• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Lump charcoal also doesn't last as long for a long cook.

If I am using my drum smoker I can do pork butts with 1 bag of briquettes, but it takes 2 bags of lump.

I prefer lump, but for 6+ hour cooks it is a pretty significant increase.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-

If I am using my drum smoker I can do pork butts with 1 bag of briquettes, but it takes 2 bags of lump.

I think it depends on the type and brand of lump charcoal you’re using.

I’ve noticed cowboy charcoal burns pretty fast but I bought a bag of Kamado Joe from Lowe’s that is much more dense and burns hotter and longer.

Cons: relatively expensive

Another reason I love my electric water smoker, pop in two or three nice chunks of your favorite wood In and they smolder for many hours only needing to add a chunk or two after five hours

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Upgraded my grill a few weeks ago. I did have a charbroil six burner grill. Had it for a few years. The sear burner was having issues and frankly I rarely used more then 50% of the grill space. I bought a Weber spirit natural gas grill at the local ace hardware. They had someone return a Weber genesis by grill and gave me that grill at the other grill price. Got a 1100 grill for 700 dollars.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

I’ve noticed cowboy charcoal burns pretty fast but I bought a bag of Kamado Joe from Lowe’s that is much more dense and burns hotter and longer.

Another reason I love my electric water smoker, pop in two or three nice chunks of your favorite wood In and they smolder for many hours only needing to add a chunk or two after five hours
    Yeah, you're probably right. I don't have much of a selection nearby so it is almost always royal oak lump.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Are you going by weight or mass? For the same size bag lump weighs a good bit less. But yeah it does seem to burn quicker, even on a shorter cook.

For cost briquettes to me are a good bit cheaper, especially if you grill a lot. I buy kingsford on sale around memorial day and get enough to generally last me the year or close. Messed up this year, I'm going to run soon, only have I think 2 maybe 3 bags left.

Burn speed on lump does seem to vary by brand, and even between bags. I think a good bit of it is size of the pieces. Lots of smaller piece vs large and vice versa. One of the main benefits of briquettes is consistency.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Are you going by weight or mass? For the same size bag lump weighs a good bit less. But yeah it does seem to burn quicker, even on a shorter cook.
    It takes 2 15# bags of lump or 1 18# bag of briquettes to run my drum smoker for a day.

The gap gets closer if it's 80+ temps, but it still always takes more lump

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    If I am just grilling burgers or steaks I prefer the lump charcoal because it imparts more smoke flavor into the food. For longer-term cooking such as indirect for fish or chicken I agree briquettes are much more practical.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Also consider that the type of smoker is going to make a big difference as well. When I had a barrel smoker, it would burn through the charcoal fast. Even with briquettes, I would have to keep adding more for the longer cooks. Lump charcoal was not even an option unless I was cooking steaks, chicken, or burgers. Now I have a ceramic Kamado, and a basket full of lump charcoal will easily last 24+ hours.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Made a standing rib roast on the grill, with sour cream and chives mashed potatoes, and garlic herb green beans. Prime rib was cooked to 140 degrees internal temp due to the kids liking their meat medium rather than medium rare. Overall delicious meal. Merry Christmas INGO!

33879E27-BA86-47BB-B8D4-B59C09F2528A.jpeg
    89AC89EA-10C9-4698-B11C-522AEC077A2F.jpeg

Attachments

• F851CA26-5AC1-4B22-9B40-C82A75781FF3.jpeg
      F851CA26-5AC1-4B22-9B40-C82A75781FF3.jpeg
      601.2 KB · Views: 1
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom