• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time with only 3 semi-autos this time:
    my "new" Browning Buckmark 5.5" I got last weekend when buying ammo off a member,
    and my "newish" Ruger Mark 4 bought off another member recently.
    The Shield M/P Compact I bought new and was so upset with it I came home and
    took pics to sell it, but I discovered that the rear sight was loose,
    which was causing it to shoot high, so I'll have to give it another chance,
    but the Shield was shooting less than my other .22s anyway,
    so I have to make sure, but I'm going to cut "some" .22s.

The Buckmark was outstanding 1st time I shot it: it's going to be a winner
    for me. I am really impressed. The Mark 4 and the Shield both will
    have to go if I verify this when I have more time (Shield will get cut first).
    aqYLIP8.jpg

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Shadow 2 is to 9mm what a SW Model 41 is to 22....just sayin'....

Dayuuum...that might be a pricey comment for doddg unless school starting slows him down.

Short of a S&W 41, I filled up my Rugger Mk 3 with Volquartsen parts. It'll do.
    Wn7ot1l.gif

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Shadow 2 is to 9mm what a SW Model 41 is to 22....just sayin'....

1. I have heard that before and have listed the models I'm aware of.
    Not the analogy about CZs just the "sharpness" of the model 41.
    2. Are there more models?
    3. Which do I buy: longest barrel?
    4. Go for the less expensive model?

Dayuuum...that might be a pricey comment for doddg unless school starting slows him down.

5. I'm to a point I could go for it if I knew which model to get and whether I should buy a new one or wait for a used one to save ?? dollars.
    6. I have 8 semi-autos. I could sell some of them to pay for a Smith 41, if I should go that route.
    7. I would not want to have buyers regret b/c I should have gotten a different model.
    8. Don't want to go through with what I did with the CZs and keep getting a different model every week to get where: I'm done!
    9. Are the newer ones made as well as older models?

Short of a S&W 41, I filled up my Rugger Mk 3 with Volquartsen parts. It'll do.
    Wn7ot1l.gif

There seem to be 3 models?:

SMITH & WESSON
    Smith & Wesson 41 Rimfire M41
    PRODUCT CODE : 022188305111
    $1,299.99
    Mfg Item #: 130511

convert

Action single action
    Barrel 5.5"
    Finish Blue
    Length 10.5"
    Sights Adjustable
    Caliber 22 LR
    Capacity 10+1

SMITH & WESSON
    Smith & Wesson 41 Performance Center Optic Ready M41
    PRODUCT CODE : 022188780314
    $1,290.99
    Mfg Item #: 178031

convert

Smith & Wesson Model 41, Target, Full Size, 22LR,
    5.5" Heavy Barrel,
    Steel Frame, Blue Finish, Wood Grips,
    Adjustable Sights, 10Rd,
    2 Magazines 178031

SMITH & WESSON
    Smith & Wesson 41 Rimfire M41
    PRODUCT CODE : 022188305128
    $1,093.99
    Mfg Item #: 130512
    convert

Action single action
    Barrel 7"
    Finish Blue
    Length 12"
    Sights Adjustable
    Caliber 22 LR
    Capacity 10+1

Specifications
    Weight 41 oz
    Length 10​1⁄2"
    Barrel length 5​1⁄2" or 7"

SKU: 130511
    Model: Model 41
    Caliber: 22 LR
    Capacity: 10+1
    Safety: Thumb Safety
    Barrel Length: 5.5" / 14 cm
    Overall Length: 10.5"
    Front Sight: Patridge
    Rear Sight: Adjustable
    Action: Single Action
    Grip: Wood Target
    Weight: 46.4 oz / 1,315.4g
    Barrel Material: Carbon Steel
    Slide Material: Carbon Steel
    Frame Material: Carbon Steel
    Slide Finish: Blue
    Frame Finish: Blue
    Purpose: Competition Shooting, Enthusiast, Hunting, Recreational Shooting, State Compliance

SPECIFICATIONS
    SKU: 178031
    Model: PERFORMANCE CENTER® Model 41
    Caliber: 22 LR
    Capacity: 10+1
    Safety: Thumb Safety
    Barrel Length: 5.5" / 14 cm
    Overall Length: 10.5"
    Front Sight: Removable
    Rear Sight: Adjustable
    Action: Single Action

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    That is another very deep rabbit hole.

They have produced the Model 41 (more or less) since shortly after World War 2.

Some would say the 1980's era-ish was the last of the best for fit and finish and I would probably agree with that. Personally, I think the accuracy of the newer models is on par with anything you will likely find in a vintage "shooter" model 41.

If I was going to dip my toe in the Model 41 world, I would either buy the railed performance center model (maybe $1600) or find a lightly used any model (maybe $1000 to $1250). I would stay away from older ones unless you are thinking collector status. Pay particular attention to the barrel crown if you buy used. They can be easily corrected but if you are going for accuracy - you will want a pristine crown. Pretty unlikely you find a Model 41 that has been shot out without the exterior showing heavy use.

All the current production models are very similar. The Performance Center guns have had some personal attention and while they may not be the custom guns of yesterday; they do tend to be the best of the current production.

The rail is nice as you can have a lot of fun with an optic on a 22!

You are such a fan of the 22; you owe it to yourself to own one at least once. You've had many of the production 22 pistols. Maybe you'd think about a rifle? I have a CZ 455 with a scope that'll shave each individual whisker off a squirrel at 100 yards. Very affordable and very accurate.

Next someone will come along and introduce you to Annie...she is not a cheap date.

Why? Because INGO is full of enablers!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Best bud has the Performance Center SW41. That is a shooter. I've personally witnessed him placing five rounds in a 3" circle at 25 yards! I can't reliably do that at 7 yards.

It had to go back to S&W once for a breakage, and it's pretty ammo picky for reliable feeding and extraction. But the good news is that it's super accurate and reliable with basic CCI standard velocity stuff.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Finally got around to another range day with the .22LRs, and it has been awhile since school started up and I got real busy.
    The Browning Buckmark 5.5" was tested against the Beretta Neos with the Ruger Mark 4.

In using a target that I had shot the Sig 365 on, I drew some 2.5 - 3 inch circles on it and tried all 3 out on it and the Browning Buckmark won that contest:
    a. 10/Browning Buckmark
    b. 9/Beretta Neos
    c. 7/Ruger Mark 4

In 30' here it is with the Browing Buckmark winning (my new top contender beating out the Beretta Neos:
    QMAl6M5.jpg

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The lower right Mark IV grouping looks like the tightest group you’ve posted of it.

Can I suggest if you want to find out how accurate each is to try a different approach?

Instead of hopping round and round from each 22, try taking one at time and spending some time getting to used to each one. Or run 2-3 mags through each before shooting it’s “test” target. It will eliminate the need to adjust to each which can throw off the initial shots, skewing the “accuracy”.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The lower right Mark IV grouping looks like the tightest group you’ve posted of it.

1. I thought so to, and actually was surprised since it will shoot low and to the right for me.

Can I suggest if you want to find out how accurate each is to try a different approach?

2. I knew what you were going to say before I read it, b/c I'd thought about shooting all 5 targets (of the 5 in 1 target) with the same gun instead of shooting all the guns I brought my 5 in 1 target. (Actually did that with my Sig 365 tonight since I was testing different ammo with it)

Instead of hopping round and round from each 22, try taking one at time and spending some time getting to used to each one. Or run 2-3 mags through each before shooting it’s “test” target. It will eliminate the need to adjust to each which can throw off the initial shots, skewing the “accuracy”.

3. As much as I enjoy shooting different guns at the same 5 in 1 target, I believe that is what is next in my "evolution."
    4. I just ordered another case of 9mm since I've been going through it faster than my .22LR b/c of this summer's CZ journey and the latest Sig 365 buy.
    5. I enjoy the Shadow 2 so much, I think I'll take it to the range all by itself and really try some longer distances with it just for fun (I'll have to ask the range how far it goes: 50' or maybe 55'?)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time with a Colt Target .22 (1997-98)
    and another S/W 22A (cameo grip) I picked up from the same person,
    along with a couple of others.

40' with the "top five"
    Hqb0mU0.jpg

20' with Colt Target & S/W 22A and Browning Buckmark
    jElFtg4.jpg

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    1. Since I didn't own my Buckmark, that must be yours, and at your 66', those certainly aren't my groups:
    I'd be happy to that at 40'.
    Yes, but my Buckmark is cheating. It has a longer barrel than most of my rifles, and a Leupold. :D

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time with my 2 S/W 22A pistols: my "new" cameo and my "old" wood handles.
    Plus, the "new" Colt target .22LR.
    Then some of my other .22LR: Browning Buckmark, Beretta Neos, Ruger Mark 4

5PnV78A.jpg

d3bAim5.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A nice relaxing day at the range with nothing but 5 .22LR pistols.
    Using the S/W Victory that I picked up today, along with the Colt Target I got last week, along with the Ruger Mark 4 I got last summer (I think), and the Browning Buckmark I got not too long ago and the GSG I've had for awhile (ZR Tactical in Noblesville).

The Buckmark has been my strong contender, but it was the weak one today by a shot.
    83uG4lz.jpg

The Buckmark and the Victory won at 40' with the most red bullseyes, with the Victory looking the best: looks good for the buy of the SW Victory today.
    F7NR4gB.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time with the two Mark 4s (old and new) and the two S/W 22A-1 (wood and cameo handles).
    I somehow lost my pics of the two S/W 22A-1, but the wood beats the cameo out at 20', 30' and 50'.

Some 30' and some 20' on the same target for the Mark 4s.
    The two Ruger Mark 4s are really close: hard to chose between.
    hH7R8f9.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I found my 50' range time target from yesterday with the two S/W 22A-1,
    and the two Ruger Mark 4 ("old" and "new").
    The Wood grip keeps edging out the Cameo grip, so I'll get around to selling it.
    The "old" and "new" Ruger Mark 4s keep taking turns beating each other,
    and I'm keeping both until there is a clear winner.
    Good news is the grip is different, with different front sights and a couple of other differences in accessories that
    make keeping both fine for now.
    thumbnail

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Did some 30' work this evening but didn't take the time to take pics, but here are the results with the pistols I used.
    5 targets each with a red inner circle, grey 2nd bigger circle, black 3rd bigger circle, and white background off target.
    I have the RIA XT-22 1911 up for sale and when I get around to it the Sig Sauer P250 (DAO).

1st Place: Colt Target (Red = 23; Red and Grey = 48; Black = 2; White = 0)

2nd Place: R.I.A. XT-22 1911 (Red = 20; Red and Grey = 45; Black = 4; White = 1)

3rd Place: Beretta Neos (Red = 15; Red and Grey = 41; Black = 5; White = 3)

4th Place: GSG 1911 (upgraded) ( Red = 14; Red and Grey = 39; Black = 9; White = 1)

5th Place: Sig P250 ( Red = 12; Red and Grey = 41; Black = 4; White = 4)

Top Bottom