Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    What did you go with?
    Went with Z-Grills 7002f. Had been watching countless videos of reviews and comparisons. Seemed like the best bang for the buck in my price range

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Went with Z-Grills 7002f. Had been watching countless videos of reviews and comparisons. Seemed like the best bang for the buck in my price range

Good choice. There are times I wish I would have went with the 700.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Good choice. There are times I wish I would have went with the 700.
    Almost went with the 1000 but the chances of me ever needing to cook that much at once is very slim. Heck it's gonna be mostly used for Pork butts and beef brisket.

I'll still grill my steaks, burgers, etc on the trusty old weber kettle.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    We are having family thanksgiving this Sunday with around 15 people. I put a 26# turkey in the brine this afternoon. Hope it fits on my grill. Pics coming on Sunday.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

Got it assembled and the intital burn done this morning. Bday party to go to today and chance of rain tomorrow. Maybe do a tenderloin for the initial cook during the week

20221126_124105.jpg

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County

That looks like a real nice rig. I think you will find yourself smoking stuff more often with this because you can set it and walk away with confidence that your temp will stay in control. A man can never have too many tools in his grilling/smoking arsenal.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Today was our big family Thanksgiving. I cooked a 26 lb bird on my smoker. Brined it for 24 hours, then in the fridge for 8 hours. Cooked it for 5 hours at 350 degrees. It was so juicy and had great flavor. Everyone loved my meat.

View attachment 239084

Wow..... If it tastes even half as good as it looks, you nailed it!

Willing to share info on brine and rub?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I have never tried using lump charcoal. In your experience, what are the benefits vs. using briquettes?

It has been so long since I've used briquettes, I am not sure I can opine with any expertise.

When I started using lump charcoal, it seemed like the air flowed better through the coals.

I am interested in hearing what others have to say about it though!

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Wow..... If it tastes even half as good as it looks, you nailed it!

Willing to share info on brine and rub?
    Brine was 2 gallons of water and 2 cups of course grind sea salt. Heat 2 Qt of water in the microwave and dissolve the salt as much as possible. Placed the turkey in a cooler and added all the water. Added 3 oranges (quartered), 2 onions, 2 bay leaves, 2Tbsp Thyme, and 1/4 cup peppercorns. Added a half bag of ice to keep it cold, and set the cooler outside. After 24 hours, take the turkey out and rinse it with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Place it in the fridge with a loose tent of plastic wrap. I stuck some toothpicks in the turkey to keep the plastic wrap from sticking to the skin.

For the rub, I mixed 1 stick of butter with some Kinder's Prime Rib rub, and smeared it all over the skin.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Brine was 2 gallons of water and 2 cups of course grind sea salt. Heat 2 Qt of water in the microwave and dissolve the salt as much as possible. Placed the turkey in a cooler and added all the water. Added 3 oranges (quartered), 2 onions, 2 bay leaves, 2Tbsp Thyme, and 1/4 cup peppercorns. Added a half bag of ice to keep it cold, and set the cooler outside. After 24 hours, take the turkey out and rinse it with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Place it in the fridge with a loose tent of plastic wrap. I stuck some toothpicks in the turkey to keep the plastic wrap from sticking to the skin.

For the rub, I mixed 1 stick of butter with some Kinder's Prime Rib rub, and smeared it all over the skin.

Dang! Sounds delicious!!

Thank you!

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I have never tried using lump charcoal. In your experience, what are the benefits vs. using briquettes?
    Lump charcoal burns hotter, and leaves less ash, and has no additives. Its just 100% natural clean wood. Its easier to control temps by managing the vents as well. Briquettes are made by pressing sawdust into a square shape, and often use additives. I think lump gives a better flavor to the food than briquettes too.

Also, briquettes take a little more effort to light, so lots of people use lighter fluid, which is a big no-no in the grilling world. There are alternatives like chimney starters, but I put a tumbleweed in the middle of my stack of lump and it lights super easy.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Lump charcoal burns hotter, and leaves less ash, and has no additives. Its just 100% natural clean wood. Its easier to control temps by managing the vents as well. Briquettes are made by pressing sawdust into a square shape, and often use additives. I think lump gives a better flavor to the food than briquettes too.
    About what I was going to say. I'll add that to me if using good quality briquettes the taste is about the same, using cheaper ones not so much, and never use the "match light" or similar.

Briquettes seem to have better consistency regarding heat and burn time though. I believe due to the consistent size/shape.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom