Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    HB 1253 - just posted this evening ...
    House Bill 1253 - Handgun training for teachers - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

THIS GETS ITS OWN THREAD - summary is:

DIGEST

Handgun training for teachers. Creates a specialized firearms safety, education, and training curriculum (curriculum) for teachers. Specifies curriculum requirements. Authorizes funds from the Indiana safe schools fund to be used for curriculum related expenses. Provides that a person responsible for a justified use of force on school property is immune from civil liability and damages, including punitive damages, for any act or omission related to the person's justified use of force in certain instances. Provides that no entity or person, by reason of an agency relationship with a person responsible for a justified use of force on school property, may be held liable for damages, including punitive damages, for any act or omission related to the person's justified use of force on school property. Provides that the immunity concerning a justified use of force on school property prohibits the filing of any claim or action by the: (1) estate; (2) personal representative; (3) spouse; or (4) family member; of any person alleging injury or damages related to a justified use of force on school property. Repeals all provisions prohibiting the carrying or possession of a firearm on a: (1) school bus; or (2) property; that is owned or operated by a school. Defines certain terms. Makes conforming amendments.

WIN. PUSH IT. (and no need for SB 88 / SB 135)
    You are quicker than me tonight Bill. I'll be back in 9 pages.
    Edit: referred to the Education Committee, not Public Policy.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Copy/paste from HB 1253 thread.

HB 1253 has a lot of similar training requirements as Rep Judy's HB 1129. A lot of the same required areas covered but not a copy/paste like the D's on storage and attacking ARs.

1253 also has a provision on emergencies (no hurricane Katrina-like gun confiscation). As BB3 stated, it repeals IC 35-47 Chapter 9: Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    BOOO. but ... who's on that ... lets see ..... ... I See a J.Lucas as a member ... a few

House Committee on Education - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

Kind of what you see on the Public Policy committee per NRA-ILA: R's appear to be solid (not sure how solid on repealing 35-47-Chap 9), two NRA-ILA F's on the D-side, one D (Sheila Klinker) is endorsed by the NRA (ranking D on Public Policy is Justin Moed, also endorsed by NRA). The other (Pfaff) has no rating but introduced a bill allowing registering to vote at the polling place on election day. She beat an R who had an F, so who knows.

goldtrigger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Morgan county
    It looks like Rep Wesco has introduced HB 1272. It looks like it raises the license from 4-5 years, and eliminates the fee for the lifetime license.
    I was hoping that Constitutional Carry would get another go. This might be the best we get this year.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It looks like Rep Wesco has introduced HB 1272. It looks like it raises the license from 4-5 years, and eliminates the fee for the lifetime license.
    I was hoping that Constitutional Carry would get another go. This might be the best we get this year.
    That sounds exactly like a bill introduced last year. Never got a vote but it got all the anti-ConC types to admit the LTCH program is about the money.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I see 2 new one's this morning -
    Goldtrigger caught the one:

HB1272 - Handgun licensure and fees - WESCO
    House Bill 1272 - Handgun licensure and fees - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

Free Lifetime, Regular LTCH to 5 yrs (same fee) - allows NICS skipped at FFL Purchases (main reason for this) - and allows one to hold both Lifetime and new 5 yr LTCH. (so if you buy a lot and get delays - maybe you want double licenses) - they pushed this last session - almost went thru - I dis like as, while it moves the ball (a little) down field) - it is basically surrendering ConC. for "No Fee" licenses ... which still cost the state $ ... maybe if no one really cared about the 5 yr ones - and it costs to much without being an issue they'd go to ConC - but I bet more likely is to go the other direction - down the road (which reminds me - eternal vigilance folks) ... OK

OH and
    HB 1284 Self-defense and the defense of others - LUCAS (via RELFORD)
    House Bill 1284 - Self-defense and the defense of others - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

Provides immunity for a justified use of force in certain instances. Requires a trial court to conduct a pretrial hearing concerning the application of the immunity when the defendant raises the justified use of force immunity as a defense. Requires a claimant or plaintiff to prove, by clear and convincing evidence, that a claim or action is not prohibited by the justified use of force immunity.

These each deserve a thread but I gotta get back to work stuff's ... someone start them.

ETA - I missed one I just saw - (a NO NO NO one):

HB 1290 - Surrender of firearms and ammunition. - Authored by Rep. Carey Hamilton. Co-Authored by Rep. Sue Errington.
    Or if not NO NO NO - then - already already already - the law ... ... geesh. well needs more review. Where's RHINO?
    House Bill 1290 - Surrender of firearms and ammunition - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

Synopsis:
    Provides that a person who: (1) has been convicted of a crime of domestic violence; and (2) knowingly or intentionally possesses a firearm; commits possession of a firearm by a domestic batterer, a Class A misdemeanor. Provides certain defenses. Requires a court to issue an order, upon entry of a judgment of conviction for a crime of domestic battery or a crime of domestic violence, that: (1) prohibits ownership or possession of a firearm until the defendant's right to possess a firearm is restored; and (2) requires the defendant to surrender: (A) any firearm owned or possessed by the defendant; and (B) any valid license or permit to carry a handgun (license); to a law enforcement agency or law enforcement officer with jurisdiction over the area where the defendant's offense occurred, where the defendant resides, or where the defendant plans to reside. Requires a court to order an appropriate law enforcement agency or law enforcement officer to seize, within 72 hours, any firearm or license owned or possessed by a defendant convicted of domestic battery or a crime of domestic violence. Provides that a person who knowingly or intentionally fails to surrender: (1) all firearms owned or possessed by the person; or (2) any valid license or permit to carry a handgun possessed by the person; after being convicted of domestic battery or a crime of domestic violence commits unlawful retention of a firearm or license by a domestic batterer, a Class A misdemeanor. Enhances the offense to a Level 6 felony if the person has a prior unrelated conviction for the offense. Provides certain defenses. Specifies how a confiscated firearm or license shall be: (1) returned to the rightful owner; or (2) disposed of; if a defendant's right to possess a firearm is restored. Defines certain terms. Makes conforming amendments.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    And another - Makes me think they are updating 1 by 1 - (or I'm going blind)

HB 1291 - (just call it UBC's OK) - Authored by Rep. Carey Hamilton. Co-Authored by Rep. Sue Errington.

House Bill 1291 - Background check for firearms sales - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

Background check for firearms sales. Requires a person wishing to: (1) sell; (2) trade; or (3) transfer; a firearm to conduct the transaction through a licensed Indiana firearms dealer. Requires a licensed Indiana firearms dealer to perform a NICS background check when facilitating the: (1) sale; (2) trade; or (3) transfer; of a firearm between private parties. Provides that a person who knowingly or intentionally makes a materially false statement to a dealer, seller, or transferor for the purpose of facilitating the: (1) sale; (2) trade; or (3) transfer; of a firearm commits a Level 6 felony. Provides that a person who knowingly or intentionally: (1) sells; (2) rents; (3) trades; or (4) transfers; a firearm in violation of certain provisions commits a Class A misdemeanor. Makes conforming amendments.

NO NO NO. NO No no NO NO NO. 1000x NO.

goldtrigger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Morgan county
    This is from the legislatures website. By my read, today is the last day to introduce any bills.

Thursday, January 10, 2019Deadline for filing Senate bills (Senate Rule 48(a)) not later than 4:00 p.m.
    Thursday, January 10, 2019Deadline for filing House bills (Fourth meeting day in January)(House Rule 107.1, not later than 2:00 p.m).

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    This is from the legislatures website. By my read, today is the last day to introduce any bills.

Thursday, January 10, 2019Deadline for filing Senate bills (Senate Rule 48(a)) not later than 4:00 p.m.
    Thursday, January 10, 2019Deadline for filing House bills (Fourth meeting day in January)(House Rule 107.1, not later than 2:00 p.m).

File yes, but I think they may still only get intro'd to the chamber & not be on the web site until Monday if they only finish up today with filing.
    So it seems anyway - no session tomorrow; so often the website isn't updated. When is their "Monday Off" holiday? OK it is the following Monday (21st).

ETA: last day for 1st reading in the Senate is next Wednesday (to assign to committee's) - so filing is today - but reading / adding to website - still thru next week likely.

goldtrigger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Morgan county
    File yes, but I think they may still only get intro'd to the chamber & not be on the web site until Monday if they only finish up today with filing.
    So it seems anyway - no session tomorrow; so often the website isn't updated. When is their "Monday Off" holiday? OK it is the following Monday (21st).

ETA: last day for 1st reading in the Senate is next Wednesday (to assign to committee's) - so filing is today - but reading / adding to website - still thru next week likely.

AWESOME! Thanks for the info! I will continue to watch what happens!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

HB 1291 - (just call it UBC's OK) - Authored by Rep. Carey Hamilton. Co-Authored by Rep. Sue Errington.

House Bill 1291 - Background check for firearms sales - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

Are these reps ignorant to the fact that IN previously had a UBC requirement and it was repealed, or is it more likely they already know and just don't care that it's unenforceable?

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

At least it's only 3 pages. UBC, turns the law-abiding into criminals; does nothing to deter actual criminals. I'll see your 1000X NO and raise you NO infinity!!

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    HB 1284: Self Defense and the Defense of Others. Authored by Jim Lucas (and Guy Relford).

The synopsis covers the 6 page pretty well. Makes me want to testify in favor of this bill wearing a Stetson.

Citations Affected: IC 34-30-31; IC 35-41-3-2.
    Synopsis: Self-defense and the defense of others. Provides immunity for a justified use of force in certain instances. Requires a trial court to conduct a pretrial hearing concerning the application of the immunity when the defendant raises the justified use of force immunity as a defense. Requires a claimant or plaintiff to prove, by clear and convincing evidence, that a claim or action is not prohibited by the justified use of force immunity. Requires a court to dismiss a prohibited claim or action. Requires a court to award, in certain instances, reasonable attorney's fees and costs to a defendant when the justified use of force immunity is successfully raised. Makes conforming amendments.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I realize that Jim Tomes is normally a 2A advocate, but this bothers me in that it would be too easy for all of the anti's to insert the word "semi-".

SB 119 - Prohibitted Transfers to Minors (MACHINE GUNS -what?) - THOMES (WHAT!?)
    Senate Bill 119 - Prohibited firearm transfers to minors - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

Guy discussed this one on his show last Saturday. By using "machine gun" it shows the difference between FA and the antis going after semi-auto. That was his take anyway, not sure if he'd spoke with Senator Tomes. It wouldn't surprise me.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Guy discussed this one on his show last Saturday. By using "machine gun" it shows the difference between FA and the antis going after semi-auto. That was his take anyway, not sure if he'd spoke with Senator Tomes. It wouldn't surprise me.

Do we have a lot of crimes with "youth" and Machine Guns / Full Auto? ... I (think I said) have reservations - due to the wording and intent and the ability to get things convoluted. ... perhaps just strike the whole thing ... if a youth is given a gun and commits a crime its a crime - type of weapons SHOULD not matter.

I killed you really dead cause I shot you 100 times with a tommy gun (in 6 seconds) ... or
    I killed you dead (once) cause I shot you in the chest with a 1911 colt A1 45 and watched you bleed out ...

... need to speak to Thomes about this. VOLUNTEERS? Maybe I'll have time next week or tomorrow. ... working is interfering w/ my lobbying for my grandsons rights.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Do we have a lot of crimes with "youth" and Machine Guns / Full Auto? ... I (think I said) have reservations - due to the wording and intent and the ability to get things convoluted. ... perhaps just strike the whole thing ... if a youth is given a gun and commits a crime its a crime - type of weapons SHOULD not matter.

I killed you really dead cause I shot you 100 times with a tommy gun (in 6 seconds) ... or
    I killed you dead (once) cause I shot you in the chest with a 1911 colt A1 45 and watched you bleed out ...

... need to speak to Thomes about this. VOLUNTEERS? Maybe I'll have time next week or tomorrow. ... working is interfering w/ my lobbying for my grandsons rights.
    A Tommy Gun reminds me of a Saint Bernard: really cool but very expensive to feed.

I'll send Senator Thomes an e-mail. I'd be shocked if there's not a Paul Harvey (rest of the story) with this one.

Edit: E-mail sent!!

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Wow, sent an e-mail at 0640, got a call at 0840!

Cody (who works for both Senators Tomes and Sandlin) called me concerning this subject:

SB 119 is to correct the verbiage. There was a code update in 1993 that identified a machine gun as an "assault weapon". It was partially repealed in 1995.

The made up term "assault weapon" was still in the code. This gets machine gun in the code.

Also, the guidance concerning long guns (not NFA) has the "must be 18" requirement. This aligns the 21 age requirement with federal guidance.

In other words, it gets the horrible made up non-defined term "assault weapon" out of one more place. Senator Tome is still pro-2A.

Top Bottom