• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    I went through the whole suspended license deal a while back. The day I found out my license was suspended it had been suspended for 4 months. Thankfully I knew the ISP officer so he only gave me a ticket for driving while suspended and let my wife drive us home.
    So I do some researching online, had to pay to look at my driving record. Reason for suspension was the financial responsibilty thing. Long story short a YEAR later the suspension is lifted. Several phone calls to the BMV and my insurance company to even figure out why it was suspended as the BMV wasn't sure but wouldn't lift the suspension. My insurance company had on record file of sending the information to the BMV but BMV "did not" recieve it.
    I got no letter from the BMV stateing that my license was about to be or was suspended.
    The ticket was dropped after I finally got it all cleared with the BMV. Such a headache, I think they went a little overboard with that law.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    If you are in a accident don't you personally have to send into the state to prove you have insurance. Just showing a responding officer that you have it doesn't work. That might be why your license was suspended?

This. Mine was suspended last month for the very same reason. I thought showing proof of insurance at the accident scene meant you were good to go.

You aren't. My insurance company had to fax a form to the BMV to get my license back.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    So, how an officer responds is completely dependent on the attitude of the person with whom contact is made? And the officer has absolutely no responsibility for his own behavior whatsoever because it is all determined by the attitude of the other person? Gotcha.

My son will be glad to know he doesn't have to control his behavior anymore and can blame it on his little brother.
    Well, you know it really is the little brothers fault every time don't you:):

Last edited:

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    The suspension after accident thing is based on the state law requiring financial responsibilty , and is a perfect example of guilty until proven innocent. I did get a letter and was able to get mine reversed by email within a couple days. The letter came only after the suspension was in force however.
    The cop not knowing how to safe any weapon but his own duty gun I can well believe. Watch an epiode of "COPS" sometime and see this in abundance. At least the OP had a mag fed weapon, a single action revolver would have been a real crisis!
    Putting a firearm within reach of a child was simply brain dead, this individual is in need of some remedial training at the least or perhaps a suspension or even termination. I think I'd take this down to the EPD HQ and explain it to as high an echelon as I could access.
    As far as license status ... after my encounter with BMV I began keeping an eye on my status here..
    http://www.in.gov/bmv/

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The suspension after accident thing is based on the state law requiring financial responsibilty , and is a perfect example of guilty until proven innocent. I did get a letter and was able to get mine reversed by email within a couple days. The letter came only after the suspension was in force however.
    The cop not knowing how to safe any weapon but his own duty gun I can well believe. Watch an epiode of "COPS" sometime and see this in abundance. At least the OP had a mag fed weapon, a single action revolver would have been a real crisis!
    Putting a firearm within reach of a child was simply brain dead, this individual is in need of some remedial training at the least or perhaps a suspension or even termination. I think I'd take this down to the EPD HQ and explain it to as high an echelon as I could access.
    As far as license status ... after my encounter with BMV I began keeping an eye on my status here..
    http://www.in.gov/bmv/

slightly overboard.... slightly

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    So an hour ago I am driving to the store with my wife and son Colt and I get pulled over. I have absolutely NO idea why. The cop , D. Smith, informs me that my license is suspended, also a shock. He asks for my license which I provide and he also asks my wife is she has her ID on her. I quickly interrupted and told her she did not have to show him squat. Then he squeeks out "please keep your hand away from your hip", as I was openly carrying my stainless Kimber Ultra Carry. I said fine no problem and I thought that it would end there. He requested insurance and registration which I gave him. Then he told me to step out of the vehicle! Oh this isn't going very well I thought.

He told me to face the back of my Explorer and he grabs my pistol! He proceeds to wave it around trying to unload a cocked 1911 which he is obviously incapable of adequetly doing. I told him it was probably safer if it was left in the holster rather than being waved around. I also asked him to pick up the round he ejected onto the pavement. Then he asked if I had any other weapons, I told him my knife, which he took and then frisked me! Good grief!!!!! There were a total of 3 cops in 2 cars to pull me over and go through all of this.

At the end of the stop, he was going to put my gun in the back seat WITH MY BABY. I told him not to and so he gave me the gun and put the ammo in the back BUT DID NOT RETURN MY KNIFE. He also cited me with invalid registration because it wasn't signed in ink and that I took a wide turn onto Vann and crossed the middle which is absolute bunk. I am soooooo friggin sick of these jerks pullin over everybody they can find just because its a holiday, there were 2 other cars pulled over within 1 block of me!

I just looked up why I had a suspended Lic and it was a clerical error by- you guessed it, the EPD! I was in a wreck a few months back and apparently it was written down that I didn't have insurance! TOTAL HOGWASH!!!!!!:xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:

I see a couple of problems with the original post. First off I have done hundreds of crash reports and I can't think of any "clerical error" a officer can make that would get a person suspended. With a crash report the information is entered and it is the responsibility of the driver to notify their insurance company of the crash. It doesn't matter who is at fault.

As for the disarming the driver, if he was driving while suspended with a prior I would also disarm them. DWS/prior is a jailable offense. Anyone that might be going to jail even with a permit is going to be disarmed. I would think that would be common sense.

I can follow any vehicle,run the plate and get the registered owner/owners driving record. If one of the registered owners is a white male 35 years old and the person driving is a white male that looks to be about that age, that is PC for a valid stop.

As for telling the wife that she didn't have to show her DL, like others have said no big deal. I would order a tow truck and you could walk home. Letting a person take control of a MV without verifying their license status ain't gonna happen. Mainly due to liability concerns. If there were not properly licensed and were allowed to drive away and then caused a crash, that could be a tort claim problem.

With all the above aside I will be the first to admit that the IBMV is one messed up organization. They do in fact show people suspended when they are not or should not be. They are well known for their poor record keeping. My wife has been suspended twice for two accidents (Car deer crashes) Both time the IBMV claimed they had not received the insurance verification form. Luckily my agent is so familiar with the IBMV screw ups that he keeps all the fax information. This allowed us to prove that the IBMV was in fact given the required documentation within the proper time constraints. Both times she was re instated with no fees and no hassle.

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Used to say Frankenstein never scared me, but marsupials do, cause they're fast

You should go back to that, every time Bob & Tom plays Kevin Pollak's impersonation of Christopher Walken I get a serious chuckle.

Sorry for the thread jack, back to out original discussion.

One of the reasons behind the state removing the $$$'s involved for checking your DL record and status was because of the enormous amount of record keeping problems that have been causes by the IBMV.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    The one thing that j706 touched on if I can explain a little more. All of our accident forme are computer generated and then sent to the state. It will not allow us to leave a block empty. It is reviewed by a supervisor and then sent back if there is a problem. The error has to be at the state level or else the insurance agent. I am not saying our system is perfect but odds are it fell through the crack at the state.

We paid out the behind for the accident module which the state requires and a yearly fee to the company who runs it.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    sounds like that could have gone much worse for you. im sure it was an unpleasent experience but come on man..

im the first one to get upset when i hear about cops oversteping their bounds but this one sounds like they where just doing their job and going off the information they had. even though it was a "clerical error" in the cops eyes you were breaking the law by driving. :twocents:
    I hope that was supposed to be in purple. Totally rediculous on the cops part.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I see a couple of problems with the original post. First off I have done hundreds of crash reports and I can't think of any "clerical error" a officer can make that would get a person suspended. With a crash report the information is entered and it is the responsibility of the driver to notify their insurance company of the crash. It doesn't matter who is at fault.

As for the disarming the driver, if he was driving while suspended with a prior I would also disarm them. DWS/prior is a jailable offense. Anyone that might be going to jail even with a permit is going to be disarmed. I would think that would be common sense.

I can follow any vehicle,run the plate and get the registered owner/owners driving record. If one of the registered owners is a white male 35 years old and the person driving is a white male that looks to be about that age, that is PC for a valid stop.

As for telling the wife that she didn't have to show her DL, like others have said no big deal. I would order a tow truck and you could walk home. Letting a person take control of a MV without verifying their license status ain't gonna happen. Mainly due to liability concerns. If there were not properly licensed and were allowed to drive away and then caused a crash, that could be a tort claim problem.

With all the above aside I will be the first to admit that the IBMV is one messed up organization. They do in fact show people suspended when they are not or should not be. They are well known for their poor record keeping. My wife has been suspended twice for two accidents (Car deer crashes) Both time the IBMV claimed they had not received the insurance verification form. Luckily my agent is so familiar with the IBMV screw ups that he keeps all the fax information. This allowed us to prove that the IBMV was in fact given the required documentation within the proper time constraints. Both times she was re instated with no fees and no hassle.
    PC to pull someone over for using my vehicle with permission??? Sounds like the work of the JBT to me. If you are looking that hard for a reason to pull someone over, why don't you go fight some real crime.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    PC to pull someone over for using my vehicle with permission??? Sounds like the work of the JBT to me. If you are looking that hard for a reason to pull someone over, why don't you go fight some real crime.
    Let's see..........
    How many time does an Officer hear that lame statement in his/her career.
    A couple thousand!!! :rolleyes:

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Well that's what they are paid to do. So go do it. Trailing people and waiting for them to slip up or pulling someone over for no good reason is b.s. and should not be tolerated. They are paid to do a job.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Well that's what they are paid to do. So go do it. Trailing people and waiting for them to slip up or pulling someone over for no good reason is b.s. and should not be tolerated. They are paid to do a job.

How many times do we see people come out of drug houses or purchase precussors for meth making. While it might not seem like the best police tactics, we've locked up a lot of meth makers for non-turn signal use. I know what you are thinking, waste of time, but we have a ton of labs here. While he only had a suspended license, it is police work. Now knowing that he is not a threat to society because of his suspended license, it probably will save him a ton of money had he had to go to jail and re-instatement fees. Seeing if she had a license to drive the car home is perfectly legal.

Top Bottom