• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I want to go to one just to see the sights.

Based on pics and video I've seen, there are a lot more things to see that you'd actually want to see now.

In 1980, it was 99% male (at least) and the concept of soap and water was foreign to most. There were also but a mere two genders then. And people were there mostly to play the games, shop for related merchandise, and maybe listen to a guest speaker or two. Now the costumes seem to be a huge thing (which is fun), but there's also a lot of socio-political nonsense that is out of place in my opinion.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

Same here. I'd like to go just to see the "Freak Show". I think it should be a good time.
    I went to a Hair Dresser's Convention in Chicago about 15 years ago with a girl I was dating at the time. Wow! That was a world of weird for sure. I honestly had a fantastic time there. Some of those multi colored hair gals in short dresses were a blast. We rode the train up there. I highly recommend that Party Train to the Windy.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Same here. I'd like to go just to see the "Freak Show". I think it should be a good time.
    I went to a Hair Dresser's Convention in Chicago about 15 years ago with a girl I was dating at the time. Wow! That was a world of weird for sure. I honestly had a fantastic time there. Some of those multi colored hair gals in short dresses were a blast. We rode the train up there. I highly recommend that Party Train to the Windy.

Were they actual, XX-havin' girls?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

My wife and I will be downtown for dinner and to take in the sights Saturday. If our son (22, engineering major and a gamer so both a geek and a nerd) is with us he can translate a lot of what we see. We may be with family with younger kids too, that could be a hoot. I know Star Trek, Star Wars, Mario, Luigi, that's about it.

I know Rhino raised the ANTIFA recruiters flag some time back. Photographic evidence will be posted if I can figure out how to to that.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I might've kept going if I still worked downtown with a private garage...

It's just too expensive. Which is ironic, since I mostly just want to go into the overpriced vendor hall.

My wife made a really nice Link costume last time we went... real sword, wooden shield and all.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I might've kept going if I still worked downtown with a private garage...

It's just too expensive. Which is ironic, since I mostly just want to go into the overpriced vendor hall.

My wife made a really nice Link costume last time we went... real sword, wooden shield and all.

??

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I had planned on going but I rolled a 12 which sucks because my constitution is only a 14 and my charisma is a measly 9. Turns out i came down with the plague and all my friends pretended they were busy that night. I need a new DM :xmad:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    From the Dragons or all the liberals?

... Not sure I understand where you're coming from with this stereotype.

What makes the attendees liberals? That they're a mix of men and women, aged 5 to 65, with a common interest of at least one or all of the following? (video games, comics, merch, tv, board games, tabletop RPG, anime, music, art...)

Widen your judgements! You may be surprised that conservatives also like normal things. :)

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

But if you went as Link Hogthrob (or another Muppet, or Link from the Mod Squad), I'd know the character. That doesn't happen often. I do better with old tractors and classic muscle cars.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well that does it, I'm not going. I'll just wait for the pics here :):

It's been a few years but I was working an overtime detail for the bar district downtown when GenCon was in town. I began smelling a sickly-sweet-fermented smell like you smell when you walk by a trash can full of beer and soda bottles and cans on a hot day. It kept getting worse and worse, and I moved away from the trash can I was standing by, but that only make it worse. Then I realized the can wasn't the problem.

A woman who resembled the Michelin Man but in a skirt was rolling around in her own copious pile of vomit. This presented a problem, as it was obvious she was unable to attend to herself but she was coated in vomit and I wasn't about to help her up. Enter nerd hero.

A man that I would describe as a zeppelin in a kilt came up to me and (speaking in what I think he thought was a Scottish accent) says something like: Hark, yon constable! I am a Scottish prince and this fair lass (which he said with a straight face, bless his heart) is with our traveling group! I, oh (normal voice for this line) this isn't a real sword, officer...(My response: That's fine, this is a real gun. Carry on.) I shall summon aid and assist the maiden to our inn!

She confirmed she knew them and they were ok to help her. I decided this was a dandy plan.

So another guy that would have put any passenger elevator over it's weight limit if either of the first two were present was "summoned" and they, in a Herculean display of strength, picked up the female vomit fountain, got under each of her arms and helped her down the street to their hotel. Errr, inn.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's been a few years but I was working an overtime detail for the bar district downtown when GenCon was in town. I began smelling a sickly-sweet-fermented smell like you smell when you walk by a trash can full of beer and soda bottles and cans on a hot day. It kept getting worse and worse, and I moved away from the trash can I was standing by, but that only make it worse. Then I realized the can wasn't the problem.

A woman who resembled the Michelin Man but in a skirt was rolling around in her own copious pile of vomit. This presented a problem, as it was obvious she was unable to attend to herself but she was coated in vomit and I wasn't about to help her up. Enter nerd hero.

A man that I would describe as a zeppelin in a kilt came up to me and (speaking in what I think he thought was a Scottish accent) says something like: Hark, yon constable! I am a Scottish prince and this fair lass (which he said with a straight face, bless his heart) is with our traveling group! I, oh (normal voice for this line) this isn't a real sword, officer...(My response: That's fine, this is a real gun. Carry on.) I shall summon aid and assist the maiden to our inn!

She confirmed she knew them and they were ok to help her. I decided this was a dandy plan.

So another guy that would have put any passenger elevator over it's weight limit if either of the first two were present was "summoned" and they, in a Herculean display of strength, picked up the female vomit fountain, got under each of her arms and helped her down the street to their hotel. Errr, inn.

Well, now I'm going to have cancel attending my high school reunion activities and get tickets for GenCon. That sounds . . . awesome.

Top Bottom