• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Host Russia is beating up on the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, while Putin and one of the members of the House of Saud talk in the stands. Probably about world oil prices.

Russia should win this game, but is looking vulnerable in the process.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Not a fan of soccer. Have they progressed to the point where they score more than one or two goals per match yet? ;)

They actually score goals now? I thought the whole point was to watch the grass grow while the people run around aimlessly on the field. :D

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    They actually score goals now? I thought the whole point was to watch the grass grow while the people run around aimlessly on the field. :D

There have been rule changes and interpretation evolution (like offsides) that foster more scoring. I think more importantly, more shooting. That's what can build excitement among fans, where a team can keep creating opportunities and getting a shot off.

In that respect, it is like baseball. When a team has a couple guys on base, and the batter gets ahead in the count, that's when people get excited.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Click to play; the best thing ever!

Yes, that really is a bear playing a vuvuzula.

[video=facebook_share;10155952315541773]https://www.facebook.com/CBSSports/videos/10155952315541773/?t=9[/video]

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Not a fan.:coffee:

I'm afraid my dog has caught World Cup fever and may have to be put down...:(

ae85xgp.jpg

Or maybe I've trained him well and he's killing soccer balls in an attempt to stop the spread of soccer in Murrica.:patriot:

Yeah, lets go with that. I kinda like him.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I feel bad for Egypt. I only caught some of the game, but it looked like they were hanging with Uruguay for 80 minutes, then the wheels came off. Got a lucky break on a shot that went off the frame, then the header for the game-winner.

The extra time frenzy was fun to watch as Egypt tried to get the equalizer. Mo would've made a TON of difference, but Egypt acquitted itself well.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow. Same sort of story for Morocco. They play Iran straight up for 90', then an unlucky own-goal gives Iran the win.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Daaaang. Ronaldo draws a penalty in the box then scores the PK. Can't hardly blame the defender for the foul. It was a legitimate foul, but he just got totally juked.

Spain might be in real trouble already down by a goal.

I picked Spain to top this pool, with Portugal second. Oops.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Spain with the equalizer. Diego Costa with some hard work (and a professional elbow to the face of Pepe) gets the goal.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Aaand... Ronaldo gets a goal that great goalscorers get. Nothing fancy. Hard, low shot from the top of the box, left footed, keeper's in a good position, but just couldn't control it and it bounces into the net.

Kinda helped that he knew how to avoid the offsides by not being part of the play until he was brought back onsides.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Daaaang. Ronaldo draws a penalty in the box then scores the PK. Can't hardly blame the defender for the foul. It was a legitimate foul, but he just got totally juked.

Spain might be in real trouble already down by a goal.

I picked Spain to top this pool, with Portugal second. Oops.

I think I seen this kick. I know nothing about soccer but the Ronaldo guy had some kind of free kick....he aimed it right of the net and I couldn't believe how the ball had so much spin it came back to the net. Amazing!

I get a kick out of my Hispanic roofers. Them guys will stand around and play hacky sack for 30 minutes and never let the sack hit the ground....they must have some good eye/feet coordination!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Argentina/Iceland is on at 0900. I don't watch a lot of soccer (watched our first full match last WC, when Team US snatched a tie from the jaws of victory) but having spent 3 years stationed in Iceland I think I'll watch before wandering out to Stout Field.

About this time in 1998: Young USAF MSgt KellyinAvon and family were having most of their worldly belongings (the belongings that weren't in storage in Kansas) packed up since we'd done our time in "The Land of Fire and Ice". The packers (the moving company was IcePack, no kiddin) were three dudes in their 20s maybe. First thing they did was locate every TV in the place (I think we had three) and turn them on the WC. Two days of packing (1400 SF apartment, not a huge place) and the last thing that went was the TV in the living room.

Iceland being a world power in soccer is very impressive considering there is only about three weeks of summer in that country. Playing while not wearing a parka must be easy.

Top Bottom