• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    In popular culture

Since the release of the film, the name Keyser Söze has gained two popular uses in Western culture: the first is as a description of a legend, usually of underworld crime, which is a result of the character's Satanic presence in The Usual Suspects. One such reference can be found in the video game Max Payne, where the titular character refers to Rico Muerte as "a regular Keyser Söze."[6]

The second use of the name in popular culture is a shorthand reference to being fooled, by the actual villain, into believing in a villain who does not exist. This use of the name is owed to the film's twist ending. One such reference can be found in "The Puppet Show," an episode of the hit television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer: upon discovering the disappearance of a possessed dummy that had convinced the heroes it was on their side, Xander Harris (Nicholas Brendon) asks, "Does anyone else feel like they've been Keyser Sözed?"[7]

In his 1999 review of Fight Club, film critic Roger Ebert commented, "A lot of recent films seem unsatisfied unless they can add final scenes that redefine the reality of everything that has gone before; call it the Keyser Söze syndrome."[8]

In season 2, episode 6 of the T.V. series Warehouse 13, Pete (Eddie McClintock) refers to an apparent renegade regent as "...bad. Like, Keyser Söze bad." [9]

In season 6, episode 14 of the TV series House, M.D., Wilson tells House that a patient, who has never seen or communicated with House, writes about him in her blog. Wilson then refers to him as the Wizard of Oz, an unseen presence, to which House replies, "She couldn't have gone with Keyser Soze?"

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    In popular culture

Since the release of the film, the name Keyser Söze has gained two popular uses in Western culture: the first is as a description of a legend, usually of underworld crime, which is a result of the character's Satanic presence in The Usual Suspects. One such reference can be found in the video game Max Payne, where the titular character refers to Rico Muerte as "a regular Keyser Söze."[6]

The second use of the name in popular culture is a shorthand reference to being fooled, by the actual villain, into believing in a villain who does not exist. This use of the name is owed to the film's twist ending. One such reference can be found in "The Puppet Show," an episode of the hit television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer: upon discovering the disappearance of a possessed dummy that had convinced the heroes it was on their side, Xander Harris (Nicholas Brendon) asks, "Does anyone else feel like they've been Keyser Sözed?"[7]

In his 1999 review of Fight Club, film critic Roger Ebert commented, "A lot of recent films seem unsatisfied unless they can add final scenes that redefine the reality of everything that has gone before; call it the Keyser Söze syndrome."[8]

In season 2, episode 6 of the T.V. series Warehouse 13, Pete (Eddie McClintock) refers to an apparent renegade regent as "...bad. Like, Keyser Söze bad." [9]

In season 6, episode 14 of the TV series House, M.D., Wilson tells House that a patient, who has never seen or communicated with House, writes about him in her blog. Wilson then refers to him as the Wizard of Oz, an unseen presence, to which House replies, "She couldn't have gone with Keyser Soze?"

Nice use of Wikipedia ed....Like I said its a great movie.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Or a pretty awesome reference? Its a damn good movie. I can't use it because I am a LEO? All of the awesome dirty harry names were already in use.

Literary references at least need to be relevant... Sheesh.

You chose the name of a grimy dirty criminal...

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Screen name meanings deserve their own thread.

There have been a dozen already.

Mine doesn't mean anything that I'm aware of. ;)

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Dude you have never even seen the movie. Keyser Soze does not exist. If he did he was not a "dirty grimy criminal"

Maybe you need to watch the movie again, Kevin Spacey is Keyser Soze, and he is a killer and a criminal as well as a con man

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    No I haven't seem the movie, but I have read a book. Which I'm sure was made after the movie... Also Söze is a reference to a criminal in many other literary and theatrical works.

Top Bottom