• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I'm not the OP, but having been inside a SUB2K and seen its Rube Goldberg-esque internals, you couldn't pay me to own one, much less bet my life on it for defensive use.
    I have the original Sub-9 with all aluminum receiver (that I paid about $700 for in 1999) and I have put a thousand flawless rounds through it from 115 FMJ to 147 JHP. I do only use factory Glock mags (Glock 17 and Glock 33 rd. fun sticks through it, so maybe that helps the reliability). I would take it and trust it anywhere that I couldn't take my M&P15. Shooter521, do you have any experience with the original Sub-9?

sprint395

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    If you have the money; The Storm is the best thing on the market. Especially if you are a lefty like me. Plus it takes the handgun mags.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    If you have the money; The Storm is the best thing on the market. Especially if you are a lefty like me. Plus it takes the handgun mags.

Just Right carbine is configurable for both right or left handed, and uses glock mags, plus it comes with a threaded free floated barrell, and quad rail and you can also buy conversion kits for it.

Think the JRC trumps the Storm on all of that and price also.

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    The real problem seems to be in finding a used Beretta or Just Right Carbine in 9mm on the used market. Them and the Camp 9 do not come up often. If people like them they do not get rid of them!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    100 Rounder

pop_wm_1546658.jpg

50 Rounder

pop_wm_1546652.jpg

And Ambidextrous.
    Any Questions?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    The "Ban" ended 8 years ago. I never saw Calico stop selling anything. Just a limitation for some states just like all the other gun companies.

I've heard every reason why people don't like them - too ugly, too heavy with full mag, too hard to load the mags, too cumbersome, on and on.
    Obviously they don't own one and have never handled or trained with one.

Sounds like the Bullpup haters argument. Oh well, I've got mine. :p

My family has had several of these through the years and they're still going strong even after being abused very hard for over 20 years. I can't remember the last time I had to replace anything on them. Maybe an ejector 10 years ago? :dunno:

The guns and parts are plenty and all the accessories including the 100 rounders.

The SBR version is out there and
    with the correct license, the full-auto version is outstanding. :ar15:
    images-3.jpg

UZI is defiantly a top pick for the price, being versatile, dependable and having available parts also.

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    Just picked up a Hi Point 995 on a trade. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet. It has overwhelmingly good reviews online though. We'll see if it earns a spot in the arsenal or will be sold/ traded shortly.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    The High Point Carbine (yeah its a high point and ugly as hell) actually seems to get excellent reviews for what it is.

For the price... why not? Throw on the Beretta clone stock and you should be good to go. I see them on sale from time to time for less than $300 NIB

http://www.gunblast.com/HiPoint-9mmCarbine.htm

Last edited:

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Suomi M31 is a good choice. 70 round drums for $25, 32 round stick mags for $15, designed to be used even with no extractor, reliable as all get out, no aftermarket crap, and about 12 pounds. Glorious Finnish engineering.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    lone wolf makes a lower that takes glock 9mm magazines and they also make an upper to put together for just under 1000. They seem well put together and the one ive handled fired beautifully..

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    lone wolf makes a lower that takes glock 9mm magazines and they also make an upper to put together for just under 1000. They seem well put together and the one ive handled fired beautifully..

And for just a tad over a $1000.00 you can...

Buy a Just Right Carbine

Add a .40 caliber conversion
    Add a .45 caliber conversion

And it uses Glock mags, which is more affordable?:D

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I have a question about ammo selection for a 9mm defensive carbine. I have heard that traditional HPs for pistols may not work well in a carbine because if the increased velocity. Is there truth to this, and if so, does anyone make HPs that work well in a carbine?

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have a question about ammo selection for a 9mm defensive carbine. I have heard that traditional HPs for pistols may not work well in a carbine because if the increased velocity. Is there truth to this, and if so, does anyone make HPs that work well in a carbine?

When I had my Hi-Point 995 I feed Corbon 115gr JHP +P's through it with no problem, and My Just Right is rated for +P's and it ate up the same ammo with no problem.

It sits with a full mag of the above ammo right beside it in case of emergencies.:ar15:

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    When I had my Hi-Point 995 I feed Corbon 115gr JHP +P's through it with no problem, and My Just Right is rated for +P's and it ate up the same ammo with no problem.

It sits with a full mag of the above ammo right beside it in case of emergencies.:ar15:
    Thank you for the response, but I should have been a bit more specific.
    1. In my last post HP = Hollow Point, not Hi-Point... sorry.
    2. What I have heard is that the defensive pistol caliber HPs are designed for handgun velocities and when used in a carbine they tend to break apart on impact and not have enough penetration due to fragmentation. I have no idea how true this is, but I can see some validity here. I realize that when there is some validity, people can make claims that are completely false but can pass them off as truth, hence why I am asking. Has anyone done any testing of this, or does anyone have any data to show that HP's can be used in a defensive carbine and be effective?

I really like the idea of a 9mm carbine, that's why I'm curious about this.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I want to get the Beretta Storm mostly because it's one of the best looking 9mm carbines out there in my opinion.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Thank you for the response, but I should have been a bit more specific.
    1. In my last post HP = Hollow Point, not Hi-Point... sorry.
    2. What I have heard is that the defensive pistol caliber HPs are designed for handgun velocities and when used in a carbine they tend to break apart on impact and not have enough penetration due to fragmentation. I have no idea how true this is, but I can see some validity here. I realize that when there is some validity, people can make claims that are completely false but can pass them off as truth, hence why I am asking. Has anyone done any testing of this, or does anyone have any data to show that HP's can be used in a defensive carbine and be effective?

I really like the idea of a 9mm carbine, that's why I'm curious about this.

BravoMike,

You definitely glossed over the fact that I stated that I have used JHP's (Jacketed Hollow Points:D) in both my old Hi-Point 995 and JRC.

Here's a good page that shows FPS comparisons from 2 inch barrels to 18 inch barrels with different ammo.

A CorBon 115gr +p round shot out of a 16 inch barrel only gains 209 fps over a 4 inch barrel.

There will be no problem with shallow penetration, if anything in my opinion if there was a chance of it fragmenting after penetration, it would create a much more damaging would cavity.

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Calibers/Cartridges

Top Bottom