• ...and so much more!
  • Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    This what the MSM is saying...

Scientists need to conduct further research to determine what exactly caused this year's snow crab population crash. But the devastation comes three years after record heat hit the Bering Sea in 2019 — just as the crab population appeared to be booming.

Polar regions, including Alaska, are warming faster than the rest of the planet as human-driven greenhouse gas emissions trap more heat and raise global temperatures. Scientists suspect those rising water temperatures are driving the crash of some of the world's most popular crabs.

"We're along for the ride. It's hard to predict or pretend we could have influences on a stock that is subject to Mother Nature and climate change," Miranda Westphal, an area management biologist with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, told NBC. "They need time and space and favorable conditions to rebuild."
    So they basically have no idea :dunno:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So they basically have no idea :dunno:
    iu

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So if I go to Red Lobster and the waitress and her new trainee show up at the table and annouce, "We have crabs !! " I should be a little leary about asking either of them out after work ? :dunno:
    Not necessarily. But if they say, "We have crawdads!", run, do not walk, for the exit. :nailbite:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    So if I go to Red Lobster and the waitress and her new trainee show up at the table and annouce, "We have crabs !! " I should be a little leary about asking either of them out after work ? :dunno:
    You know why the east and west coast have Red Lobsters?

So you heartlanders think your getting good seafood.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Lobster is the better of the two, IMO, and while I like it I don't go out of my way for it. I prefer shrimp. Maybe if the ocean gets warm enough shrimp will migrate to the arctic and we can have cheaper shrimp...
    I do like shrimp, but my seafood menu generally consists of catfish or bluegill. If I’m feeling exotic I’ll get tilapia…

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    We would be friends. We have crab bombs were im from. Even better than a crab cake.

View attachment 230954
    That looks amazing.

I'm from the south so I grew up with lots of fried seafood, and boiled shrimp, etc. But my mom was born in Maryland (though she didn't live there a long time) so also had crab cakes and that kind of stuff.

Last edited:

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    Man, I miss pulling off the road when we lived in MD years ago and picking up a bushel of live crabs for $10. Steam them with old bay & spend a few hours enjoying with friends. That or even pick up a bushel ready to eat for $20 (mediums) to go at Fin & Claw. Agree IMO, Maryland Blue Crabs seem better than others I have had. (To be clear, not comparing them to snow or king crab which is great). Some of the best channel cats I have had were caught from the brackish water in Maryland. I think brackish water does make a difference. Dang, now I am hungry too... :)

Top Bottom