Any recommendations on a good reliable 1911, at an affordable price?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I couldn't find any verification of this and it seems unlikely. I doubt Colt would want to do anything to help another manufacturer create a competing product. The frames and slides on RIA are a bit different from Colt I doubt they would come off the same machinery. It wouldn't make sense for RIA to buy old worn out machinery, ship it around the world instead of just buying newer CNC machines. Plus I believe RIA frames are cast.

it would make business sense. They move it all the Philippines or whoever pay to retool the cheaper used machines and keep moving with lower labor costs. On a business side it does make sense. My company has sold OEM machinery for 130+ years. Our machines go through this cycle and are on every continent (outside of the north and south poles)

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    it would make business sense. They move it all the Philippines or whoever pay to retool the cheaper used machines and keep moving with lower labor costs. On a business side it does make sense. My company has sold OEM machinery for 130+ years. Our machines go through this cycle and are on every continent (outside of the north and south poles)

It doesn't make sense for Colt.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    It doesn't make sense for Colt.

doesn’t mean that a competitor didn’t buy them. Happens all the time. Send in a third party buyer etc.. can’t control who buys the item most of the time.

if the cost for colt to retool + the labor costs here in us was more than the cost to sell and upgrade. Then yes, it does make economic business sense.

does it make sense for ford to sell cars only for them to later be sold second hand? They can’t control it when people upgrade. Even if armsacor bought them straight out, doesn’t mean that they told colt their plans.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    doesn’t mean that a competitor didn’t buy them. Happens all the time. Send in a third party buyer etc.. can’t control who buys the item most of the time.

if the cost for colt to retool + the labor costs here in us was more than the cost to sell and upgrade. Then yes, it does make economic business sense.

does it make sense for ford to sell cars only for them to later be sold second hand? They can’t control it when people upgrade. Even if armsacor bought them straight out, doesn’t mean that they told colt their plans.

Lol, if Armscor wanted to buy tooling to make 1911's it would probably be obvious. Anyway, the issue of RIA using Colt machinery looks like an internet rumor.

kml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    United States
    Agree that Kimber is worth staying away from. I've had 3 and all of them had big , recurring issues. They've all moved on.

I currently have a DW discretion and it is a very nice gun...very nice! Accurate, reliable, and damned good looking, to my eye anyway. Fit and finish is quite good.

And I just bought a RIA double stack 10mm. Got tired of waiting for a used STI in 10mm to show up at less than $1k over msrp. I wasn't expecting much, just something to play with until I could find a nice 2011 in 10mm. Well, I have to say it's been a pretty damned fine pistol so far! Is it as nice as my DW?, no. But at about 450 rounds so far it's been reliable and accurate. For better performing than I would have ever expected a $600 1911 to be.

We'll see if it holds up, but so far, it's earned it's keep. Better than any Kimber I've ever owned or shot, that's for sure! 20190914_120746.jpg
    20200408_173941.jpg

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Agree that Kimber is worth staying away from. I've had 3 and all of them had big , recurring issues. They've all moved on.

I currently have a DW discretion and it is a very nice gun...very nice! Accurate, reliable, and damned good looking, to my eye anyway. Fit and finish is quite good.

And I just bought a RIA double stack 10mm. Got tired of waiting for a used STI in 10mm to show up at less than $1k over msrp. I wasn't expecting much, just something to play with until I could find a nice 2011 in 10mm. Well, I have to say it's been a pretty damned fine pistol so far! Is it as nice as my DW?, no. But at about 450 rounds so far it's been reliable and accurate. For better performing than I would have ever expected a $600 1911 to be.

We'll see if it holds up, but so far, it's earned it's keep. Better than any Kimber I've ever owned or shot, that's for sure! View attachment 85966
    View attachment 85967

I remember selling Kimber 1911's when they first came out, we sold a ton of them. They originally only had one blued model and your choices were either rubber or wood grip. Those early guns worked well. Eventually they added stainless versions and then the pro and compact etc. Things went downhill when they came out with the external extractor models which they ditched and then the swartz safety version. Like Sig they thought they needed to have a crap ton of silly configurations instead of just doing a few models well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I remember selling Kimber 1911's when they first came out, we sold a ton of them. They originally only had one blued model and your choices were either rubber or wood grip. Those early guns worked well. Eventually they added stainless versions and then the pro and compact etc. Things went downhill when they came out with the external extractor models which they ditched and then the swartz safety version. Like Sig they thought they needed to have a crap ton of silly configurations instead of just doing a few models well.

Yes they did but they sure are pretty.

marksman1023

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2019
    Columbus
    I've personally had positive experiences with Smith & Wesson, Rock Island, and Springfield 1911s. The nicest I've personally shot was a Springfield TRP. I've heard many opine that the lowest for a "duty use" 1911 should be that TRP, but YMMV.

I also have a basic Kimber 1911 that I got as a commemorative gun from my first deployment, and FWIW, that pistol has yet to jam with factory or Wilson magazines, but round count is still low.

Top Bottom