• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Here's the issue, people are of course, buying up all the ammo being produced.
    Now you go to your local LGS and they have your firearm, and no ammo to put in it.
    Would you buy a new 2021 Vehicle with no gas to put I it?

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    Not good to hear that, but what I had read was more talking about how early on in the riot season departments were doing some stocking up. How widespread was not mentioned but it was thought a contributing factor. I could see departments in dem controlled cities not stocking ammo and needing it when the riots hit.

Police Departments normally order ammo when yearly budgets are approved. They are a line item on the budget and when it is approved the order is placed. Most government agencies are not going to have a "slush fund" to order ammo out of. The fiscal year starts at different times for everyone, and I can't imagine an emergency city council meeting to approve a large ammunition purchase because of anticipated riots. Mobile field force gear, emergency overtime funds for planning and manpower, etc., are much more likely than ammo in my opinion. To be honest, I don't think any city actually plans on needing additional ammo for anything outside of normal training.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Was at Bud's Gun Shop in Sevierville,TN on Friday and they had Remington Thunderbolt 500 bulk , and unless I was hallucinating the price was $79 per box. For that price I'll shoot my Beeman R7 air rifle or get a sling shot and chuck rocks.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    Was at Bud's Gun Shop in Sevierville,TN on Friday and they had Remington Thunderbolt 500 bulk , and unless I was hallucinating the price was $79 per box. For that price I'll shoot my Beeman R7 air rifle or get a sling shot and chuck rocks.

I was at Smokey Mountain Knife Works in Sevierville two weeks ago, and was surprised how much they had in stock. It was not on the wifes "to do" list for the day, so I only got about 30 minutes there, which is almost nothing. I didn't even attempt to check ammo prices, but I could spend a whole day in there!

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I was at Smokey Mountain Knife Works in Sevierville two weeks ago, and was surprised how much they had in stock. It was not on the wifes "to do" list for the day, so I only got about 30 minutes there, which is almost nothing. I didn't even attempt to check ammo prices, but I could spend a whole day in there!

We were at the Knife Works too , I saw a boat load of 17 HMR but no 22 rimfire but I was just walking through the gun area as Buds was next on the "to visit" list.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I went to Cabelas yesterday and they had some Federal AE M855 5.56 for 10.99 a box, not that good compared to pre-corona but it wasn't gouging either. Five box limit and the shelf emptied out as I was there. I grabbed four for my son and a box of Sig 9mm HP's for 15.99 that weren't a bad deal either.

FKIM01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2013
    United States
    I bought 4,000 9mm bullets a few years back thinking I'd mothball them for awhile until it made financial sense to reload them.

Looks like we are there.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Some indoor ranges in Indy are selling 9mm Luger 115 grain FMJ for $35-40 a box of 50. Ludicrous!

Ludicrous to us...we know better.
    Not ludicrous to the shop owners that have slim margins under normal circumstances AND may be looking at super long back-order status on inbound ammo.

Remember, it is only worth what someone else is willing to pay!

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Bought a Ruger PC Carbine last weekend and the shop said they could sell me one box of 9mm for $30. I passed. I am back to reloading 9mm again but even bullets are scarce.

Top Bottom