• Status
    Not open for further replies.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Hey Fargo, didn't know if you'd have any interest in this but it looked kind of cool.

[video=youtube;5fFctUwrqJ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fFctUwrqJ4[/video]

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Smoked another shoulder. Remembered to take pics this time. One of the best shoulders in a minute. Absolutely delicious. Best pulled pork tacos I have had.

vvfs8KJ.jpg

o0peUh1.jpg

1nhn75m.jpg

W0z9vj4.jpg

tqDd9vp.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This one will be a slow start but it gets relevant at the end.....

Just got back from a week at the Nottaway Plantation in White Castle, LA. The property is amazing, this is the largest antebellum plantation house still standing in the south. For reference, the windows and doors you see on the front of the place are about 10' tall, I think the ceilings inside are probably 14' on both floors.

X04payVh.jpg

feUs8N7h.jpg

We ate at the plantation the first several days and the food was amazing. I didn't want to bust out the phone and take pics but the shrimp & grits, shrimp & crab etoufee, crab cakes, shrimp & crab pasta and crab & brie bisque were absolutely amazing.

Eventually we wandered off of the plantation in search of the local fare and found a place called Fat Daddy's in Plaquemine. Hands down the freshest, sweetest, most delicately fried shrimp I've ever had and they came in my favorite wrapper, a poboy.

zoUVkygh.jpg

We stopped in several times over the next few days and had their seafood gumbo and Italian muffuletta, everything was excellent.

v8l5PwWh.jpg

OaDZe1Ph.jpg

We hit a drive through only place called Crawfish Express the afternoon before we left because I'm not going to Louisiana when they're in season without pinching some tails and sucking some heads. They were a bit on the small side due to the colder than usual winter but man the seasoning was spot on.

NmARtJZh.jpg

Anyway..... the andouille sausage the plantation served in their shrimp & grits was the best I've ever had. I didn't get a chance to speak with the chef but the husband of the lady running the event my wife was working was confident that it came from a place called Benoit's Country Meats a few miles up the road in Addis, LA. The wife and I stopped in on our way out of town yesterday morning and picked up several pounds of their andouille and four of these boneless chickens stuffed with sausage. I popped two of them in the fridge when we got home last night and just dropped them into the souse vide at 150*. Planning to let them roll until tomorrow afternoon then I'll put them on the egg at 300* with a light smoke until they hit 165* internal. Hoping they live up to the unbelievable food we had down there. It was awesome to finally expose my wife to everything I've been talking about for the past 15 years. I am of the opinion that the food in south Louisiana is the best this country has to offer.

sIsRqouh.jpg

0HnpGmZh.jpg

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    This one will be a slow start but it gets relevant at the end.....

I didn't want to bust out the phone and take pics without pinching some tails and sucking some heads. They were a bit on the small side due to the colder than usual winter but man t
    The food sounds amazing, I’m just kinda weirded out by a couple of passages in your story?:dunno:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Woke up this morning and decided letting the chickens roll all day at 150* would probably result in them falling to pieces when I tried to handle them. Fired up the egg and let them go for an hour at 350*. Pulled them out, double wrapped them in heavy duty foil then into a cooler covered with a towel, they'll still be plenty hot for dinner.

F78Peuzh.jpg

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Phylo.... When Dow built the new facility between Addis and Plaquemine, our company actually leased a house for our guys from the owner of Benoits. He makes all kinds of awesome sausage and would drop off a weekly "care package" at the house for the guys. Sunday boils were the norm. Either shrimp or sausage, didn't matter since both were awesome. Benoits has a hot case that they have pepper cheese Boudan balls in. (Boudan sausage wrapped around a hunk of pepper cheese rolled in flour and deep fried). My guys went there for launch daily. Three Boudan balls and a side of fries were about $6. When I was down there last year, I asked if they would ship frozen sausage and Boudan balls... I about cried when they said no. Fat Daddy's is a great place with awesome food. I've been planning a trip back down there to visit some friends in Lafayette and don't think I'm not bringing coolers to fill before we head home! The food in Louisianna is definitely worth the trip.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We noticed the Dow plant when we drove by on our way home. It’s not the prettiest area of Louisiana to be sure but we’re planning to go back in two years.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Man...I've been slacking this year and last...not sure if I'll get one but looking at the tregger and the egg....tempting

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Phylo---- bro I completely agree about Louisiana food. I love me some mud bugs lol. If you want the best flavor you have to suck the head. It's required. I lived there for 3 Years and it amazing food. Seafood to poboys to sausage. And the best grits and shrimp you can get. And don't get me started on the GUMBO!!! Ohhh how I miss it

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I spent a couple of years at Polk before they moved us all to Ft Hood. I had a great time down there for sure. Back when she was still pretty hot I'd ask people if they new why Britney Spears left Louisiana, when they said no I'd tell them because she was a 5 at best down there lol. Between the women and the food that state can keep a young man occupied pretty easily.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Dinner

Smoked ribeyes, T-bones, serloin, tators-onions-peppers-butter-seasonig, salad, and rolls...

Marinated and seasoned steaks day before, 1.5hr cook time with reverse sear at end, 3hrs cook time on tators, that's a 12qt Dutch oven so much bigger then it looks so don't try the same thing with a 6qt crock pot and burn your tators!

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Smoked ribeyes, T-bones, serloin, tators-onions-peppers-butter-seasonig, salad, and rolls...

Marinated and seasoned steaks day before, 1.5hr cook time with reverse sear at end, 3hrs cook time on tators, that's a 12qt Dutch oven so much bigger then it looks so don't try the same thing with a 6qt crock pot and burn your tators!

What temp do you take your steaks up to before searing? That's a beautiful crust you have on it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom