• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    It appears the firearms industry has all but abandoned the idea of a 9mm Defensive Carbine.

Vector UZI: Cumbersome 16" barrel placement - must be SBR'd

Marlin Camp 9: Discontinued - S&W mags

Beretta Storm: Not worth $700+ - Beretta mags

Vector MP5: Same Pinocchio barrel as the UZI, $2000+

AR-15 Variant: Questionable mag blocks, $50 mags, price+

High Point 995: ...yeah...

MAC clones, Feather, other silliness: why bother

Any options that I have missed? Needs to be an option for defensive use....no need for a plinker.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    CMMG 9mmM4 MK-9.

No mag block. Dedicated 9mm lower. ASC 32 rd. magazines can be had for under $20. Building mine with an SRT Arms integral suppressor on a CMMG upper receiver.

One of the best there is. The lower is really nice. Pair it with an upper of your choice, I recommend CMMG. Looking at about $1000 for a full rifle.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Any options that I have missed? Needs to be an option for defensive use....no need for a plinker.

Just Right Carbine

DII_4995w.jpg

:D

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I think the OP is being awfully dismissive of the 9mm AR. As stated above, there are dedicated 9mm lowers available (CMMG, Rock River and DDLE come to mind), as well as some very good mag blocks (Hahn). Not all mags cost $50 a pop; you can find mags MUCH cheaper (as low as $12ea) that are good enough for training and such, and reserve the pricey/good ones for serious stuff.

Or if that doesn't do it for you, go with the JRC.

Why no Sub2000? Not "defensive" enough? The folding feature and different mag options, especially the Glock ones.

I'm not the OP, but having been inside a SUB2K and seen its Rube Goldberg-esque internals, you couldn't pay me to own one, much less bet my life on it for defensive use.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    I'm not the OP, but having been inside a SUB2K and seen its Rube Goldberg-esque internals, you couldn't pay me to own one, much less bet my life on it for defensive use.
    Care to elaborate? I'm new to actually having one (haven't even shot it yet), but a lot of people seem to have had good track records with them, even better than some of Kel-Tec's other stuff. There are plenty of Rube Goldberg guns that work, but on the surface I can definitely understand the issues in a complete tear down with it like with the two shells of the grip and handguard, etc.

But he did mention the Hi-Point. Internet hypothetical :D, if you had to pick between the two which would you go with?

But yes, 9mm ARs are nice for sure and probably the OPs best option if he has any good amount of AR experience. I'm just not an AR guy. I like that I can fold up the Sub2k in to a very small package in a trunk/get home bag.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I second the KelTec Sub2000. I have one that fits nicely in a laptop bag and travels well with several big magazines and a Glock 17 on road trips. I have a HiPoint 995 that actually shoots better groups than the Sub2k but I hate the 10 round magazines.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Many haters of the Hi Points but I would be willing to give one if they could get off the damn 10 round mag kick. Start using glock mags and I bet they would start selling better.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I was building another AR and wanted to do a pistol, submit the form, and wait for the stamp to sbr it. The lower was finished and after saving the cash was shopping used/new uppers on ARF while on the AIM mail list for restock on the Spike's I originally had my eye on.

Along came a Colt 635 SMG upper for a good price. Thinking a 9mm build was now or never, i bought it and was fully prepared to NOT like it and/or find it unreliable. I bought a Spike's Enhanced Mag Block, a ST-9X buffer and some inexpensive mags and some pricey Spike's mags. I assembled it... expecting the unreliable function I've read about from so many others. At best, this would be nothing but a range toy, right?

I'm in love now. 700-800 completely flawless rounds later, from both the cheap and pricey mags, and I love this thing! No further adjustment of the mag block. No issues of any kind. You know what else? Unlike the Draco pistol I sold, this doesn't feel like a toy but is a viable HD / close quarters weapon.

I'm still undecided whether I sbr this Spikes/Colt 9mm or whether the paperwork goes on the Noveske lower that is the next build. I can tell you I was walking into this format with extreme skepticism but was blown away by how much I liked it.

I'm impressed with what I've read about the DDLE dedicated lowers. Likewise, SBR'ing an UZI, like Suarez seems so fond of, seems very nice.

The 9mm carbine is alive and well. :)

Edit- slide two pins and the AR 9mm fits into a very small package. My transport is a 1500 series Pelican case with a two-layer foam... the size of a thick briefcase. Heck, fully assembled and it fits in a duffle bag or daypack.

Last edited:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    You can always do a Suomi for <$450 too.

Top Dog- I couldn't agree more. If they took Glock or even Colt pattern mags, I would have no problem giving them a try.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    I think the OP is being awfully dismissive of the 9mm AR. As stated above, there are dedicated 9mm lowers available (CMMG, Rock River and DDLE come to mind), as well as some very good mag blocks (Hahn). Not all mags cost $50 a pop; you can find mags MUCH cheaper (as low as $12ea) that are good enough for training and such, and reserve the pricey/good ones for serious stuff.

Or if that doesn't do it for you, go with the JRC.

What does Bradis have, in stock today, that fits your criteria for a quality 9mm AR? Brand + model + price?

I've seen the JRC.....more research necessary.....looks cheap.

Someone mentioned the Ruger PCRs.........with larger mags could be a winner.

Trying to avoid the SBR route for defensive use - personal preference.

The $1000 AR 9mm may be alive and well, but I don't see that many more options that I'd stake my personal safety on.

Top Bottom