Any recommendations on a good reliable 1911, at an affordable price?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Any recommendations on a good reliable 1911, at an affordable price?

I really like kimber but I'm not looking chew my arm off and sell it to get one.

I really like 1911s. There are a lot of choices out there. I went the sort of 1911 route. I have had a few 1911s through the years. My first was bought while on a journey simular to your thread title. I got one at an affordable price, I thought. #1's propensity to allow the safety to move to fire while in the holster meant that if I continued to carry it, it could break out of affordable with the first ND. (It would be negligent if I continued) My next was reliable, georgeous, high maintenance, and a little steep on the buy in. Colt 1911, officer's lightweight, 70 series. #2's first master was a gunsmith that worked his magic on her. She did like new springs as time went by to maintain her youth. My MIL talked me out of it for a birthday gift because my FIL loved it. I finally wound up with a S&W1911SC. It makes a good carry piece for me. It is affordable because I can't afford it to not be reliable. It has an external ejector. (Makes it a 1911 with a prosthetic) The parts have different dimensions as compared to "real" 1911s. Mine is a fine pistol. If you have a good carry gun that works for you, I would suggest that you hold out for a Dan Wesson. Look how much we spend for stupid options in our cars and trucks. Then we balk at 1500 - 2500 for an heirloom worthy firearm that can be passed down from generation to generation. Just double your entry price and ignore Kembers. The quality and reliability options start to avail themselves at that price. Then just throw in a little more and you will have a keeper. I can afford to lose my S&W or any other carry gun I have. They are tools. I can build something with a cheap tool, but it often costs me more in the long run. Hold out for the good stuff brother. It will be cheaper in the long run.

shawnppickett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I know a lot of guys at the range I used to go to liked Rock Islands stuff, I personally have no experience with it. My only 1911 (so far) is a Remington 1911 R1S that I gave just shy of $800 for about 6 years ago, the can be had for cheaper now. It has been a good and reliable handgun, though based on Remington's (Freedom group I believe) business practices, I might be inclined to steer clear of them now. Also, I kind of wish I would have gotten the R1S enhanced now, just for having a Novak cut for the sights, but that's not the end of the world. Anybody have experience with Rugers 1911?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I didn't know there were other companies that made 1911's. Either you have a Colt 1911 or you don't have a 1911 at all.

OK now its on brother. I would not own a Colt on a bet a Bribe etc. I have been inside way too many of them and do not like what I see at the price point the erect pony brings.

Lots of Colt fans here. Cool. Your money spend it as you see fit. If you have them and you like them then by all means enjoy them. But Puleeeeese.

OK now I feel better.

:)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    OK now its on brother. I would not own a Colt on a bet a Bribe etc. I have been inside way too many of them and do not like what I see at the price point the erect pony brings.

Lots of Colt fans here. Cool. Your money spend it as you see fit. If you have them and you like them then by all means enjoy them. But Puleeeeese.

OK now I feel better.

:)

Is now the time to gush about how much I like my Sig 1911? It’s not a Colt, but that’s generally a good thing to be if you are into 1911s and like things tight.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Is now the time to gush about how much I like my Sig 1911? It’s not a Colt, but that’s generally a good thing to be if you are into 1911s and like things tight.

Nah I was just busting balls.

Colt lost the flagship role a while back.

The OP has already made a thread about the trouble he is having with his new to him Colt.

Again, just busting balls.....:):

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    Marion
    I may get my balls busted for bringing it up, but Springfield Armory makes an affordable 1911 @ around the $500-$600 mark depending on what model you buy. I toyed with the idea of having a plain-Jane, no-frills, mil-spec 1911 for many years and a year and a half ago I spotted a brand-new one and snapped it up, and got the free gear-up too. Store owner was nice enough to give me a Fobus holster that was collecting dust in a bin somewhere in back, and I wore it home.

6362c536c7d470f72aa2c1ddd235276c.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I may get my balls busted for bringing it up, but Springfield Armory makes an affordable 1911 @ around the $500-$600 mark depending on what model you buy. I toyed with the idea of having a plain-Jane, no-frills, mil-spec 1911 for many years and a year and a half ago I spotted a brand-new one and snapped it up, and got the free gear-up too. Store owner was nice enough to give me a Fobus holster that was collecting dust in a bin somewhere in back, and I wore it home.

View attachment 84883

No ball busting here.

jeromy0408

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2020
    Whiteland
    Look in the Springfield line up. Look used. You can in this current market get a nice "Loaded" for about $600 and even find a Stainless in that price range if you are patient and do your home work. I am at odds with Springer right now.

RIA's have stepped up their game in the last couple of years so I am unsure. I would never own one. JMHO of course because I have been inside more than a few and nope. Not going there.

Many love their Colts. I am not a fan but if you want to spend more than what I feel they are worth (again JMHO) buy a Kimber or a Colt.

Ruger makes a decent entry level piece in the 1911.

DW's are OK but they have competition from the Standard Maf. liner up. Standard does not offer a stainless model......yet.[/QU

Thank you:patriot:

dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    Shoot Point Blank is offering all guns at employee prices. Carmel store usually has a good selection of 1911's.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    My first step into 1911 land is a Sig GSR it has been mighty good to me. Close to 3k and very accurate and dependable. Most accurate hand gun I own. Novak sight upgrade is the way to go IMO.

SIGSTEVE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2020
    avon
    I personally like Colt, but ran with an Remington R1 for a long time and enjoyed it. The R1 locked up good enough for me, and after a few WC parts and a trigger job it became my best shooter for years.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    When I was living at Ramstein AB, the gun club had about 50 different pistols in the case for rent.
    While I am not a huge 1911 guy, I found myself gravitating to the RIA 1911 more often than not. It was a tad bit heavy (compared to my P220) but it felt comfortable in my hands and dispersed lead every time I pulled the bang switch.

Some of RIA models fall right in the price range the OP stated.
    https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/gi-series/gi-standard-ms-45-acp1/

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I was living at Ramstein AB, the gun club had about 50 different pistols in the case for rent.
    While I am not a huge 1911 guy, I found myself gravitating to the RIA 1911 more often than not. It was a tad bit heavy (compared to my P220) but it felt comfortable in my hands and dispersed lead every time I pulled the bang switch.

Some of RIA models fall right in the price range the OP stated.
    https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/gi-series/gi-standard-ms-45-acp1/

He bought a Colt. He is having out of the box issues with it. Go figure.....:):

Top Bottom