• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    I never would have thunk it. All my money was on Jose (literally). To give David his due, he was a lot more motivated than I thought. HUZZAH, DAVID, HUZZAH.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yeah, I didn't think David was going to win all the way up to when they showed Larry's tap out. He had some tough goes of it, especially at the start. I was really surprised how willing he was to go on when they were giving him the fake checkup.

Me being the arm chair expert /purple, I don't know why Jose's stabilizers were so close together on his boat. That was a bummer. He took a big risk, and missed the run. He was still making due though. I wonder how many more days it could have gone if he didn't tip his boat. The weather seemed better longer than last season.

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    Kudos to David, he hit a streak with his fishing those last couple episodes and that helped him a lot. 66 days! Poor Larry he was starting to lose it there at the end, and bummer for Jose tipping his kayak. It looked like he stood in the water until they rescued him. I would have gotten out as soon as I righted my self.

I enjoyed this season, and hopefully it will be back next year.

mcjon77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    I'll admit it. I cried a little when David saw his daughter and realized he won (it gets me a little misty thinking about it even now, almost a week later). They made me tear up again when he was back at home and his other daughter realized that he had actually won and didn't quit. It was beautiful.

The thing about David that made me start to put my money on him was his desperation to win for his kids. I kept getting the feeling that he had felt like a failure before for not being able to provide for his kids (I think he also might have been unemployed at the time). That can be a SERIOUS MOTIVATION to a man. No father wants to seen as a failure to his kids. Once he started learning how to fish, baring some freak accident, I was pretty sure that he wouldn't quit.

Honestly, I never placed much faith in Jose, even though I liked him. While Jose certainly was one of the most knowledgable there, he seemed to be putting all of his eggs in one basket with the boat idea. Even though his would be a great resource, when you are alone I think that it is too risky. There are too many points of failure with that boat that could lead to catastrophic trouble (which it did). IIRC, the whole reason why he built the boat was to catch the salmon run, but by the time he finished the boat the run was over.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The thing about David that made me start to put my money on him was his desperation to win for his kids. I kept getting the feeling that he had felt like a failure before for not being able to provide for his kids (I think he also might have been unemployed at the time). That can be a SERIOUS MOTIVATION to a man. No father wants to seen as a failure to his kids. Once he started learning how to fish, baring some freak accident, I was pretty sure that he wouldn't quit.
    I have the feeling he is going to be broke in a short period of time though. He kept saying he wasn't going to tell his kids NO any more. $500k... I assume before taxes... so what $300k net... that isn't that much much money. You can **** through that pretty quick. And that is before you even start paying for college which he says he is going to pay for... Best bet would be to pay your bills off and then live like you did before.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    He should put some aside to help the kids get some form of higher education and then buy rental properties with the rest. Work like he did before and enjoy the extra income. Make the prize money work for him.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Of the 10, I think Mike had the strongest survival and primitive living skills, even better than Jose. He stayed as long as he wanted to stay. If he wanted to stay longer, he'd still be out there.

And is Tracy a dude?

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    Of the 10, I think Mike had the strongest survival and primitive living skills, even better than Jose. He stayed as long as he wanted to stay. If he wanted to stay longer, he'd still be out there.

And is Tracy a dude?

My wife and I were talking about Tracy too, and we think she is. Maybe she's gender fluid?

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    You wouldn't catch me out on the water in one of those kayaks without a raging fire and warm (near the fire) clothing back on shore. I can't believe he made that mistake. He seems like an amazing survivalist. I'm very happy for David--he seemed like a generally nice person doing this for an excellent cause. Larry was extremely negative all the time and seemed to blame everyone else for his problems. I think it turned out great.

Top Bottom