• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Is the Croatian flag an air traffic control tower on a red, white and blue background?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    hahaha @KinA

First, Iceland did REALLY well. One of the things I read suggested they are the Cinderella team of this tournament. I was able to catch parts of the game and the way they kept Messi away from the ball, and prevented him from penetrating (mostly) was exceptional. They provided a blueprint for how other teams can make Argentian one-dimensional. Of course, that keeper's save was important. ;)

Second, the Croatian flag was designed to help diagnose a propensity to seizures in young Croatian kids. True story.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, Lukaku can't get a foul and is getting called for phantom touches. I understand that it is tough to referee a guy that big, fast, and athletic, but he shouldn't have to put up with getting held and blocked as much as he is.

Panama is playing the counterattack well but Belgium has the defense to make that a long day, though.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    England - Tunisia tied up at 1 at the half. England was looking REALLY good early, but Tunisia is quite skilled. The keeper change could loom large in the 2d half, although the new guy looks solid.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow. England with a stunner in extra time.

I almost feel bad for Tunisia. Except for the flopping and delaying, they played as hard as they could to get a draw.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Wow. England with a stunner in extra time.

I almost feel bad for Tunisia. Except for the flopping and delaying, they played as hard as they could to get a draw.

I watched that, England wasn't especially impressive. They were lucky.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I watched that, England wasn't especially impressive. They were lucky.

I thought the were much looser and team-oriented early in the game. Out there having fun.

A couple blown defensive matchups and they got shaken a bit, then things kinda devolved. It wasn't until they got back to playing their game in the late 2d half - when they HAD to - that things started going for them again. Except they were still tight/anxious, I think.

They'll be an interesting team to watch. I could see them either doing really well or crashing and burning. Like, beat or draw against Belgium, then getting blown out in the first knockout round against a "lesser" team.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow.

After a tight first half, Russia is opening up the floodgates on Egypt now. Salah is going to have to have a game for the ages to dig them out of this hole. For as much as I'd love to see that, I have Russia winning this group and Uruguay second. :)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Salah gets one with a PK. The ref was - and probably still is - in danger of losing control of the game, and this was a good call. Salah converts it, too.

So far Ronaldo (the Portuguese dude, not the retired Brazilian), Messi and Salah have all gotten PKs, but only the first and last were able to convert.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Salah gets one with a PK. The ref was - and probably still is - in danger of losing control of the game, and this was a good call. Salah converts it, too.

So far Ronaldo (the Portuguese dude, not the retired Brazilian), Messi and Salah have all gotten PKs, but only the first and last were able to convert.

I feel bad for Messi. All his teammates just pass him the ball and expect miracles. One guy can only do so much.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I feel bad for Messi. All his teammates just pass him the ball and expect miracles. One guy can only do so much.

Yeah, and at least Iceland showed that you can defend the team by defending Messi. I had my doubts, but it looks like Portugal has done a better job of putting the right kind of role players around Ronaldo for the whole team to be successful.

I think Egypt is trying the same thing for Salah, but it'll take some time for that to come to fruition.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Croatia.

Did. Not. See. That. Coming.

(Ironically, neither did Argentina.)

Didn't get to see any of it, but wow. Poor indiucky. Unless he can figure out some way to console his dear wife and give her hope for the future.... ;)

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    I caught the last 10 minutes of the Croatia game on replay tonight. On that 3rd goal, Argentina just looked like they did not care anymore.

This is has been a fun World Cup so far.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Dang.

Argentina face planting into the turf, then Brazil playing to a draw against Costa Rica (only to be saved in stoppage time) - this World Cup feels like a step toward parity.

Sure, there is still a pretty big gap between the Old Masters and everyone else, but that gap is narrowing. If Belgium can make a deep run in the tournament, that'd be awesome.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Round of 16 framing up. Spain - Russia (which should be Russia's last match of this World Cup) and Uruguay - Portugal. The latter could get interesting. I *think* Portugal will win, but it could get spicy.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Round of 16 framing up. Spain - Russia (which should be Russia's last match of this World Cup) and Uruguay - Portugal. The latter could get interesting. I *think* Portugal will win, but it could get spicy.

No idea how Spain escaped their match. Still PO'd and the North Africans.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    No idea how Spain escaped their match. Still PO'd and the North Africans.

I'm sorry, but Nigeria deserved to go through. Argentina's players have basically revolted against the coach (and, in their defense, apparently had a better gameplan) and they've played terrible soccer. I was rooting for the Super Eagles. :) (Sorry, indi.)

Top Bottom