• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    My mill and ano tank are in my unheated garage so sometime in the spring is ideal. That works best for the anodizing too. The anodizing will be the slow part. It takes a couple hours and my ano tank would probably fit 8 to 10 lowers but my dye tank would only fit a couple at a time. If someone has an extra camping type electric stove we could possibly bump that up.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I don't foresee a group buy as being functional. I foresee people getting 80's and then setting a date.

Spring sounds doable.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    as far as setting the up the mill to do multiple and people buying multiple please bear in mind that the person who is keeping the AR in the machine is the one who has to push the run button. you cannot make a firearm for anyone else and the ARs you make can never be sold or transferred to any other person.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Definitely - I understand that. If we do do this, I will just write the programs and leave it up to others to bolt their lower to the table, hit run, and remove it after. Oh and how to change cutters if necessary. Depending on the number, it might not be feasible to get them all done in a day or two but I would be interested in getting in on a GB to get the price down.

JeepCrasher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    I'm in for 4. I've got a few (very few) machinist tools and a pretty decent drill press I could bring. I'd be willing to chip in on premade fixtures also.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I am so in for this. When someone decides to do the group buy, I'll take 4 80's.

If we do a build party, I'd love to hit the button on someone's CNC machine... and I'd be happy to bring my drill press and pizza!!

EDIT: I just checked and Ares Armor is completely out of stock on everything. We'll need to find another source for these.

Last edited:

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I would be in for 2.

One question though, if you wanted to make one of these for an SBR is that possible (given the proper form 1)?

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    if you want to make a SBR a s/n has to be assigned . I made a 80% at work a couple years ago . These forgings aren't always the best . The holes that are drilled don't always line up . There is a reason they made the 80% pile and not the finished pile . Mine came out fine . No real money savings though . Give suppliers a few weeks and the market should be flooded with finished lowers . Not to mention all the ones people bought for way too much money that they thought they would build .

MillenniumC5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Wayne County
    With the current buying frenzy I would imagine all the available forgings have been bought up by the manufactures and are being built into 100% lowers. You could always do a 0% lower from a block of billet. Here is a site of a guy who built one with a low cost small bench top mill. http://www.roderuscustom.tzo.com/ I have even seen a screw together design that might be easier for some doing the DIY route. It might be a good reason for me to build a DIY CNC.

Top Bottom