• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I am not against this vaccine or any others.

It’s just silly and weird to act like the guy in the OP story was shocked and surprised to get chicken pox when he clearly both expected it and probably planned to all along.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Its pretty funny that everyone i know had never even heard of shingles until all the cdc commercials started running. I know one person, out of all my immediate and extended family as well as friends, none of us whom were vaccinated, that have gotten shingles. And its ironic, he got the shingles almost 3 months after getting the shingles vaccination. You just keep on drinking that :koolaid:

Can't say much for the education of the people you know...
    Shingles, rickets, scurvy, goiters... All common before modern medicine developed vaccines & figured out causes.
    Along with measles, mumps, rubella, polio, small pox...

So anti-vaxers, what's the upside of polio or small pox?
    (Other than natural selection of anti-vaxers)

One thing you (closet) anti-vaxers get dead wrong,
    You have to have chicken pox to get shingles, the vaccinated people DON'T get shingles.

But I guess if you never heard of it you won't get it, or so the science deniers and anti-vaxers say...
    Those tin foil hats protect you from more than alien mind control rays! ;)

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Vaccinated people don't get shingles?
    You might want to tell the researchers that.
    The ones that said data shows vaccinated people are HALF as likely.

HALF.
    Not NONE.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Shingles, rickets, scurvy, goiters... All common before modern medicine developed vaccines & figured out causes.

You have to have chicken pox to get shingles, the vaccinated people DON'T get shingles.

But I guess if you never heard of it you won't get it, or so the science deniers and anti-vaxers say...

Yes they can.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

And once again you show your true education, while trying to call out people you dont agree with. You spew nothing but ignorance and it shows in just about every damn thread you join in on.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Vaccinated people don't get shingles?
    You might want to tell the researchers that.
    The ones that said data shows vaccinated people are HALF as likely.

HALF.
    Not NONE.

What researchers are you referring to? From everything that I have read, you CANNOT get shingles unless you have had the Chicken Pox. So, if you are vaccinated against the Chicken Pox & never have it, you won't get shingles. Maybe you are referring to the Shingles vaccine for those unfortunate enough to have already had Chicken Pox, because the Shingles vaccine is not 100% effective.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    What researchers are you referring to? From everything that I have read, you CANNOT get shingles unless you have had the Chicken Pox. So, if you are vaccinated against the Chicken Pox & never have it, you won't get shingles. Maybe you are referring to the Shingles vaccine for those unfortunate enough to have already had Chicken Pox, because the Shingles vaccine is not 100% effective.

It's not just chicken pox, since we vaccinate against small pox, you don't get shingles from that anymore, since we vaccinate livestock against cow pox, humans don't get that either, which can cause shingles.
    These are all very closely related, so there is some immunity overlap...

For the record, the reason Europeans used to survive small pox epidemics was cow pox, you contracted cow pox, which doesn't usually kill you, it gave you some immunity to small pox...
    Native Americans didn't have any immunity, and died in droves.

People in America only know about small pox in relationship to terrorism,
    They don't know about cow pox at all,
    And obviously Americans don't understand you must have the LIVE chicken pox virus STILL ACTIVE in the body to get that version of shingles.
    The vaccine is NOT an active virus, and doesn't cause shingles....

It's science deniers, rumor instead of fact is why we have science deniers in the first place...

Its a shot that activates the immune system to wipe out the last of the ACTIVE, fully active, full strength virus.
    That's so when your immune system declines, the virus doesn't fester and eat through your skin in big, painful, burns like hot coals patches, weeping fluid that tries to infect everyone & everything around you...
    It's particularly dangerous to small babies (that haven't been vaccinated), when you infect pregnant women, it can cause still birth & birth defects, and it can very well kill anyone with a compromised immune system, like other older folks since (age compromised the immune system).

When my dad got shingles as a result of cancer treatment, I researched it, went and got a booster (which my doctor said I 'Probably' didn't need), and I wouldn't let his caregivers in the house until they could verify they had chicken pox shots, mostly because his primary nurse was pregnant.
    I wasn't taking ANY chances with HER child... And once I explained the situation, she thanked me and left skid marks getting out of there.

It takes 5 minutes to read the pamphlet the doctor gave me when they identified shingles on dad, it took a couple hours on the internet to get through all the anti-vaxers & science denier crap on the internet and get to actual information on chicken pox/shingles, and I just took the precautions the hospital did when shingles were diagnosed, and what the recommended precautions were for shingles in home care...
    No one got chicken pox, AIN'T ACTUAL SCIENCE GRAND!

Again, I have to quote Forrest Gump,
    "Stupid Is As Stupid Does..."

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

That wasn't his claim.
    His claim was that if you get the vaccine, you CAN NOT get shingles.
    The study showed that people that got the vaccine, vs people that didn't, the vaccine helped. But it did NOT totally eliminate it.
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00007501
    This was a study of 38,000 participants.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Read the footnotes,
    Crippled live virus vs dead virus.
    You *Might* get shingles if you got the first of the live virus, but it would be greatly reduced.
    No issues with the current dead virus, which is also used for the shingles vaccine.

I don't much care what anti-vaxers have for arguments,
    The vaccine was $135 and I didn't get chicken pox while I was taking care of my dad while he was dying of cancer.
    My vaccine was free from the VA, my wife's vaccine cost $135, which her insurance paid for.

AND NOW...
    Neither one of us have to worry about passing chicken pox to newly born kids people insist you fawn over when they arrive.
    Worth it for nothing other than that reason alone...

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

I guess I need to make an appointment for my SRSG shot? (shingles,rickets,scurvy,goiter)

I'm pretty sure that the only vaccines I've ever gotten was tetanus, polio, and small pox (isn't that the one that left that dime-size scar on my shoulder?) and those were many years ago. I've been to the doctor twice in the last 25 or so years.

I've never had the flu vaccine, and to my knowledge, I haven't had the flu since I was like 16. I guess it's those strong Scandinavian genes.

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    If you disagree it’s cause you’re an uneducated idiot.

No.
    Uneducated means you are simply ignorant of the facts.
    Education kills ignorance.
    Ignorance of a particular subject doesn't mean you are an idiot or stupid, it simply means you never had cause to study the particular subject at hand in a conversation.

Stupid/idiotic is having decades of study by actual professionals at hand,
    And still willfully ignoring proper & correct information.

Case study at hand,
    REFUSING a chicken pox vaccination, then contracting chicken pox, with the very real possibility of shingles later on...
    Same with polio, same with any other vaccination because some random idiot on the internet posted false information and you CHOOSE to believe that over actual science.

Same with the measles epidemic right now...
    Science denying anti-vaxers are suffering the effects of something that should have been eradicated in this country due to herd immunity.
    Thanks a bunch for running the US backwards into a 3rd world country in respect to vaccines...

What's the next wave? Polio? Buy stock in iron lung makers...
    It takes a generation that doesn't know what an iron lung is to make a decision that stupid.

No one can change a 'Belief', you have to do that yourself...

------

I guess I need to make an appointment for my SRSG shot? (shingles,rickets,scurvy,goiter)
    I'm pretty sure that the only vaccines I've ever gotten was tetanus, polio, and small pox (isn't that the one that left that dime-size scar on my shoulder?) and those were many years ago. I've been to the doctor twice in the last 25 or so years.

I've never had the flu vaccine, and to my knowledge, I haven't had the flu since I was like 16. I guess it's those strong Scandinavian genes.

So, it *Hasn't* happened to you *Yet*, so it doesn't exist, or you are some how super human and won't ever contract disease?
    Good luck with that, I wish you the best.
    That's actual, I don't wish disease on anyone...

Realizing I'm just another human, and having seen my dad break out in shingles, I don't want to suffer that (providing my immune system gets compromised enough for it to happen).

And just to point out the science denier/ignorance of actual science,

Rickets, a lack of vitamin 'D',particularly in children.
    Sunlight, fortified milk, vitamin supplements in the food supply nearly eradicated rickets in the US, but it's making a comeback.

Goiters, most common cause is lack of iodine in the diet.
    Iodine supplements in salt (food additives) nearly stopped goiters in the US,
    But the conspiracy theories about iodine & fluoride a few years back have brought goiters back.

Scurvy is caused by a lack of vitamin C.
    Teeth falling out, bleeding gums, compromised immune system, opening of old wounds, etc.
    Lots of fun, and making a comeback among heavy drug users and people that consume only processed foods.

Shingles is a LIVE chicken pox virus in your system that reactivates when your immune system gets compromised.
    Current vaccines protect you against the active virus, preventing both chicken pox and shingles.
    *Most* chicken pox victims can be helped by the shingles vaccine, although it's not 100% effective.
    Getting the current dead virus vaccine keeps you from getting either.

You *CHOOSE* to 'Believe', and only YOU can change those beliefs.
    Until you accept actual science, no one can help you...
    The science deniers and anti-vaxers have gone into overdrive, doubling down on stupidity while measles & chicken pox are viruses and don't have 'Beliefs', they just do what they do...

Last edited:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    REFUSING a chicken pox vaccination, then contracting chicken pox, with the very real possibility of shingles later on...
    Same with polio, same with any other vaccination because some random idiot on the internet posted false information and you CHOOSE to believe that over actual science.

I'm not at all sure that "actual science" has enough data over a long enough period of time to determine that immunity gained from vaccines provides a better over-all outcome, for ALL of the infectious diseases for which a vaccine exists, over the long term for either the individual or for a population.

If I was asked if I was an Anti-vaxxer, I'd answer "Yes, and No."

Polio, Small Pox, and some others, definitely "Yes"

Influenza, Shingles, and some others, definitely (for me) "No"

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    No.
    Uneducated means you are simply ignorant of the facts.
    Education kills ignorance.
    Ignorance of a particular subject doesn't mean you are an idiot or stupid, it simply means you never had cause to study the particular subject at hand in a conversation.

Stupid/idiotic is having decades of study by actual professionals at hand,
    And still willfully ignoring proper & correct information.

Case study at hand,

Same with the measles epidemic right now...
    Science denying anti-vaxers are suffering the effects of something that should have been eradicated in this country due to herd immunity.
    Thanks a bunch for running the US backwards into a 3rd world country in respect to vaccines...

What's the next wave? Polio? Buy stock in iron lung makers...
    It takes a generation that doesn't know what an iron lung is to make a decision that stupid.

No one can change a 'Belief', you have to do that yourself...

Whats funny is you take what you call "actual" science and totally trust in it. Im guessing you probably believe "global warming" is real too.
    Ive seen first hand that my Aunt got the polio vaccine, then within a month become crippled to live out her days with the effects of Polio. Ive seen first hand someone get shingles who had just gotten the vaccination. Ive see first hand the effects of friends getting their children the Hpv vaccination and now are permanently in a wheel chair. I see every year several friends and family who get the flu shot, get the flu.
    Its not about making you immune or better, its about the pharmaceutical companies making money!

I for one will not just blindly listen to the cdc or .gov and trust them wholeheartedly, but i do not have a problem if you do. Thats your choice to make, not mine. But quit pushing your bs statements as fact, because they are not!

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I'm not at all sure that "actual science" has enough data over a long enough period of time to determine that immunity gained from vaccines provides a better over-all outcome, for ALL of the infectious diseases for which a vaccine exists, over the long term for either the individual or for a population.

If I was asked if I was an Anti-vaxxer, I'd answer "Yes, and No."

Polio, Small Pox, and some others, definitely "Yes"

Influenza, Shingles, and some others, definitely (for me) "No"

That's your *Belief* and has NOTHING to do with science.

Vaccinations started in 1796 with cow pox inoculations to prevent small pox.
    I'd say vaccinations have a solid, proven scientific track record, while internet tin foil hat conspiracy theories have a 15-20 year history and have been proven false time an time again by actual science, imperical/historical data, trial & error testing, double blind testing, etc (actual science).

Several lifetimes of compiled data vs some idiot in his mother's basement tapping on a keyboard trying to gather a following by scaring the crap out of people...

You all completely IGNORE the hormones & chemicals in the food supply, then loose your mud over autism, which manifests itself just about the time the infant starts eating 'Adult' food, and when the developing brain is most susceptible to hormones/chemicals.
    Absloutley ZERO studies on the combo of chemical cocktails in processed foods, but these idiots blame vaccines...
    And they ignore the spike in autism coinsides with the the use of SYNTHETIC chemicals in the latter part of the 1900s.

Then someone thinking instead of reacting will look for control groups.
    Kosher food observation and the Jews don't have the issues the general population does.
    Amish don't have the issues the general population does,
    But since that's actual science, it's dismissed outright.

Not that a control or study group of one is valid in any way (actual science),
    I *Mostly* eat home canned food, and I'm not the one that is condoning road rage, I'm not then one calling for machine guns & land mines at the boarder, I'm not then one calling for machine guns at 'ANTIFA' gatherings, I'm not the one calling for mass excutions of Muslims or genocide in Muslim countries...

Not that it proves a thing, it's an interesting anomaly if nothing else...
    When *I* am 'The voice of reason' you all are in REAL trouble! ;)

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Whats funny is you take what you call "actual" science and totally trust in it. Im guessing you probably believe "global warming" is real too.

Ive seen first hand that my Aunt got the polio vaccine, then within a month become crippled to live out her days with the effects of Polio. Ive seen first hand someone get shingles who had just gotten the vaccination. Ive see first hand the effects of friends getting their children the Hpv vaccination and now are permanently in a wheel chair.

I see every year several friends and family who get the flu shot, get the flu.

Its not about making you immune or better, its about the pharmaceutical companies making money!

I for one will not just blindly listen to the cdc or .gov and trust them wholeheartedly, but i do not have a problem if you do. Thats your choice to make, not mine. But quit pushing your bs statements as fact, because they are not!

Way to pile on children... 4th grade school lot tactics...
    And way to go on trying to change the subject when you can't keep up with the subject at hand.

As for your first paragraph, yes, global warming is very real, and the current round is most certainly man made, before you ask that question.
    The biosphere spent 4.5 billion years sequestering carbon so the current oxygen rich, low gasified carbon environment that humans can survive in, and 8 billion humans are doing their level best to release that carbon back into the atmosphere.

Ice cores from the last 4 million years conclusively prove the 'Industrial Age' has released a specific kind of carbon only produced by combustion.
    The leaves of that carbon rise specifically with the population rise, and rise of the 'Industrial Age'.
    If you don't understand that, or choose to ignore it, that's YOUR CHOICE.
    It just makes you dead wrong...

As to second paragraph,
    Nope, I call BS.
    The odds of actually having three major vaccine failures in one family are astronomical, particular since the HPV vaccine is very new hand has no paralyzing side effects recorded...
    You would have to be 75+ years old...
    Best buy lottery tickets, you have a MUCH better chance of winning the lottery than to have 3 major vaccine failures in one family.

As for cost of common vaccines, somewhere between $20 and $140.
    You run out and get the 'Latest-Greatest' designer stuff, I have no idea.
    The VA keeps my vaccinations current, the wife spends between $0 and $10 on co-pay.

As for the last line,
    CDC, National Institute Of Health, every research University, every foreign country research, the World Heath Organization,
    Historical research from 1796, eradication of small pox, knocking polio back to double digit cases a year, etc is all lies,
    And your 'Source' for anti-vaxer propaganda has the 'Truth'...
    Sure. Right....

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Way to pile on children... 4th grade school lot tactics...
    And way to go on trying to change the subject when you can't keep up with the subject at hand.

As for your first paragraph, yes, global warming is very real, and the current round is most certainly man made, before you ask that question.
    The biosphere spent 4.5 billion years sequestering carbon so the current oxygen rich, low gasified carbon environment that humans can survive in, and 8 billion humans are doing their level best to release that carbon back into the atmosphere.

Ice cores from the last 4 million years conclusively prove the 'Industrial Age' has released a specific kind of carbon only produced by combustion.
    The leaves of that carbon rise specifically with the population rise, and rise of the 'Industrial Age'.
    If you don't understand that, or choose to ignore it, that's YOUR CHOICE.
    It just makes you dead wrong...

As to second paragraph,
    Nope, I call BS.
    The odds of actually having three major vaccine failures in one family are astronomical, particular since the HPV vaccine is very new hand has no paralyzing side effects recorded...
    You would have to be 75+ years old...
    Best buy lottery tickets, you have a MUCH better chance of winning the lottery than to have 3 major vaccine failures in one family.

As for cost of common vaccines, somewhere between $20 and $140.
    You run out and get the 'Latest-Greatest' designer stuff, I have no idea.
    The VA keeps my vaccinations current, the wife spends between $0 and $10 on co-pay.

As for the last line,
    CDC, National Institute Of Health, every research University, every foreign country research, the World Heath Organization,
    Historical research from 1796, eradication of small pox, knocking polio back to double digit cases a year, etc is all lies,
    And your 'Source' for anti-vaxer propaganda has the 'Truth'...
    Sure. Right....

what exactly would you call paralyzing side effects?

Daily Migraines, neurocardiogenic syncope (an autoimmune disease), fatigue, anxiety attacks to the point you're paralyzed? A lifetime of drugs to combat these things?

I would call that paralyzing, especially to a 16 year old that has suffered ALL of these and more since receiving the shots. She has lived with this for 13 years now. And if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't let her get the immunizations. That doesn't make me an antivaxer, it makes me an informed parent.
    But I blindly followed the Dr's word, I jumped on the bandwagon of this NEW vaccine that would protect her from cancer.

I had precancerous cells on my cervix at 24 years of age, I wanted to do all I could to prevent my daughters from having the same issue. Well, I have had no lasting side effects from my treatment and even went on to have another child. My child, played hell during her pregnancy because NONE of the drugs to help her were safe while pregnant and she has decided she is one and done, but her dreams were of a big family.

Because someone chooses to be informed, does not make them anti, it makes them informed. If in their research they decide to not vaccinate, I think that's their choice.

https://drkelley.info/2017/05/31/lead-developer-of-hpv-vaccines-comes-clean/

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    And again, BS by random anti-vaxer site...

---------

The HPV vaccine is generally safe with no increased risk of serious adverse effects.[SUP][29][/SUP] HPV vaccines are approved for use in over 100 countries, with more than 100 million doses distributed worldwide. Extensive clinical trial and post-marketing safety surveillance data indicate that both Gardasil and Cervarix are well tolerated and safe.[SUP][29][/SUP][SUP][47][/SUP] When comparing the HPV vaccine to a placebo (control) vaccine taken by women, there is no difference in the risk of severe adverse events.[SUP][29][/SUP]
    Gardasil is a 3-dose (injection) vaccine. As of 8 September 2013 there have been more than 57 million doses distributed in the United States, though it is unknown how many have been administered.[SUP][48][/SUP] There have been 22,000 Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) reports following the vaccination.[SUP][49][/SUP] Ninety-two percent were reports of events considered to be non-serious (e.g., fainting, pain and swelling at the injection site (arm), headache, nausea and fever), and nine percent were considered to be serious (death, permanent disability, life-threatening illness and hospitalization). However, VAERS reports include any reported effects whether coincidental or causal. In response to concerns regarding the rates of adverse events associated with the vaccine, the CDC stated: "When evaluating data from VAERS, it is important to note that for any reported event, no cause-and-effect relationship has been established. VAERS receives reports on all potential associations between vaccines and adverse events."[SUP][49][/SUP]
    As of 1 September 2009, there have been 44 U.S. reports of death in females after receiving the vaccine.[SUP][49][/SUP] None of the 27 confirmed deaths of women and girls who had taken the vaccine were linked to the vaccine.[SUP][49][/SUP] There is no evidence suggesting that Gardasil causes or raises the risk of Guillain–Barré syndrome. Additionally, there have been rare reports of blood clots forming in the heart, lungs, and legs.[SUP][49][/SUP] A 2015 review conducted by the European Medicines Agency's Pharmacovigilance Risk Assessment Committee concluded that evidence does not support the idea that HPV vaccination causes complex regional pain syndrome or postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome.[SUP][50][/SUP]
    As of 8 September 2013 the CDC continues to recommend Gardasil vaccination for the prevention of four types of HPV.[SUP][49][/SUP] Merck, the manufacturer of Gardasil, has committed to ongoing research assessing the vaccine's safety.[SUP][51][/SUP]
    According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the FDA, the rate of adverse side effects related to Gardasil immunization in the safety review was consistent with what has been seen in the safety studies carried out before the vaccine was approved and were similar to those seen with other vaccines. However, a higher proportion of syncope (fainting) was seen with Gardasil than is usually seen with other vaccines. The FDA and CDC have reminded health care providers that, to prevent falls and injuries, all vaccine recipients should remain seated or lying down and be closely observed for 15 minutes after vaccination.[SUP][34][/SUP] The HPV vaccination does not appear to reduce the willingness of women to undergo pap tests.[SUP][52][/SUP]

Top Bottom