• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Poor guy. The man was a licensed to carry a firearm, informed the officer he was carrying, and went for his wallet like the officer asked. Officer got scared and shot him.

This. This man was a law abiding citizen (unless some other crazy information comes out) and a concealed carry license holder. In other words, one of us.

It appears that he was gunned down by a jumpy cop while he was complying with the cop's instructions (which I'm sure we'll find were contradictory, as I've seen happen multiple times in various videos of interactions that have gone wrong, ie "Don't move... Keep your hands where I can see them... Give me your ID"). Given what's been going on, it's really hard not to associate what happened with the fact that the victim happened to be black.

I want to repeat that this guy this guy was one of us. If this could happen to him, then it could happen to any one of us.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    THere is a farily large community from some SE Asian group thereabouts. I misremember what exactly. Maybe Laotian? I doubt most of us could identify one from another, so Asian is probably a better term than Chinese. Unless hte officer was a certian Britisher from the 1800's named Gordon...

[video=youtube;d_CaZ4EAexQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_CaZ4EAexQ[/video]

Oh, and is it too late to say, "in before someone says, 'this is why you never inform'"?

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    We also shouldn't forget that there was a 4 year old child in the car that the officer decided to fire into.

Not only did he kill the driver, but he easily could have killed or injured the passenger next to him (the girlfriend) and the child in the back (her daughter).

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    This. This man was a law abiding citizen (unless some other crazy information comes out) and a concealed carry license holder. In other words, one of us.

It appears that he was gunned down by a jumpy cop while he was complying with the cop's instructions (which I'm sure we'll find were contradictory, as I've seen happen multiple times in various videos of interactions that have gone wrong, ie "Don't move... Keep your hands where I can see them... Give me your ID"). Given what's been going on, it's really hard not to associate what happened with the fact that the victim happened to be black.

I want to repeat that this guy this guy was one of us. If this could happen to him, then it could happen to any one of us.

Where did this information come from?

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Where did this information come from?

Which? The information on him being a law abiding citizen? That's reported in quite a few of the articles (I've seen some news articles talk about misdemeanors, but if you find one that actually says what they were, you find out it was driving without insurance and then later, driving on a suspended license... Al Capone he was not). That he was a concealed carry permit holder? Also reported in multiple articles?

The part about being shot while complying with the officers instructions? That came from the girlfriend, in her video, taken literally right after the shooting. Unless, in the midst of shock of seeing her boyfriend shot 4 times right in front of her and her child, she had the presence of mind to start a false narrative (which I find unlikely), we have the evidence right there. You can also hear the panic in the officers voice in the video, which would make sense if he realizes he made a mistake.

Family: Man Dead After Officer-Involved Shooting In Twin Cities « WCCO | CBS Minnesota

Officer: Ma’am, keep your hands where they are.
    Reynolds: I am sir, no worries.
    Officer: [Yells expletive.]
    Reynolds: He just got his arm shot off. We got pulled over on Larpenteur.
    Officer: I told him not to reach for it! I told him to get his head up!
    Reynolds: He had, you told him to get his ID, sir, his driver’s license. Please don’t tell me he’s dead.
    Officer: [Expletive.]
    Reynolds: Please don’t tell me my boyfriend just went like that.
    Officer: Keep your hands where they are.
    Reynolds: Yes I will, sir. I will keep my hands where they are. Please don’t tell me that he’s gone. Please don’t tell me that he’s gone. Please officer, don’t tell me that you just did this to him. You shot four bullets into him, sir. He was just getting his license and registration, sir.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    We also shouldn't forget that there was a 4 year old child in the car that the officer decided to fire into.

Not only did he kill the driver, but he easily could have killed or injured the passenger next to him (the girlfriend) and the child in the back (her daughter).

I think the LEO shot the passenger, not the driver. Could be wrong though.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Would that matter if the guy had been reaching for his gun?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Which? The information on him being a law abiding citizen? That's reported in quite a few of the articles (I've seen some news articles talk about misdemeanors, but if you find one that actually says what they were, you find out it was driving without insurance and then later, driving on a suspended license... Al Capone he was not). That he was a concealed carry permit holder? Also reported in multiple articles?

The part about being shot while complying with the officers instructions? That came from the girlfriend, in her video, taken literally right after the shooting. Unless, in the midst of shock of seeing her boyfriend shot 4 times right in front of her and her child, she had the presence of mind to start a false narrative (which I find unlikely), we have the evidence right there. You can also hear the panic in the officers voice in the video, which would make sense if he realizes he made a mistake.

Family: Man Dead After Officer-Involved Shooting In Twin Cities « WCCO | CBS Minnesota

Officer: Ma’am, keep your hands where they are.
    Reynolds: I am sir, no worries.
    Officer: [Yells expletive.]
    Reynolds: He just got his arm shot off. We got pulled over on Larpenteur.
    Officer: I told him not to reach for it! I told him to get his head up!
    Reynolds: He had, you told him to get his ID, sir, his driver’s license. Please don’t tell me he’s dead.
    Officer: [Expletive.]
    Reynolds: Please don’t tell me my boyfriend just went like that.
    Officer: Keep your hands where they are.
    Reynolds: Yes I will, sir. I will keep my hands where they are. Please don’t tell me that he’s gone. Please don’t tell me that he’s gone. Please officer, don’t tell me that you just did this to him. You shot four bullets into him, sir. He was just getting his license and registration, sir.
    Right now we do not KNOW what happened. While it appears that this is the story, all we have right now is her word. Until more evidence is brought forward, all anyone is doing is doing is jumping to conclusions.

Just like, "Hands up, don't shoot" in Ferguson.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'l go back an d look at the video again at some point.

Whoa. There's something funky happening to the internet, or news sources. I just googled images of the dude, and there are several hits that look like he's in the passenger seat.

Example:
    article-minnesota-5-0706.jpg

But, I watched the vid this morning and it appears to have been shot from the passenger seat, and dude was in the driving seat. Can't watch the video now, but not sure what's going on.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Based on the video..... of someone biased.....

What if, he was reaching back and said he had a gun and the officer said "don't move". Then they guy brought his hands up quickly.... Very small differences make a huge difference to reality.

Oh, I like nearly the end of video "weez dooin nutin wrong, we had some weed in the car"

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    So for those among you who may know, is there an option to ask an officer to grab your license and registration if you feel uncomfortable with the situation and would rather not risk being shot?

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Because the front facing camera on iPhones reverse the image by default (who the f#@& knows why that was a good idea). Drives me crazy when I see pictures with the image reversed......

Top Bottom