• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I think legally no one else can help you manufacturer these lowers aside from you. Will look more into it after dinner!

He could machine one of the lowers for himself and I could watch. Then, follow instructions to make my own :dunno:

(He is going to pay for one of them, I was going to pay for one, this way we would each have one)

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I looked for 3 hrs last night and could not find anyone that had them in stock. Most are stating June to July. My question would be since these are not firearms a ban would not affect them right?
    I also have tried looking at the legal issues to passing them on to my kids later down the road I found a interesting post on AR15 .com with some good incite.

finishing an 80% Lower, How's the law work??? - AR15.Com Archive

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I looked for 3 hrs last night and could not find anyone that had them in stock. Most are stating June to July. My question would be since these are not firearms a ban would not affect them right?
    I also have tried looking at the legal issues to passing them on to my kids later down the road I found a interesting post on AR15 .com with some good incite.

finishing an 80% Lower, How's the law work??? - AR15.Com Archive

Basically, if your intentions are to make it and keep it, you're good. If you decide later to sell it (to a proper person) or pass it to your kids, you're good. As long as you're intentions aren't to make/sell make/sell then it's legal as far as I can tell

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    The 0% forgings were $39.99 2 nights ago. Today they are up to $54

I found a website selling 0% forgings for $35/ea and 2-3 weeks shipping.

Worth it since I have access to a machine shop ? :dunno:

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    35 is ok for right now I guess. I paid 20 for mine a few years ago. It's certainly doable, it just isn't nearly as simple as the 80%. You will need more reamers and preferably a wire edm to do the magwell although it can be done with some end Mills and finished up with files.

Edited to add:

Here is a link to some instructions on how to complete a 0% forging

http://arlower.ray-vin.com/ar15

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    35 is ok for right now I guess. I paid 20 for mine a few years ago. It's certainly doable, it just isn't nearly as simple as the 80%. You will need more reamers and preferably a wire edm to do the magwell although it can be done with some end Mills and finished up with files.

Edited to add:

Here is a link to some instructions on how to complete a 0% forging

Index of /ar15

Thanks for the link. I have been studying it all morning (I found it earlier) :yesway:

reedo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Never heard of anything like this. I am really interested. How much work needs to be done on these to complete the lower?

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    The 0% forgings were $39.99 2 nights ago. Today they are up to $54

I found a website selling 0% forgings for $35/ea and 2-3 weeks shipping.

Worth it since I have access to a machine shop ? :dunno:

The broach to do the magwell is 5' long.
    We drilled and milled to get the magwell roughed in. A shaper head on a bridgeport might work to clean it out. We ended up filing by hand until every mag we owned functioned. Then anodized it. Turned out great, just too much time.
    Go 80%
    The blank was an exercise in "seeing if we could" not practicality.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    The broach to do the magwell is 5' long.
    We drilled and milled to get the magwell roughed in. A shaper head on a bridgeport might work to clean it out. We ended up filing by hand until every mag we owned functioned. Then anodized it. Turned out great, just too much time.
    Go 80%
    The blank was an exercise in "seeing if we could" not practicality.

For lack of any other options, and since it's winter time and weekends are pretty boring, might just grab the blanks and get on with it.

Not sure what type of equipment he has aceccss to, but there's a lot. It's a commercial machine shop and he has a super cool boss :yesway:

(Might have to do a pictorial thread once things get going :) )

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I'm all for some fun in the shop!
    Everything is straight forward following the plans. The big time consumer is the magwell, you'll be fine. Just measure twice before you cut!

varasha

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Indy East Side
    Got shipping confirmation on my 5 80% lowers yesterday. Orderd 2 jig sets, but i only have one drill press. Anyone else getting stuff together for a party?

VeteranUSN

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Wabash Valley
    I know I'm coming in late but if anyone can find where to buy the parts counts me in. I would also be willing to chip in on anything else needed. Just send me a PM

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    this sounds like fun. i love party's. actually i have a Hawaiian print shop apron just for the occasion. count me in for 1 if you allow a newby.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Well, I have had zero luck finding any 80%s at any cost. If looks like most are being finished to sell as 100%s. hopefully this dies down and they start showing up again soon but it looks iffy. A couple of the places I contacted are projecting availability in SEPTEMBER.

Top Bottom