• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Meh. If your old-school 20-sided isn't almost completely round, it doesn't count.

Getting closer . . .

1980s_DandD_dice_photocredit_Ethan_Gilsdorf_wide.jpg

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It's been a few years but I was working an overtime detail for the bar district downtown when GenCon was in town. I began smelling a sickly-sweet-fermented smell like you smell when you walk by a trash can full of beer and soda bottles and cans on a hot day. It kept getting worse and worse, and I moved away from the trash can I was standing by, but that only make it worse. Then I realized the can wasn't the problem.

A woman who resembled the Michelin Man but in a skirt was rolling around in her own copious pile of vomit. This presented a problem, as it was obvious she was unable to attend to herself but she was coated in vomit and I wasn't about to help her up. Enter nerd hero.

A man that I would describe as a zeppelin in a kilt came up to me and (speaking in what I think he thought was a Scottish accent) says something like: Hark, yon constable! I am a Scottish prince and this fair lass (which he said with a straight face, bless his heart) is with our traveling group! I, oh (normal voice for this line) this isn't a real sword, officer...(My response: That's fine, this is a real gun. Carry on.) I shall summon aid and assist the maiden to our inn!

She confirmed she knew them and they were ok to help her. I decided this was a dandy plan.

So another guy that would have put any passenger elevator over it's weight limit if either of the first two were present was "summoned" and they, in a Herculean display of strength, picked up the female vomit fountain, got under each of her arms and helped her down the street to their hotel. Errr, inn.
    I want to laugh and throw up in my mouth at the same time. This is so weird LOL

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    One more GenCon vs LE story. I was called for a robbery of a person where a box of Magic cards were taken. For those who don't know, Magic is a collectible card game and some of the older cards are quite valuable, similar to rare baseball cards. Some cards are well north of $10k or $20k (yes, k) and a lot of the are worth a few hundred or thousand. The uniformed guy who took the report called me and it was clear he was at the end of his rope with nerds and had no idea what Magic cards actually were.

He tells me this basic narrative:
    I showed up and the kid at the door told me he had to put a green sticker on my gun. I asked him why and he said to show it was a prop and not a real gun. (Note this is an IMPD officer in full uniform). I told him that it was a real gun and he (expletive) had a panic attack and told me I couldn't go in. I told him I was there on a run and I didn't have time to lock his (expletive) (expletive) up and to get out of my way. It took me forever to get through the crowd and find the complainant. He was really worked up about these cards being taken and said they were worth over $15k. WTF kind of tricks do you do with magic cards that are that expensive? He's got to be full of (expletive).

*I then explain the difference between Magic and magic, and reference the baseball card analogy**

Ah, well (expletive) now I get why he's so worked up. So, get this, the suspects are masked and gloved but like characters....and there's (expletive) hundreds of people in that costume and this (expletive) thinks I'm going to stop and search everyone of them.

I don't remember what kind of characters they were, but it was a pretty popular get up that year. Man, I wish I could remember what they were dressed like. The story loses some of its punch without that. Star wars something, maybe? Dunno, but it was a masked character like Darth Vader or someone were the person behind the mask could be literally anyone.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm thinking that pretty much any police call to GenCon would yield a story of some interest afterward. Many of which you'd have to start, "You can't make this up . . ."

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    LOL wow. I remeber the nerds in school playing those magic cards when they first came out, or at least thats the first I had ever heard of them. Bill Clinton was still president lol.
    Now I wish I would have gotten them laid so I could have had their discarded magic cards to store and become rich and rule the world.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Cross-posting this pre-GenCon encounter since we're just talking about GenCon now.

YouTuber and GenCon attendee allegedly attacked outside downtown Indy bar

Edit: Apparently people have ID'd the alleged attacker as a "punch nazis" kind of guy that runs a game shop, and are looking for him at GenCon to alert police. Might have a new story here.
    What a *****. Grow some balls and fight back instead of going on the internet and crying. I almost spit diet Coke out of my mouth when he started talking about gencon royalty and then mumbled something else lol.
    Also the bar didnt want to call the cops just like no bar ever does because it goes against their liquor license. When I bounced, if you called the cops you got fired.
    People who expect the police and others to protect them are usualy the same ones who want to take away my right to defend myself. I have no sympathy. Yeah I hope they catch the guy who punched him because it's wrong what he did, but just watching that short video of "Jeremy" I almost could sympathize with someone who would want to punch him in the face :):

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    One more GenCon vs LE story. I was called for a robbery of a person where a box of Magic cards were taken. For those who don't know, Magic is a collectible card game and some of the older cards are quite valuable, similar to rare baseball cards. Some cards are well north of $10k or $20k (yes, k) and a lot of the are worth a few hundred or thousand. The uniformed guy who took the report called me and it was clear he was at the end of his rope with nerds and had no idea what Magic cards actually were.

He tells me this basic narrative:
    I showed up and the kid at the door told me he had to put a green sticker on my gun. I asked him why and he said to show it was a prop and not a real gun. (Note this is an IMPD officer in full uniform). I told him that it was a real gun and he (expletive) had a panic attack and told me I couldn't go in. I told him I was there on a run and I didn't have time to lock his (expletive) (expletive) up and to get out of my way. It took me forever to get through the crowd and find the complainant. He was really worked up about these cards being taken and said they were worth over $15k. WTF kind of tricks do you do with magic cards that are that expensive? He's got to be full of (expletive).

*I then explain the difference between Magic and magic, and reference the baseball card analogy**

Ah, well (expletive) now I get why he's so worked up. So, get this, the suspects are masked and gloved but like characters....and there's (expletive) hundreds of people in that costume and this (expletive) thinks I'm going to stop and search everyone of them.

I don't remember what kind of characters they were, but it was a pretty popular get up that year. Man, I wish I could remember what they were dressed like. The story loses some of its punch without that. Star wars something, maybe? Dunno, but it was a masked character like Darth Vader or someone were the person behind the mask could be literally anyone.

Of course.
    People think they are safe cause some moron "certified" it so.
    Someone that doesn't even know how to do his job.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    ... Not sure I understand where you're coming from with this stereotype.

What makes the attendees liberals? That they're a mix of men and women, aged 5 to 65, with a common interest of at least one or all of the following? (video games, comics, merch, tv, board games, tabletop RPG, anime, music, art...)

Widen your judgements! You may be surprised that conservatives also like normal things. :)

Yep, that's me. Stereotyping. :rolleyes:

1. Have you been to Indy? It smells AND it's FULL of liberals.

2. GenCon, Comic Con, Trekkie Con, Anime, Furry Con, Cosplayers, Wizard World, DragonCon, and about 100 more. MOST ALL Dress-Up, Costume and Character Roleplaying Workforce and Actors in general - are LIBERALS. My jobs on the West Coast were all about magic and make believe. Through all those years I did get to travel and work some shows in eastern states that were about the same. All I ever dealt with were liberals. They surrounded me. If you're saying that this one show in Indy is different than the rest of the US, then so be it. That's not what I experienced.

Now if you're talking backstage crews, set builders, pyros and anything technical directorish - that's where you'll find your conservatives. Why? I don't know. I don't make up the rules.

Oh, and liberals smell.... really bad. :faint:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

2. GenCon, Comic Con, Trekkie Con, Anime, Furry Con, Cosplayers, Wizard World, DragonCon, and about 100 more. MOST ALL Dress-Up, Costume and Character Roleplaying Workforce and Actors in general - are LIBERALS. My jobs on the West Coast were all about magic and make believe. Through all those years I did get to travel and work some shows in eastern states that were about the same. All I ever dealt with were liberals. They surrounded me. If you're saying that this one show in Indy is different than the rest of the US, then so be it. That's not what I experienced.

Now if you're talking backstage crews, set builders, pyros and anything technical directorish - that's where you'll find your conservatives. Why? I don't know. I don't make up the rules.

Huh. I am in Indy and know of hundreds of conservatives. Been here most all of my life and no the city does not smell. Terre Haute smells but not Indy.
    There might be some smelly sections here or there as in any large city but I have spent my life working in and around every area on many buildings and never was run off by the smell. Except my own when it is stupid hot and I sweat like a high school senior trying to read.

Like it or not Indy is not that bad. I have been in far worse.

I fear I just defended Indy.....:lmfao:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Huh. I am in Indy and know of hundreds of conservatives. Been here most all of my life and no the city does not smell. Terre Haute smells but not Indy.
    There might be some smelly sections here or there as in any large city but I have spent my life working in and around every area on many buildings and never was run off by the smell. Except my own when it is stupid hot and I sweat like a high school senior trying to read.

Like it or not Indy is not that bad. I have been in far worse.

I fear I just defended Indy.....:lmfao:

What's next? People will talk about how the 1500 smells? Oh wait, that's true. We could just blame that Strzok puke for starting the whole "SMELL" thing.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    You haven't lived until you've been to a Con with a serious Vampire: The Masquerade contingent. Those people are bat s%#t crazy and take their game very seriously.
    I was there to play Risk, where I got bounced in the first round and Axis and Allies, which I won.
    Arm chair generals are steady, 'salt of the earth' types. I like us. :):

Oh and maybe some of you have no first knowledge of it but CM is correct. Terrible Haute STINKS when the wind is right.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Most people attending are not from indy.

You can tell a political affiliation by looking at someone? Simply amazing.

You might be misguided here.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You haven't lived until you've been to a Con with a serious Vampire: The Masquerade contingent. Those people are bat s%#t crazy and take their game very seriously.
    I was there to play Risk, where I got bounced in the first round and Axis and Allies, which I won.
    Arm chair generals are steady, 'salt of the earth' types. I like us. :):

Oh and maybe some of you have no first knowledge of it but CM is correct. Terrible Haute STINKS when the wind is right.

Terre Haute used to stink because of the asphalt plant, the paper plant, and a few others. Those are gone (years ago) and those fragrances no longer grace the city. In the summer time on south 7th Street back in the early 1980s, I could go outside and the air would smell like human body odor. It was bad.

It's not like that anymore. It's no more or less smelly than any other city of comparable size.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Terre Haute used to stink because of the asphalt plant, the paper plant, and a few others. Those are gone (years ago) and those fragrances no longer grace the city. In the summer time on south 7th Street back in the early 1980s, I could go outside and the air would smell like human body odor. It was bad.

It's not like that anymore. It's no more or less smelly than any other city of comparable size.

The raw sewage plant had it's own aroma. We took care of the equipment there. Boilers and HVAC systems. The boilers kept the enzyme treatment at a steady temp to treat the solid waste. I have some stories about that **** hole...:):

Top Bottom