• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It's your tag, shoot what makes you happy.
    Legal and ethical? If so, any critics can pound sand.
    Congrats on your buck/freezer goodies :)

Drove to my spot this morning, getting dressed in the pre dawn the wind picked up all of a sudden and I said screw it and went back home/to bed.
    Edgy on health right now anyway, not going into gun w pneumonia.
    Allergy meds and try tomorrow.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Went out today on last patrol and camera check before season, found no new stands on the border or signs of incursions. Maybe things are getting better. Did kick out a mature 8, nice animal and he wasn't in a hurry to move away so I got a good look through the binos.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I missed this guy tonight at a range of 35-40 yards...I think the bolt was deflected by a small branch I couldn't see (found one hanging in the clearing with fresh fibrous crap at a break and a matching branch with fibrous crap at a brake on the ground behind it) but it is possible I misjudged range and shot over his back or shanked the shot. Either way, never found any blood and never found the bolt.

I'm sick missing the biggest deer of my life, but I guess that's archery hunting.

Hopefully he slips up and shows himself in seven days when I've got my Dasher or Creedmoor in my hands and not a damn crossbow.

STC_0006.JPG

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    I missed this guy tonight at a range of 35-40 yards...

I'm sick missing the biggest deer of my life, but I guess that's archery hunting.

Hopefully he slips up and shows himself in seven days when I've got my Dasher or Creedmoor in my hands and not a damn crossbow.

View attachment 81360

Thats one that you'll remember for a long time....sickening feeling.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Nothing at my place today.
    Screw the pointy sticks, it's boom time baby!
    Gotta decide if 35 rem in 760 rifle or Contender pistol, or .30-06 Steyr bolt rig.
    All are zeroed.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My hunting partner killed his all time best buck a week ago Saturday, he measured out a tic under 170".

FrkXC31h.jpg

I killed my buck at last light on Wednesday evening. He had come through an hour before and I let him walk. We thought he'd circled around us and walked back across the field where he originally came from but that must have been a different one. He came back out right at last light and he looked bigger in the body and rack than we both thought so I took the shot. 47 yards with the crossbow and hit a few inches left of there I wanted. Went through both front legs near the shoulder and I believe it nicked his heart. He made is about 100yds.

62ksgUFh.jpg

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    Got from sun up to sun down in the stand today. Been glamping and hunting since thursday. I have not seen very much activity at all. I have seen a buck every day. Small one. All eating accorns and walking on. Have not seen any chasing or big boys cruising for the girls. I came home for the bad weather. Rain to snow. Teens temp into single digit windchills. I will be back out and in the stand wednesday. I only have 2 weeks off work to get it done.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Waiting for Saturday. This will be my first year with a rifle. Always hunted with a shotgun in the past. This year got a .308 with a suppressor on the end of it.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Gone out twice so far. Haven't even seen a deer.
    Gotta get my 1894 ready for hopefully this weekend.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Only been out a couple weekends but have seen quite a few does and a couple small bucks. None have presented a good shot for a bow though.

Last year we had a couple of nice bucks, one of which I let walk right past my stand. I probably should've took a shot but I let him walk in hopes of seeing him again this year. I want to start to manage the property better but so far this year we have only seen a couple of young 4 pointers, no signs whatsoever of the bigger guys. Taking a 4 day weekend this week in hopes of seeing big buck but if not it's time to fill the freezer. This will likely be my last chance to hunt until muzzle loader season.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Filled the buck tag this morning at 8:20; with near single digit temps and yesterday's snowfall figured it would be a good morning. It was actually VERY quiet, nothing moving at all from pre-dawn till this buck came trotting around the outside of a bedding area. He was heading straight away then stopped suddenly and started looking around. Like he got spooked by something. I hit the doe bleat three times which got his attention. He came back around toward me and presented a 25 yd broad side shot. Thought, "Well... now that you've done that I guess I've got to let you have it."

9-point on an odd small rack and he's got a decent body. I ground hunt a small woodlot about 50 yards wide. Have seen five bucks and as many does come through this season and figured this guy was a good enough reward for the time put in so far and sitting in the cold this a.m. 20191113_091116.jpg

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The ol lady had a big one run across the road early this morning. Said wide open fields both sides.....no other deer or dogs.....just a big buck On a steady gallop. Well past his ears she said.

Top Bottom