• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimmothy86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    1. Oh my! That makes my surgery look like a piece of cake b/c you have to adjust your basic habits entirely for a lifetime and I will forget about mine after just a little while after the pain is gone (this won't be my first rodeo :dunno:).
    2. I have friends who have had that done, and you really do have to change your habits forever or after the first rush of weight lose, you can lose ground.
    3. Good luck with your life-altering decision: it's a tough one!
    Yeah, I've been on it since about last August so I'm excited!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. Actually, a couple of guys here (one that knows me well and we've been to the range together), recommended a 22LR conversion kit from Advantage Arms for the Glock 26.
    2. I wasn't going to do it b/c I like a dedicated gun but I was curious and love the wide "feel" of my 26, and it was on sale for $219 (retail $284), so I went for it.
    3. I don't like idea of having to take a gun apart and put it back together, but just replacing the entire slide seemed doable enough since I have to learn to do that anyway to clean and lube.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/category/advantage-arms.do

Advantage Arms .22 Long Rifle Conversion Kit for Gen 1-3 GLOCK 26/27 Models 10 Round Magazine Range Bag Matte Black Finish
    0.0No ReviewsWrite the First Review
    Brand: Advantage Arms UPC: 094308000114 MFR #: AACG26-27G3 Item #: 2-AACG26-27G3
    Our Low Price: $283.70

iipsrv.fcgi

1. Only I would respond to my own post. :dunno:
    2. Got it today, but since I've been to the range 2 days in a row and I am working in the garage today, I just can't sneak off again, but I'll have hopes for either Sunday pm or Monday.
    3. First, I've got to figure out how to get the slide off (you-tube vids are my friend.) :laugh:
    4. Can't wait to see how it does compared to my dedicated 22LRs that I've been testing against each other with my special 5 targets on 1 sheet that I love. :laugh:
    5. No, as a matter of fact, it doesn't take much to make/keep me happy. :rofl:

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    FWIW I recently bought a used but LNIB blued 6" MK IV from my local Cabela's for an outstanding price. I have to tell you it is an outstandingly accurate handgun. If you cant
    shoot sun 3" 20 yard groups it's your fault not the gun. It's my goal to shoot all my HGs as well as I can shoot my MK IV. Once you learn the take down and this is when
    YouTube is your best friend, it's not that difficult.
    I can now hit 3" clay birds at will at 25 yards, heck my boys ages 13 and 15 cab hit big clay birds at 20 yards pretty easily with it. I don't own a more enjoyable of fun gun to
    shoot.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    FWIW I recently bought a used but LNIB blued 6" MK IV from my local Cabela's for an outstanding price. I have to tell you it is an outstandingly accurate handgun. If you cant
    shoot sun 3" 20 yard groups it's your fault not the gun. It's my goal to shoot all my HGs as well as I can shoot my MK IV. Once you learn the take down and this is when
    YouTube is your best friend, it's not that difficult.
    I can now hit 3" clay birds at will at 25 yards, heck my boys ages 13 and 15 cab hit big clay birds at 20 yards pretty easily with it. I don't own a more enjoyable of fun gun to
    shoot.

1. I am negotiating with getting a Ruger Mark 4 Target pistol in app. 10 days b/c of the solid reports I have gotten here and at the gun shop.
    2. I am going to be able to take it to the range to be sure it is more accurate than my GSG 1911, RIA XT 1911 and Beretta Neos.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I saw this last evening online good through Father's Day:
    Ruger Mk IV on sale at Cabelas:

Regular Price: $449.99 Sale Price: $399.99 ($428 w/tax)
    Mark IV Target 40101
    Non-Fluted Bull Barrel
    .22 Long Rifle
    5.5 inches
    10+1
    Blued
    Black, Checkered Synthetic
    9.75 inches
    35.6 ounces

I found a used one for $360, but I would pay $70 more and get a new one since I like to save more on a used gun, but used ones are at a premium, and the price on used reflects it on the ones I have found.
    I thought I might order the Ruger from Cabelas today, but I have decided to let it go for now.
    Also, there has been an extension online at Rural King on the Buck Mark Micro Bull Barrel for $305 + tax/$22 = $327 - the Browning $50 rebate = $277.
    I have been told to buy the Buck Mark by some, and to buy the Ruger by others, with both admitting the other is a fine gun.
    When I think of the Buck Mark, I wonder how much better it is than my SW MP Compact that I bought at Rural King new at $300 ($321 w/tax).
    The Smith Compact is not as accurate as my other .22LRs: GSG 1911, RIA 1911, and Smith A-1, and even my humble Beretta Neos.
    I'm thinking the Buck Mark could not be any better than all of these that are already better than my Smith Compact.
    This makes me wonder about the Ruger: perhaps it is more accurate than all or even some of my other semi-autos.
    But I do wonder just how much better it really would be since a already have good supply of semi-autos already.

My choices were:
    a. Don't buy either: stick with what you have
    b. Ruger is better than all of them: get it
    c. Ruger worth $150 more than Buck Mark
    d. Buck Mark at the price point of $150 less than the Ruger, get the Buck Mark b/c of my level of shooting
    e. Don't get the Buck Mark no matter what you do, b/c all your other guns are as good if not better.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just a couple of thoughts and the direction I would probably go.

The SW 22A-1 is probably in the ball park with the Buck Mark and the Rugers. I don’t recall seeing any reviews or reports of it having bad accuracy.

If you are seeing the 1911 22s as being more accurate in your hands, maybe the Ruger 22/45 would be a better option than the Target models.

Overall, I’d trim the overlapping options and focus on finding which ones you enjoy the most and practice with those to maximize their accuracy potential. Option A is probably the logical decision.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just a couple of thoughts and the direction I would probably go.
    The SW 22A-1 is probably in the ball park with the Buck Mark and the Rugers. I don’t recall seeing any reviews or reports of it having bad accuracy.
    If you are seeing the 1911 22s as being more accurate in your hands, maybe the Ruger 22/45 would be a better option than the Target models.
    Overall, I’d trim the overlapping options and focus on finding which ones you enjoy the most and practice with those to maximize their accuracy potential. Option A is probably the logical decision.

1. Your input is always measured and well thought out: always appreciated! :thumbsup:

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    I found during break in on my AA conversion it was helpful to only load 5-7 rounds till things got loosened up.
    ALSO... AA is now recommending cci mini mags over Remington Golden bullets.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I found during break in on my AA conversion it was helpful to only load 5-7 rounds till things got loosened up.

1. :thumbsup:
    2. My first range session went well with 100 rounds using only the Remingtons and full mag loads.
    3. I'll try some CCI mini-mags next time, which will be awhile b/c I'm home from surgery learning how to get from my chair to the toilet. :laugh:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I find it best to tap the magazine floor plate on the shooting bench, etc to "seat" all the rounds when I load them up for the AA kit.

I've got a ton of mags for my Glock 19 AA kit, as Cal's Sporting Armory (now out of business) used to run them really cheap.

I'll have the occasional failure with the Remington Golden Bullets but not alot. Honestly never tried the cci mini mags in it, as I have quite a stack of the Golden Bullets built up. Interested to hear how they work for folks.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Another range time with 3 pistols to see about trimming either the Shield Compact .22 or the Walther P22Q.

Short version:
    tyzdJgd.jpg

All 30', using CCI Mini-Mags: 1260 FPS and 36 grain hollow points

Beretta Neos beats both (and is the best of all my semi-autos).
    Walther P22Q beat the Smith Compact, which surprised the heck out of me.
    Getting ready to go to the range today and will test these results again b/c I want to sell either the Walther or Smith Compact or maybe even both eventually.
    It depends whether I end up buying a Ruger Mark 4 Target, or even a Browning Buckmark.
    I was all set to sell the Walther b/c I thought the Shield beat it out, but now I'm not so sure.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time again: T.6.26.2018
    All 30'
    Using CCI Mini-Mags, 1235 FPS, 36 grain, HP

4ngo34Q.jpg
    KTQf388.jpg
    gidk8N9.jpg
    FIcHoyT.jpg

In the RED:
    1st = x23 rounds = Beretta Neos
    2nd = x13 rounds = Glock 26 w/.22LR conversion kit
    3rd = x10 rounds = S/W M/P Compact
    4th = x9 rounds = Walther P22QD

In the RED and GREY:
    1st = x45 rounds = Beretta Neo
    2nd = x36 rounds = S/W M/P Compact
    3rd = x32 rounds = Walther P22Q
    4th = x31 rounds = Glock 26 w/.22LR conversion kit

In the RED and GREY and BLACK:
    1st = x49 rounds Neos
    2nd = x43 rounds Compact
    3rd = x40 rounds Walther
    4th = x35 rounds Glock

Wild shots (in the WHITE) lowest number wins:
    1st = x1 Neos
    2nd = x5 Compact
    3rd = 10 Walther
    4th = 12 Glock

S/W M/P Compact beats the Walther P22QD today.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Do yourself a favor and try shooting those pistols with milder ammo-- subsonics, ideally.

HV ammo tends to cause straight blowback guns to open the action a little prematurely, exaggerating the variation in round to round. My SW22 Victory LOVES the Aguila subsonic, Wolf Match Target, and standard velocity Aguila and CCI.

Unfortunately, most bulk ammo is high velocity-- 1250+ fps. In a blowback pistol, that makes it run both less accurately, but also much dirtier. I was stunned how much cleaner my Victory was after a few boxes of "standard" or "subsonic" compared to bulk ammo or other HV ammo.

I'd encourage you to repeat your experiment with ammo milder than Golden Bullets and see if you don't agree that the milder stuff is the way to go for 22 pistols.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Do yourself a favor and try shooting those pistols with milder ammo-- subsonics, ideally.

HV ammo tends to cause straight blowback guns to open the action a little prematurely, exaggerating the variation in round to round. My SW22 Victory LOVES the Aguila subsonic, Wolf Match Target, and standard velocity Aguila and CCI.

Unfortunately, most bulk ammo is high velocity-- 1250+ fps. In a blowback pistol, that makes it run both less accurately, but also much dirtier. I was stunned how much cleaner my Victory was after a few boxes of "standard" or "subsonic" compared to bulk ammo or other HV ammo.

I'd encourage you to repeat your experiment with ammo milder than Golden Bullets and see if you don't agree that the milder stuff is the way to go for 22 pistols.

Yep, just realize that AA kit is ammo sensitive and will only run with the recommended ammo (has a lot to do with bullet profile and the kit being engineered to fit an already existing gun, I believe).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. Oh, my! I thought with semi-autos they needed the higher velocities to cycle properly!
    2. Now I'm confused, but I have alot of standard ammo and even some subsonic I've picked up: I'll see if it works.
    3. In my Bersa Thunder that I've sold, it needed a "hot" ammo to cycle.
    4. You certainly got my attention talking about firing cleaner.
    5. I will do so, and might find some to take today when I get with a member at the range to try out a couple of guns he has, and he to try out a couple of mine.

Yep, just realize that AA kit is ammo sensitive and will only run with the recommended ammo (has a lot to do with bullet profile and the kit being engineered to fit an already existing gun, I believe).

6. Yes, and it listed the couple of ammo brands that it recommended, and I even saw an update somewhere of a different one they were using and I think replacing 1 of the 2 that had mentioned.

From Advantage Arms:
    DO NOT USE STINGER OR ANY OTHER
    HYPER VELOCITY AMMO.
    DO NOT USE REMINGTON “THUNDERBOLTS”
    Over the years CCI 40 grain round nose MiniMags have proven to be the most consistent and reliable brand of ammo. Other brands tend to vary from one production run to the next, they may work fine one time, however, the next time you buy them you start experiencing feeding and cycling problems. If this happens, it’s more likely the ammo causing the problem and not the kit, in this situation you should try another brand of ammo.
    Recommended Ammo for the following kits:

17-22, 19-23, 26-27- CCI MiniMags (40 grain round nose not hollow points), Remington Golden Bullets 550/525 round Bonus Back, CCI Blazers.
    20-21, 29-30 - CCI MiniMags (40 grain round nose not hollow points), Remington Golden Bullets 550/525 round Bonus Back, CCI Blazers.
    NOT Recommended: CCI MiniMag hollow points, any Winchester ammo, any Federal ammo, Remington Thunderbolts, CCI Stinger or any other hyper velocity ammo.
    Note: The Remington Golden Bullets work quite well, however, you will get more light strikes and inconsistent loads than with the other recommended ammo

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    6. Yes, and it listed the couple of ammo brands that it recommended, and I even saw an update somewhere of a different one they were using and I think replacing 1 of the 2 that had mentioned.

From Advantage Arms:
    DO NOT USE STINGER OR ANY OTHER
    HYPER VELOCITY AMMO.
    DO NOT USE REMINGTON “THUNDERBOLTS”
    Over the years CCI 40 grain round nose MiniMags have proven to be the most consistent and reliable brand of ammo. Other brands tend to vary from one production run to the next, they may work fine one time, however, the next time you buy them you start experiencing feeding and cycling problems. If this happens, it’s more likely the ammo causing the problem and not the kit, in this situation you should try another brand of ammo.
    Recommended Ammo for the following kits:

17-22, 19-23, 26-27- CCI MiniMags (40 grain round nose not hollow points), Remington Golden Bullets 550/525 round Bonus Back, CCI Blazers.
    20-21, 29-30 - CCI MiniMags (40 grain round nose not hollow points), Remington Golden Bullets 550/525 round Bonus Back, CCI Blazers.
    NOT Recommended: CCI MiniMag hollow points, any Winchester ammo, any Federal ammo, Remington Thunderbolts, CCI Stinger or any other hyper velocity ammo.
    Note: The Remington Golden Bullets work quite well, however, you will get more light strikes and inconsistent loads than with the other recommended ammo

Yep, you got it. My comment was really more related directly to the recommendation for different ammo upstream. Might work fine in the others, but straying from the ammo recommended by AA in that kit will definitely lead to issues.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Rem Thunderbolt leaded up my Victory barrel something terrible. I bent a rod pushing the jag through and finally got 1" long strips of lead to come out of the rifling! It was brutal. Searching online shows this is a common problem with T-bolt and semi autos.

It seems perfectly fine in a bolt gun or revolver, however.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Rem Thunderbolt leaded up my Victory barrel something terrible. I bent a rod pushing the jag through and finally got 1" long strips of lead to come out of the rifling! It was brutal. Searching online shows this is a common problem with T-bolt and semi autos.
    It seems perfectly fine in a bolt gun or revolver, however.

1. Thanks for the heads-up! I'll save the ones I've got for revolver use! (they were on my "bad" list from other's advice.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I got together with a member here (Areoflyer09) to shoot at the range this pm and we were in a flurry b/c we had a 2 hrs. of shooting to do before closing time in an hour.
    First, after we dismissed some business with our Dan Wesson revolvers (another thread) we got down to testing out his Ruger Mark 4 and Ruger 22/45 with a red dot laser (probably not the correct name).
    2. We pitted it against my beloved Beretta Neos, going head-to-head, even though I had an RIA for him to shoot as well.
    3. Bottom line: my Beretta beat out the Mark 4 by a nose in the "red zone" but if you counted the red and grey zone it was closer or maybe even.
    4. If I shot them both regularly a point could be made that the Mark 4 would beat out the Beretta.
    5. When Areoflyer09 used my Beretta Neos, he could shoot it better than me, of course: he did some serious good shooting by my standards.
    When we had finished with a target we'd shoot at the small numbers beneath each individual target and he would be shooting out the number, while I was be glad to get close to that number.

6. Next up was the Ruger 22/45 with the laser, but I was shooting it off to the right, and he said there was a learning curve to it, but I immediately went back to his Mark 4 which was a sweet shooting gun, but I do still really love the feel and accuracy of the Neos: the most underrated and ignored .22LR that I've read about.
    It has to be the best gun for under $300 out there.
    7. Compared to the other semi-autos, the Smith Compact and Walther p22Q should not be allowed to live in the same safe with it, and I will sell 1 or both of them, starting with the Walther.
    8. The verdict is still out on the R.I.A. 1911 XT and the GSG 1911 in comparison to the Neos: I'll be slow to cut either one of them b/c I have twice the money in each than in the Beretta Neos and I love all three of them at this point with their variances in "feel." (and I always have my Glock 26 I bought the Advantage Arms .22LR conversion kit for that is a hoot to shoot)
    9. If I felt a need to keep a lighter .22LR, I'll keep the Smith Compact since I bought it new and have an attachment to it I don't have with the used Walther which I picked up in a trade when I was selling my Taurus 85 stainless.
    10. By the summer's end, it should be over (decisions made and guns sold) since I have nothing to do while recuperating from hip surgery than go to the range every day and a few books to read. :dunno:

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Preface: I'm not knocking your fun with moving through guns...

But, all of your reviews should be noted that it is your accuracy that is displayed, not the guns you are shooting. I can't imagine that a range trip with you is relaxing. I imagine it as a fast paced whirlwind sending targets down range fast and switching pistols every 15 minutes,and that is cool but not necessarily efficient or conducive to mastering a pistol. The big name Gun reviewers spend hours with a single pistol before putting a review online. It takes time to learn where an individual pistol will hit, where its trigger breaks and resets, and time to get a proper and repeatable grip. All of those items lead to marked improvements in accuracy. Taking 20 shots then swapping to another pistol is fun, but not practice and will not improve your personal accuracy. The really good reviewers are basically experts with a model before they post performance specs, think Mac and hickock45... people come across this forum from googling a gun, and if they are searching for any 22 or small 9mm they will find your posts.

I'm no Marksman so I don't put up accuracy tests, unless I'm bragging about a good day, but I don't mind sharing opinions and experiences. I'm thinking the right thing for the community as a whole would be for you to focus your reviews on your experience with operation, not your haphazard accuracy tests.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to help anyone that may come across one of your threads and think of them as a fair judge of a pistol's capabilities. I'm all for enjoying shooting however you choose to enjoy.
    Just rememberr the reach your posts have, especially since you have so many.

Top Bottom