• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    For Thanksgiving this year, I made a Spatchcock Turkey... I literally used the "All Things BBQ" Recipe, so Ill just leave it here! Those guys do some amazing cooks... couldn't have been happier with the bird this year!

Spatchcock Turkey with Roasted Root Vegetables
    Ingredients

• One turkey (10 to 12-pound bird)
    • 1 lb unsalted butter, melted
    • Cattleman’s Grill Ranchero Seasoning
    • 2 lbs root vegetables (carrots, radish, turnip, parsnip, onion), medium dice
    • Garlic
    • Thyme
    • Rosemary
    • bacon

Instructions

Spatchcock the turkey by placing a dry towel on a cutting board (the towel will prevent the bird from slipping and it will collect any juices that would otherwise pill onto your table). Place the bird on top of the towel cavity down and facing away from you. Using a paring knife place a small incision on both sides of the color bone (aka wishbone) and pull it out. This will help in the carving.

Using a sharp chefs knife or a strong pare of poultry shears cut out the backbone (it is a good idea to use a cut glove). If you are using a knife keep the bird standing up and cut down one side of the backbone. Lay the bird on its side and cut on the other side of the backbone to remove.

If using shears, place the bird on the cutting board breast side down and cut from either end down each side of the backbone.

Now that the backbone is removed place the bird on the cutting board breast side up. Place both hands on the breast and push down to crack part of the keel bone and portions of the shoulder joints and ribs.

Use a kitchen injector, inject the melted butter throughout the white and dark meat. Be sure to inject evenly throughout the bird. Try your best to not puncture the skin while injecting.

Use a bit of the leftover butter to cover the outside of the bird. Starting from the inside of the bird, season what was the cavity first. Flip the bird over and season the presentation side. Place bird skin side up atop a bed of your chopped and mixed root roast.

Stabilize your Kamado Joe at 325ºF. Place two chunks of cherry wood (not soaked) on the fire. Before you put your root roast and bird on the grill, wait for the cherry wood to combust. The smoke should go from cloudy white to cleaning up and having a clear with a blue tinge. This should take about five minutes.

Rake all of the coals to one side of the grill. This will be a direct cook but you want to have the bird as high as you can so use the conquer and divide system and set your grill grates to the highest setting. Place the tray with the turkey and root roast on your cooking service and close the lid. I prefer to have the side of the tray with the legs on it directly over the side we banked the coals to.

Cook 1 ½ hours to 2 hours. There is no need to turn the turkey over. Take the temperature of the breast. Health code mandates that the chicken reaches 165 degrees internal temperature. I prefer to take the bird off when the white meat is at 160 degrees (carryover cooking will take it to 165 as it rests) and the legs/thighs are around 180. Double check and make sure that the bird has risen to the correct internal temperature before serving.

At this point, you are done. Let the bird rest for 10 minutes and carve the bird the best way you see fit.

Here are some pics
    clear.png

That looks awesome, did you do something extra to get the skin that crispy or did 325 get you there? Based on your skill level, I'm guessing you already know this but as a public service announcement the USDA says you can go lower than 165 as long as time is factored. 5 minutes at 150 gets everything just as dead as 1 second at 165. Of course having an accurate thermometer and knowing where to place it is essential!

https://meathaccp.wisc.edu/validation/assets/App A Poultry.pdf

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    yeah, what he said. After following the other threads, I’m about to pull the trigger on trying it myself.
    I use the Anova Bluetooth, highly recommend it, but you do get a little bit more heating power out of the Wi-Fi version. I am generally cooking for at least 10 per meal, so I generally use a 5 gallon bucket that I got from the Kroger bakery. I will also use my 5 gallon Gatorade cooler with ping-pong balls on top if I am doing a longer cook where I am worried about losing too much heat or evaporation.

Anovas can be somewhat sensitive to too much steam hitting the vents in the unit and get wonky until dried out so if you are going to run them for a long period of time, I recommend ping-pong balls or some sort of cover. I will also use a cooler similar to the one above if I need more capacity.

I have a food saver, but generally only use it if I'm going to freeze something or if it is something that is going to be in for a long time and I am worried that a Ziploc might pop open. Other than that, I just usually go the lazy way and ziploc. I use alligator clamps to clamp the top of the bag(s) to the edge of the bucket to keep them away from the impeller port.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kroger was closing out a bunch of 13–15 colossal shrimp for six bucks a pound so I picked some up. I shelled them and then dusted with baking soda and let sit in the fridge for a few hours. For whatever reason, the alkalinity changes the surface of the shrimp to where they sear much more quickly and you get that delicious char. Then I griddled them in butter with a little bit of Chesapeake bay seasoning.

IvjlEZ.jpg

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    My Ugly Drum Smoker gets uglier every year.

Smoking a butt for Keto-friendly pulled pork. Had to make a rub without sugar, so I’m not expecting much in the way of bark.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Well crap. I wish there was someone making decent offsets around here. Unfortunately it seems to be an all or nothing proposition, spend $5000 on a huge trailer smoker designed to cook for hundreds or buy junk from the big box stores.

I've built a few. The only problem is that few people want to actually spend the money on one. I built a huge offset - double wall insulated with a 1/4 inch steel firebox/grill. The cost of materials was over $1,500 and everyone flipped out over how expensive it was. I enjoy building them, but it's not worth it if people aren't willing to pay more than the price of materials.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/343733-building-smoker.html

Last edited:

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I've built a few. The only problem is that few people want to actually spend the money on one. I built a huge offset - double wall insulated with a 1/4 inch steel firebox/grill. The cost of materials was over $1,500 and everyone flipped out over how expensive it was. I enjoy building them, but it's not worth it if people aren't willing to pay more than the price of materials.

That thing is a Work of art rookie! Curious, and don't answer if you don't feel like it, but what would labor run on that if you built another one?

Id like an offset to compliment my wsm, but like phylo, I want something that will last.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

I remember that thread and you are correct, the price of materials alone makes me cringe! I suppose that's why a lot of folks make them out of old tanks, probably a lot cheaper than starting from scratch.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The other problem with round style grills is getting new pipe. Unless you get lucky, you're going to have to buy a 20 foot length. That wouldn't be bad if you were making more than one smoker.

I made another insulated smoker that could be converted into a stick burner pretty easily. It's been sitting in the classifieds for months.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Decided to do a Sous Vide Chuck Roast! I had the wife grab one on sale last week..
    clear.png

Did this one at 133 for 60 hours... As always, Naked (no seasoning in the bag). The next one I will do is going to be 131 for 72hr)! Took it out, drained the juice into a small pot and brought it to a boil. I then strained then boiled juice through a coffee filter and seasoned with salt and pepper. For the meat, I torched it, then sprinkled with a homemade rub I like to use on Prime Rib
    Rub Recipe:
    2 tablespoon fennel seed
    2 tablespoon whole coriander seed
    3 tablespoon granulated garlic
    1/2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
    1 tablespoon caraway seed
    1 tablespoon black peppercorns
    2 tablespoon coarse sea salt

Note, you don't need to go crazy with the rub. I then finished the protein in the broiler at 400 for 10 mins!

Pretty damn good!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom