium 155°F 160°F
    Well Done 165°F 170°F

I just use this guide, I probe them and pull them at 155* and assume they finish at 160*.

No complaints but maybe I am doing it wrong. The smoke changes the color of the meat so you don't have the nice red meat regardless.

Really never needed to probe steaks as I could almost always get them by eye but smoking them can be deceiving.

1 1/2in. steaks should be easy to get a nice long smoke on and a nice sear without getting the inside to hot?

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I'm so good at making steaks , whenever i grill out i end up making hamburgers...heh. My buddy does a damn good job on the grillin of steaks, but he buys good stuff and marinates. When he used to live with me, summertime was grill time.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My Char-Broil propane unit finally rusted apart last season, so I decided to go charcoal this year. I bought the copper-colored kettle w/ a nice cover for $100 and got the smaller blue kettle for free. The larger one looks like it probably only has one season on it, if that.

6yjpzb.jpg

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    My Char-Broil propane unit finally rusted apart last season, so I decided to go charcoal this year. I bought the copper-colored kettle w/ a nice cover for $100 and got the smaller blue kettle for free. The larger one looks like it probably only has one season on it, if that.

6yjpzb.jpg
    That is an excellent deal on those, I have an older performer that probably is going on 20 years old and still works great.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Running hot hot on the offset smoker to do some meal prep for the week, have some burgers, chicken breast, smoked sausage, ground sausage, ground beef.

Took the ground burger in to finish off as taco meat and the ground sausage in to finish as biscuits and gravy.

Meal prep for the week is done.

Attachments

• IMG_20180225_140219689_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20180225_140219689_HDR.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 9
    • IMG_20180225_140820841_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20180225_140820841_HDR.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 9

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Come on guys...

Before

After

Chicken marinated in Yuengling beer, Fiesta seasoning, real butter, pepper, and jalapenos.

3 breast, 3 onions, 3 peppers, 2 jalapenos, easy ratio if you are a noob...

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I've been toying with the idea of building a cinder block smoker on the cheap...missing cooking some good meats

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The wife surprised me yesterday...After months of begging, cajoling, and moping I got my PK 360 grill...This isn't mine but it looks dead like it...I nearly cried...Seasoned her last night....Pork and fish on the menu tonight...It was hard to come to the shop today....I didn't want to leave it....

20170729_164246.jpg

51ng5sAeBhL.jpg
    719ZzlKdYQL._SX466_.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The wife surprised me yesterday...After months of begging, cajoling, and moping I got my PK 360 grill...This isn't mine but it looks dead like it...I nearly cried...Seasoned her last night....Pork and fish on the menu tonight...It was hard to come to the shop today....I didn't want to leave it....

20170729_164246.jpg

51ng5sAeBhL.jpg
    719ZzlKdYQL._SX466_.jpg
    Hey George, did you get a free Astro stuffy with that? Looks straight outta the Jetsons cartoons. Interested to see how it performs.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    My parents were out of town over Easter, so we had to do it yesterday. Grocery store had pork tenderloin on sale. Yesterday
    ICCm4ob.jpg

And repurposed leftovers tonight.
    y5DLnIP.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ribeyes. A half dozen of us went in on a case of them at Costco which gets the price down to under 7 bucks a pound if you time it right.

Fargo, I'm really thinking of getting a flat top grill. I like the idea of throwing whatever I want on and cooking it. No flare ups, no lost food between the grates. Can cook eggs, bacon, vegetables by just tossing them on.

Any drawbacks to it?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Just a heads up, Costco Greenwood has boneless leg of lamb $5 and change per pound, but also a $4.00 off per package “instant savings”. $15 boneless leg of lamb for $11 for the egg this weekend, (as long as it floats).

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Fargo, I'm really thinking of getting a flat top grill. I like the idea of throwing whatever I want on and cooking it. No flare ups, no lost food between the grates. Can cook eggs, bacon, vegetables by just tossing them on.

Any drawbacks to it?

Not really, mine gets used way more than any of my other grills. I can't even remember the last time I cooked on the stovetop. Highly recommend.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom