• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Preface: I'm not knocking your fun with moving through guns...
    But, all of your reviews should be noted that it is your accuracy that is displayed, not the guns you are shooting. I can't imagine that a range trip with you is relaxing. I imagine it as a fast paced whirlwind sending targets down range fast and switching pistols every 15 minutes,and that is cool but not necessarily efficient or conducive to mastering a pistol. The big name Gun reviewers spend hours with a single pistol before putting a review online. It takes time to learn where an individual pistol will hit, where its trigger breaks and resets, and time to get a proper and repeatable grip. All of those items lead to marked improvements in accuracy. Taking 20 shots then swapping to another pistol is fun, but not practice and will not improve your personal accuracy. The really good reviewers are basically experts with a model before they post performance specs, think Mac and hickock45... people come across this forum from googling a gun, and if they are searching for any 22 or small 9mm they will find your posts.
    I'm no Marksman so I don't put up accuracy tests, unless I'm bragging about a good day, but I don't mind sharing opinions and experiences. I'm thinking the right thing for the community as a whole would be for you to focus your reviews on your experience with operation, not your haphazard accuracy tests.
    I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to help anyone that may come across one of your threads and think of them as a fair judge of a pistol's capabilities. I'm all for enjoying shooting however you choose to enjoy.
    Just rememberr the reach your posts have, especially since you have so many.

1. Your assessments are correct.
    2. I shoot my guns comparing one with another with my limited skills, and it is my idea of a good time since I lead a boring life.
    3. Perhaps I should not post my results at the range if others think my experience with any said gun is anything but an amateur's very limited experience and especially if it reflects badly on this forum, which would make me cringe since I'm not pretentious about what I'm doing here: enjoying myself.
    4. For that, I have come under some criticism, not sharing the level of many here, but I have the utmost respect for those who have made this a lifelong obsession and have such insights about everything gun-related.
    5. I assumed that since my posts are "Shooting for Dummies" level, that when I have a thread going, the experts and professionals would just stay away and not bother reading b/c of my frame of reference being what it is.
    6. I am not here to irritate anyone, and if I get a bunch of pms telling me to go away or stop posting: I will listen.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Nah you're not irritating, if anything your threads are entertaining and refreshing to see some one just enjoying it. I only brought it up because I happened on one of your posts on Google. The casual observer tends to take casual posts as serious content and can and do make a judgement of a purchase off of a single read post. I don't mean to be a wet blanket

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It was an enjoyable time, if a bit rushed. More of just shooting to try different things as much as anything else.

The Neos is a great shooter though, quite fun. I enjoyed this one a lot.

The RIA is interesting, it has an unusual recoil impulse. Very much unlike the Mark series, Victory or the Neos. You feel more than you would expect given the weight of the pistol. Could be due to the slide and it’s unique cut.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It was an enjoyable time, if a bit rushed. More of just shooting to try different things as much as anything else.
    The Neos is a great shooter though, quite fun. I enjoyed this one a lot.
    The RIA is interesting, it has an unusual recoil impulse. Very much unlike the Mark series, Victory or the Neos. You feel more than you would expect given the weight of the pistol. Could be due to the slide and it’s unique cut.

1. Yes, since I enjoy having different .22LRs as long as each has a different "feel" to it: it stays in the safe for now till I get tired of it or the GSG with all the upgrades.
    2. There was an upgraded Kimber .22LR pistol that was "expensive" at ZR Tactical Guns, where I bought the upgraded GSG when I went to buy their upgraded Browning but didn't.
    I also bought a Beretta Nano there that they took in on trade.
    3. I've always wondered if I should have bought the upgraded Kimber (could have bought a SS one for $500 months ago on Armslist and regretted not doing it but at the time I just couldn't do it).

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    When it comes to Kimber and semi-autos, I lean on the side of caution and avoid them. Their new revolver on the other hand has had fewer issues that I can find and is drool worthy.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    When it comes to Kimber and semi-autos, I lean on the side of caution and avoid them. Their new revolver on the other hand has had fewer issues that I can find and is drool worthy.

1. Thanks for taking the time for feedback!
    2. That is exactly the feedback I've gotten, but it was a STUNNER! :laugh:
    3. I wish we would have had 2 hrs. to have taken our time yesterday, but with my open vacation time, just call or text your next availablity. You mentioned Sunday, but I don't know how busy they are on weekend since I avoid it, having only 6 lanes. I'll call and ask though, just in case.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Took the Walther P22QD and my SW MP Compact 22 to find out (for the 3rd time) which one gets cut.
    I took the R.I.A. XT 1911-22 just for fun, with the Beretta Neos as a back up, but never used it b/c I was having too much fun with the R.I.A.

I took 3 types of ammo to be sure which worked with the Walther.
    Remington Golden Bullets: 36 grain, HP, 1400 FPS = PERFECT
    CCI Mini-Mags = PERFECT
    Aguila HV Eley Prime, 40 gr = Walther had 3 FTF or FTE, and the R.I.A. had a couple, but I think I didn't have the magazine seated properly in the RIA.
    Blazer 40 grain, lead nose (I didn't use them since I thought the lead nose would be dirty and I'll save it for my revolvers)

The Walther P22QD and Smith Compact take turns beating each other, which of course, reflects on the human factor.
    The Walter beat the Smith today at 30' but the Smith was tied with the Walther at 20', but the Walther has been edging out the Smith the last 2 range visits.
    When I was shooting just to see the pattern/groupings the Smith placed more shots w/i 2 inches, but it was very close.
    I am trying to root for the Smith Compact so I can sell the Walther P22QD, but it seems to be a flip of the coin, but since I bought the Smith new (and have more money in it) and got the Walther on a trade, I will sell the Walther.
    Since I love the Smith, but the Beretta Neos is a better gun, I guess I need to sell the Smith also, but it is killing me.
    I might just do a "few" more tests to see if logic can win out instead of "attachment."

I love the "feel" of the Smith Compact in my hand better than the Walther P22QD.

The R.I.A. 1911 XT did great, beating out both the Walther and Smith; I didn't even bother to get the Noes out since it has consistently beats everything I've got.

The Gold

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range report with only the Shield Compact and Walther P22Q

euQncf3.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range report with my "new" Ruger Mark 4 I bought off of Areoflyer09.
    I have used his gun before at the range before I bought it, and I previously used a range rental Mark 4.

I shot it against my famous Beretta Neos that shoots better than any other semi-auto I have (love the grip/angle of the Neos).
    Unfortunately I don't have the target pic b/c I made a mistake and ruined it for a visual but I had written the results down.

Short version: very close.

I was using Remington Golden Bullets: 1400 FPS, 36 grain, HP

30'
    Beretta Neos:
    Red = 6 then 7 = 13 Total
    Green= 4 then 3 = 20 Total (when adding in the Red)
    Black = N/A
    White= N/A
    (shoots a little HIGH)

Ruger Mark 4:
    Red = 5 then 8 = 13 total
    Green = 5 then 2 = 20 total (when adding in the Red)
    Black = N/A
    White= N/A
    (shoots a little LOW)

I bought the Ruger Mark 4 b/c it is expected from anyone shooting 22LR. :laugh:
    If I had to choose between the two today, I would choose the Beretta Neos, which is why I wasn't going to buy the Mark 4 after trying it, but he gave me a price that forced me into it. :dunno:
    With more practice, I suspect the Mark 4 will win out.
    Getting the sights adjusted on both will help fine tune everything b/c now I have to remember which shoots low and which shoots high.
    I'll have to try 40 feet next time to really see.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Ok, need some pics of the Mark IV, and yes, I know what one looks like, but we need to see pics of your new acquisition. It is a requirement, and not stock internet pics, but pics of yours.

As many guns as you pass through, it's a requirement now for you to show us gun pics.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Ok, need some pics of the Mark IV, and yes, I know what one looks like, but we need to see pics of your new acquisition. It is a requirement, and not stock internet pics, but pics of yours.

As many guns as you pass through, it's a requirement now for you to show us gun pics.

doddg got a Mark IV. Call me jealous! My LGS has Mk III 22/45 (red one) for $250 and I almost picked it up just because.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    doddg got a Mark IV. Call me jealous! My LGS has Mk III 22/45 (red one) for $250 and I almost picked it up just because.

Yep, I've stayed away from the Ruger Mark series before the IV because of the gymnastics required to put them back together without the aftermarket kits. The Mark IV's make that much easier now, I understand, so would be cool to get one... though I'd have to factor in the cost of a rail and an optic of some sort, just because I could.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This is a pic from where Areoflyer09 posted it for sale. :dunno:
    I'm too tired to get up and take fresh pics, but maybe tomorrow. :) Or not.

attachment.php

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The MkIV is a breeze to take down. By far the easiest semi auto that I’ve broken down and easily the fastest to do so with. The MkIII is slower and more difficult, but not to the point where a lot of internet experts claim to be.

Like I said when we talked Doddg, I think if you put the time in to learn the MkIV you will be happy with the performance. I loved the accuracy, but the MkIII I picked up has more pluses for my current use (and future use) for a semi-auto 22. Though the 22/45 Lite isn’t as easy to be as acuurate with as the MkIV was. Trade offs I guess. Lol

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. Understood, Obi-wan: it shall be as you say. :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The MkIV is a breeze to take down. By far the easiest semi auto that I’ve broken down and easily the fastest to do so with. The MkIII is slower and more difficult, but not to the point where a lot of internet experts claim to be.

Like I said when we talked Doddg, I think if you put the time in to learn the MkIV you will be happy with the performance. I loved the accuracy, but the MkIII I picked up has more pluses for my current use (and future use) for a semi-auto 22. Though the 22/45 Lite isn’t as easy to be as accurate with as the MkIV was. Trade offs I guess. Lol

1. I am grateful to have the Ruger Mark 4, especially being able to buy it off someone I know and trust: priceless! :thumbsup:
    2. I was not going to buy a Mark 4 b/c since I really didn't need another semi-auto and my CZ sickness that attacked THIS last week (buying not 1 but 2 CZs). :wallbash: and :rockwoot:all at the same time. I'm supposed to be trimming and I bought 3 guns this week.:crying: I hope my wife doesn't put it all together. :(
    3. I enjoyed shooting it today, and it is neck and neck, literally, with my Beretta Neos, but when I figure out how to adjust the sights (since it shoots a little low for me, and, ironically my Neos shoots a little high.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time with the "new" Ruger Mark 4 and the GSG 1911-22 (with upgrades form ZR Tactical).
    Using Aguila HP, 40 grain, with copper round nose.
    Short version: GSG wins over Mark 4 (Beretta did also)

20 feet with one 30 feet by Mark 4
    Kua3hLu.jpg

Ruger Mark 4
    RED: 2 + 7 = 9 total
    RED and GREY: 8 + 10 = 18 total
    BLACK: 1 in black

GSG 1911-22
    RED: 10 + 7 = 17 total
    RED and GREY: 10 + 10 = 20 total

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well, actually, unlike the title, just 4 semi-autos today: I was just having fun!

20 feet first, putting an X to aim at on an old target: yes, I'm that cheap!
    nLuSUbl.jpg

Now, a decent fresh target (my favorite targets until I find the 6 in 1): at 30 feet.
    tQ2kz52.jpg

Top Bottom