• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Looking through SB 307 by Mark Stoops (D Bloomington, F NRA-ILA). Can't these antis come up with something without copying off their fellow antis? Same crap (I mean word for word) as SB 125 and 263. More to follow...

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    SB 307: creates "regulated weapon" which includes one of the following: A pistol grip that protrudes beneath the action of the weapon; a thumb-hole stock; a folding or telescoping stock; a mount or lug capable of accepting or affixing a bayonet, flare launcher, grenade launcher; a flash suppressor; a forward pistol grip.

Requires NICS for any transfer of a "regulated weapon". Prohibits sale/transfer/etc. to anyone under 21. Makes private transfer of a handgun to anyone under 21 illegal. Bans Bumpstocks, etc.

Not much to like here...

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    SB 309 and HB 1149 ARE THE EXACT SAME THING!! Word for word, didn't even change happy to glad.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I was hoping for your synopsis first Bill. It makes the review much easier. To the General Assembly website!!

I started it ... in between meetings; but my bosses (plural) were right there and then in the car on the way back ...

The storage bill DEBACLE is worse than you think - you missed SB 321 (another near duplicate?? not sure - still working thru things) by (R) MERRITT -
    which opens the door for the others to slip in ....

FULL UPDATE to follow and to be added to Post #3 of this thread
    shortly.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Here is the update from Monday Jan 7 2019 IGA session of the legislation proposed:

SB299 – Law enforcement officer training – L.Randolph
    Senate Bill 299 - Law enforcement officer training - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session
    Basically, LEO training on non-realistic-photo targets? WHY is this even relevant to be legislated? I know it is only tacitly related to the 2A but … why?

SB 307 – Regulation of firearms – Stoops
    Senate Bill 307 - Regulation of firearms - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session
    Just No, OK, no shoo. Kelly already digested this for us.
    SB 309 – Storage of firearms – Stoops
    Senate Bill 309 - Storage of firearms - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session
    This again – and the same wording (or close enough) to the other (what 3 or) 4 of these? NO. (thanks Kelly again) someone Rep K.i.A. for me.

SB 321 – Firearms storage – (R) J. Merrit
    Senate Bill 321 - Firearms storage - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session
    This needs input – KIRK – FARGO? Little help on this. Thanks – Gracias. Etc.

House Side
    HB 1148 – NICS reporting under the Jake Laird law – E.DeLaney (D)
    House Bill 1148 - NICS reporting under the Jake Laird law - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session
    If hearing under Jake Laird Law (Indiana’s 2005, “red flag” law) – requires notification to NICS; if person is not / is no longer a safety issue, notification of this status sent to NICS
    HB 1149 – Safe storage of firearms - E.DeLaney (D)
    House Bill 1149 - Safe storage of firearms - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session
    Same (EXACT) verbiage as SB 309; and virtually identical to other HB’s listed. This like the others is a major infringement of rights. NO.

LUCAS:
    1108 – False accusation of a crime – Lucas
    House Bill 1108 - False accusation of a crime - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session
    Anti-SWAT-ing bill – I think Kelly covered this one too.
    1109 – Income tax credit for firearms safety expenses – Lucas
    House Bill 1109 - Income tax credit for firearms safety expenses - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session
    $200 individual / $400 per couple / household Annual Tax CREDIT – for training, storage or other safety expenses. Good deal. (up to tax liability only).
    And more to come

I will edit post 3 (tomorrow, if I have time) ...

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I started it ... in between meetings; but my bosses (plural) were right there and then in the car on the way back ...

The storage bill DEBACLE is worse than you think - you missed SB 321 (another near duplicate?? not sure - still working thru things) by (R) MERRITT -
    which opens the door for the others to slip in ....

FULL UPDATE to follow and to be added to Post #3 of this thread
    shortly.
    I spotted it, saw who it was and closed it. Merritt made the news on this a while, "we have to do something..." was what I was expecting. Back at it tonight, looking forward to more on the pro-2A side.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This is SB 321 amended into IC 35-47-10. Bold shows the change, the rest is current law. I started with section 6 opposed to the entire law. Sec 7 current, section 7 proposed in SB 321. As you can see under current law knowingly, intentionally or recklessly allowing a dangerous child access to a firearm is a felony.

Sec 6: An adult who knowingly or intentionally provides a firearm to a child whom the adult knows: (1) is ineligible for any reason to purchase or otherwise receive from a dealer a firearm;  or

(2) intends to use the firearm to commit a crime;

commits dangerous control of a firearm, a Level 5 felony.  However, the offense is a Level 4 felony if the adult has a prior conviction under this section, and a Level 3 felony if the child uses the firearm to commit murder ( IC 35-42-1-1 ).

Sec 7: A child's parent or legal guardian who knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly permits the child to possess a firearm:

(1) while:

(A) aware of a substantial risk that the child will use the firearm to commit a felony;  and

(B) failing to make reasonable efforts to prevent the use of a firearm by the child to commit a felony;  or

(2) when the child has been convicted of a crime of violence or has been adjudicated as a juvenile for an offense that would constitute a crime of violence if the child were an adult;

commits dangerous control of a child, a Level 5 felony.  However, the offense is a Level 4 felony if the child's parent or legal guardian has a prior conviction under this section.

Sec. 7. ( a) As used in this section, "reasonable effort" means a good faith effort to prevent the access or possession of a firearm by a child. The term includes rendering a firearm inoperable.

(b) This section does not apply to a child's parent or legal guardian who makes a reasonable effort to secure a firearm.
    (c) A child's parent or legal guardian who knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly permits the child to possess a firearm:

(1) while:

(A) aware of a substantial risk that the child will use the firearm to commit a felony or commit an act that would constitute a felony if the child were an adult; and

(B) failing to make reasonable efforts to prevent the use of a firearm by the child to commit a felony or commit an act that would constitute a felony if the child were an adult; or

(2) when the child has been convicted of a crime of violence or has been adjudicated as a juvenile for an offense that would constitute a crime of violence if the child were an adult; commits dangerous control of a child, a Level 5 felony. However, the offense is a Level 4 felony if the child's parent or legal guardian has a prior conviction under this section.

Sec 8: (a) In addition to any criminal penalty imposed for an offense under this chapter, the court shall order the following:

(1) That a person who has committed an offense be incarcerated for five (5) consecutive days in an appropriate facility.

(2) That the additional five (5) day term must be served within two (2) weeks after the date of sentencing.

(b) Notwithstanding IC 35-50-6, a person does not earn good time credit while serving an additional five (5) day term of imprisonment imposed by a court under this section.

Sec 9: A court shall impose consecutive sentences upon a person who has a conviction under this chapter and a conviction under IC 35-47-2-7 .

https://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-35-criminal-law-and-procedure/in-code-sect-35-47-10-7.html

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    SB 299: Law Enforcement Training, authored by Lonnie Randolph (D, 2nd District; F, NRA-ILA). I'm at a loss for words so, I just don't know.

Law enforcement officer training. Allows the law enforcement training board to establish minimum standards concerning firearms marksmanship and proficiency. Provides that firearms proficiency may not be taught or tested through the use of any target bearing a photorealistic depiction of a human being in any law enforcement: (1) basic training course; (2) inservice course; or (3) refresher course; used to train or accredit a law enforcement officer.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    SB 299: Law Enforcement Training, authored by Lonnie Randolph (D, 2nd District; F, NRA-ILA). I'm at a loss for words so, I just don't know.

Law enforcement officer training. Allows the law enforcement training board to establish minimum standards concerning firearms marksmanship and proficiency. Provides that firearms proficiency may not be taught or tested through the use of any target bearing a photorealistic depiction of a human being in any law enforcement: (1) basic training course; (2) inservice course; or (3) refresher course; used to train or accredit a law enforcement officer.

:rolleyes:

Maybe they can use zombie targets?

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    :rolleyes:

Maybe they can use zombie targets?

I get there may be some reasons why you do NOT want to use CERTAIN photo-realistic targets for some training -
    But why is it necessary to make a law about this. Use some sense. If you don't have enough sense - get a different position ... ?
    Perhaps check with a friend or phone a friend. ... ugh.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

I thought the cops got in trouble with SCOTUS a couple or three decades ago because they were NOT using realistic targets (and scenarios)? The name of the case escapes me. Robinson? Robertson? Sumpin' else?

ETA: OK, apparently there are three:

City of Canton, Ohio v. Harris, 489 U.S. 378 (1989)
    Popow v. City of Margate, 476 F.Supp. 1237 (N.J. 1979) (in particular)
    Zuchel v. Denver, 997 F.2d 730 (10th Cir. 1993)

That's sort of like Robertson/Robinson. Uses same alphabet and all...

Last edited:

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    HB 1253 - just posted this evening ...
    House Bill 1253 - Handgun training for teachers - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

THIS GETS ITS OWN THREAD - summary is:

[h=4]DIGEST[/h]Handgun training for teachers. Creates a specialized firearms safety, education, and training curriculum (curriculum) for teachers. Specifies curriculum requirements. Authorizes funds from the Indiana safe schools fund to be used for curriculum related expenses. Provides that a person responsible for a justified use of force on school property is immune from civil liability and damages, including punitive damages, for any act or omission related to the person's justified use of force in certain instances. Provides that no entity or person, by reason of an agency relationship with a person responsible for a justified use of force on school property, may be held liable for damages, including punitive damages, for any act or omission related to the person's justified use of force on school property. Provides that the immunity concerning a justified use of force on school property prohibits the filing of any claim or action by the: (1) estate; (2) personal representative; (3) spouse; or (4) family member; of any person alleging injury or damages related to a justified use of force on school property. Repeals all provisions prohibiting the carrying or possession of a firearm on a: (1) school bus; or (2) property; that is owned or operated by a school. Defines certain terms. Makes conforming amendments.

WIN. PUSH IT. (and no need for SB 88 / SB 135)

Top Bottom