• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    haha. I actually love soccer, played for Carmel. Love the World Cup. IMO soccer players are the best athletes of any professional sport

We've probably overlapped. :D

I was the generation that transitioned from literally dads coaching Dads' Club with rulebooks in hand to the first organized Carmel travel soccer club (CYSA).

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have an Argentine official jersey my MIL brought me from Argentina.....Between Messi and the Pope Argentine's have been on a roll the past couple of years....:)

He let her down when Brazil whupped them last time...On a side note one of the shop regulars wife is from Brazil (and a liberal)...During the last World Cup they (the wife and her) got going at each other pretty bad on Facebook and the wife finally backed off....

Soccer fans be kind of crazy...

You know what I do like about soccer??? Body paint...Oh yeah...Love me the body paint girls...It's how I learn other countries colors and uniforms...:)

Cool...I found one safe for INGO (or I am getting the hammer) Looks safe to me...If not CM slap me in detention for a day or two...I can't post a soccer girl body paint post and not post a pic...Act would kill me....:)

3479509138.jpg
    Whoa Nelly! A google search of “soccer body paint” and click images tells me I want to meet the Aussie goalie!:wow:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    My prized memorabilia....signed by most of the 2014 lineup. I am fortunate to say I went to DC for our centennial game in 2013. Seems as though most clubs I watch are abound with new youthful talent. I anticipate many upsets in the upcoming tournament.
    deb34760f5ecd2c5058d44c7cc098375.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Messi returned to help deliver Barca from a 2 goal deficit against Sevilla in the last 4 minutes of the game. So, he's looking good.

Then Ronaldo delivers an INSANE bicycle kick goal.

The best individuals are looking to be at the top of their game.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Messi returned to help deliver Barca from a 2 goal deficit against Sevilla in the last 4 minutes of the game. So, he's looking good.

Then Ronaldo delivers an INSANE bicycle kick goal.

The best individuals are looking to be at the top of their game.

Will this be the year Ronaldo actually becomes Ronaldo in a World Cup, or will he flop again?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Will this be the year Ronaldo actually becomes Ronaldo in a World Cup, or will he flop again?

That's a fair question.

IMHO part of the problem is that Portugal is a small country. On his club teams, he is surrounded by players who - while not truly at his level - are REALLY good. They can help him create, and can take advantage of the opportunities he creates. The whole buildup to his bicycle kick keyed on a long clearance that he ran down, then distributed for a SOLID shot that the goalie was lucky to get to.

On a team with less talent (overall), I'm not sure that play works out the way it did.

One of the things I love about soccer is that one player can make a difference, but really can't carry a team through an entire tournament. That can happen in basketball (Lebron). In football, it is less likely, but possible with someone in the quarterback position (Brady). It takes an entire team to work together to let the star shine (Hoosiers).

:)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That's a fair question.

IMHO part of the problem is that Portugal is a small country. On his club teams, he is surrounded by players who - while not truly at his level - are REALLY good. They can help him create, and can take advantage of the opportunities he creates. The whole buildup to his bicycle kick keyed on a long clearance that he ran down, then distributed for a SOLID shot that the goalie was lucky to get to.

On a team with less talent (overall), I'm not sure that play works out the way it did.

One of the things I love about soccer is that one player can make a difference, but really can't carry a team through an entire tournament. That can happen in basketball (Lebron). In football, it is less likely, but possible with someone in the quarterback position (Brady). It takes an entire team to work together to let the star shine (Hoosiers).

:)

Two exceptions to the rule Pele (1970) certainly, and above all Diego Maradona (1986).

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Two exceptions to the rule Pele (1970) certainly, and above all Diego Maradona (1986).

I disagree.

Brazil's teams had been exceptional for a long time, even then. I think they'd been to every World Cup. The forwards on that team were all very good. Jairzinho in particular was very good. I can't remember the other guys, but they were smart enough to feed Pele and he was gracious enough to feed them assists when he could, too.

Maradona might be closer, but I can't find it in my heart to give the cheating cocaine coxswain any credit. I think it was Valdano that scored as many legitimate goals as Maradona did. (We can't seriously count the hand of God goal, can we?) The names don't come as easily to me now, but that Argentine team was very good. Put Maradona on Portugal's team and consider if he could've carried them.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I disagree.

Brazil's teams had been exceptional for a long time, even then. I think they'd been to every World Cup. The forwards on that team were all very good. Jairzinho in particular was very good. I can't remember the other guys, but they were smart enough to feed Pele and he was gracious enough to feed them assists when he could, too.

Maradona might be closer, but I can't find it in my heart to give the cheating cocaine coxswain any credit. I think it was Valdano that scored as many legitimate goals as Maradona did. (We can't seriously count the hand of God goal, can we?) The names don't come as easily to me now, but that Argentine team was very good. Put Maradona on Portugal's team and consider if he could've carried them.

We shouldn't, but it makes my older English friends upset, so I roll with it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I like watching this girl play...It seems to me that girl soccer players play harder..I never see any of that "over acting" the male players do when they feel they have been "fouled"...This girl plays like a Banshee....Amazing athlete...Tough as nails....

[video=youtube;lB-97WSW4YY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB-97WSW4YY[/video]

[video=youtube;GUSDO4smdn0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUSDO4smdn0[/video]

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Online betting establishments (I've heard) consider Brazil and Germany to be favorites. Then there's a cluster of Spain/France/Argentina/Belgium.

I'd like to see Belgium rise up. :)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/dear-president-trump-please-never-tweet-soccer-021330153.html

Oy. Vey.

Donald J. Trump said:
    The U.S. has put together a STRONG bid w/ Canada & Mexico for the 2026 World Cup. It would be a shame if countries that we always support were to lobby against the U.S. bid. Why should we be supporting these countries when they don’t support us (including at the United Nations)?

Totally a problem under FIFA rules, which have had enough corruption over the years to take this kind of thing seriously.

REALLY wish he would've just stayed out of it. Or, a "Hoping for the best" kind of thing.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44431262

BBC says it'll be Belgium, which is cool. Or it could be someone else. :D

For reference, top 10 in the world appear to be:
    Brazil
    Germany
    France
    Argentina
    Spain
    Belgium
    Chile
    Portugal
    Netherlands
    England

I've been reading that the Brits have low expectations. But, I caught part of a friendly they were playing in, and they looked really solid.

ETA:
    That's not the official rankings. That's from an oddsmaking site.

The "official" rankings are:
    Germany
    Brazil
    Belgium
    Portugal
    Argentina
    Switzerland
    France
    Poland
    Chile
    Spain

England is tied for 12.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    w00t!

Looks like the US is getting the 2026 World Cup. Well, its a NAFTA deal, so we have to share with Canada and Mexico. Unless they bail on us between now and then....

So we've got that long to put together a respectable team.

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    w00t!

Looks like the US is getting the 2026 World Cup. Well, its a NAFTA deal, so we have to share with Canada and Mexico. Unless they bail on us between now and then....

So we've got that long to put together a respectable team.
    Kind of surprising since it was the U.S that took down all of those corrupt FIFA officials. Or maybe it is some form of thank you from them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2017
    NA
    I hadn’t seen the BBC prediction, but went with Belgium because of family. I’ve also seen some simulations that say Germany, Spain, and Brazil based upon different team placing. So basically no one knows as usual. Go Red Devils!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom