• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I do a modified water bath method. I put it in a cooler weigh it down and fill it full of cold water. They say to change the water every 30 minutes, but that's if you don't have it in an insulated container. I've put a themometer in one and it never gets above 34-35 degrees. So I'm not too worried about changing the water.

My method is to take the turkey out of the freezer the day before Thanksgiving and toss it out to the dogs. Then I either smoke a pork loin or brisket.
    My method is to leave it in the store.
    Dang turkey haters, I've picked up 3 so far this year for the freezer. Probably get a couple more depending on room. Oven roasted isn't bad, but smoked... Just have to make sure not to over cook the breast. Now if we were talking turkey "bacon", I'd be right there with you.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I really don't mind turkey. Between family parties and the little bit of catering that I do, I have smoked plenty of them that turned out great. They're just not as good as some burnt ends or nice juicy pork loin.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I really don't mind turkey. Between family parties and the little bit of catering that I do, I have smoked plenty of them that turned out great. They're just not as good as some burnt ends or nice juicy pork loin.
    While I tend to agree, they are a nice change of pace once in a while. And when you can pick them up for $.45-50 a lb, well I can't really pass that up. I'm thinking of boning out the breast on one and making a "turchetta" and using the rest for turkey and noodles. Or maybe smoking the legs and just use the rest of the carcass for gravy for the turchetta.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    You sir are just not playing fair when you pit turkey against burnt ends and juicy pork loin.

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    I will bake one for Thanksgiving and then smoke one for Christmas. At 49 cents /lb I will try to pick up some spares and do them over the winter. Simmer the carcass with some veggies and make broth for Turkey soups and vacuum pack some of the meat

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    My decades old Weber kettle grill ended before 2022 did. It finally got to the point that while it functioned well, the structure gave out.

So today I picked up a new one... I suspect this will last longer than me.

Burned it off this morning.

Beef goes on this evening.

I'll miss the old kettle grill..can honestly say I have never missed a gas grill.

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Turning some of this

View attachment 238774

Into some of this tonight...

View attachment 238775

A little venison chili for the next several days.

Simmer it down for an hour or so, let it cool, then into the fridge to be reheated later.

God, I do love the fall!
    Throw a couple of chunks of your preferred wood on the charcoal and make over the top chili next time. The smoke really adds to it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom