Any recommendations on a good reliable 1911, at an affordable price?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeromy0408

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2020
    Whiteland
    Thanks for the insight guys and the metaphor 88E30M50. Let's say I save up to get a 1911 that lives up to it's rep. What make/model/price have you guys found to be true?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Thanks for the insight guys and the metaphor 88E30M50. Let's say I save up to get a 1911 that lives up to it's rep. What make/model/price have you guys found to be true?
    Some people will like Colts, some Springfields, you have some that think you have to save up even more until you can get a Dan Wesson, others think we are all crazy and their RIA is tops. I think we even had one guy say they were just as good as WCs... yes, we have our own assortment of mixed nuts.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    $600 will just get you in the door if you are not factoring in shipping, tax, and X-fer fee.

You might wait until you get another couple hundred saved up before you dive in.

The 800-1000 range will get you a real good start.

Less than that you are well into YMMV territory that Expat was referencing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Look in the Springfield line up. Look used. You can in this current market get a nice "Loaded" for about $600 and even find a Stainless in that price range if you are patient and do your home work. I am at odds with Springer right now.

RIA's have stepped up their game in the last couple of years so I am unsure. I would never own one. JMHO of course because I have been inside more than a few and nope. Not going there.

Many love their Colts. I am not a fan but if you want to spend more than what I feel they are worth (again JMHO) buy a Kimber or a Colt.

Ruger makes a decent entry level piece in the 1911.

DW's are OK but they have competition from the Standard Maf. liner up. Standard does not offer a stainless model......yet.

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Don't overlook the Remington R1 they don't get a whole Lotta love but I have two of them great triggers and they run

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    It also depends on what kind of shooter you are. Example, 100rds a year or 100rds a week. I know its silly to think that way but most gun buyers will never put 1000rds through any gun they have ever. Some of the entry options are good for this point. If you shoot like me or some of the members of the forum we can wear parts out on 2k and 3k 1911s after a few years.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

My recommendation for a $600 price range would be to look in the used market. There are decent guns for close to that money but you’ll get a better gun by letting someone else shoot it for a bit first.

I’ve owned 2 Kimbers and while they were both reliable, both had crappy finishes and needed a bit of money invested in sights and replacement parts to remove stuff like plastic MSHs.

I’ve owned a couple Colts and except for the WWII USGI, they’ve needed money invested to make them what I wanted. The 9mm O1992 was only $646 but has the most sloppy slide fit I’ve ever seen. It’s a nice shooter but will never be a top shelf gun without much more invested.

A CZ 1911A1 is a stellar gun if you can find one used. They only made about a thousand of them and new, they sold for around $700. A Dan Wesson Heritage can sometimes be found used for under a grand, which is also a solid choice.

Ruger’s and Springers are both solid guns for the money but I don’t know if either are available in the $600 range new.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So, best gun for the money?

Right now I think my vote is Smith & Wesson 5" E-Series 1911s.

(Yes, yes, I have . . . several . . . "higher end" 1911s but for a value shopper, my vote goes to the S&W).

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    For what it's worth, MANY years ago I bought a new 1911-A1 stainless Springfield Armory Basic Model PB9151.
    It has a Commander style hammer and has performed FLAWLESSLY.
    Serial number begins with N32, which I'm told means 100% made in Brazil.

Top Bottom