• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    View attachment 65408

Meh, I don't care for 'em.

Indiucky, I'm no smith genius. What models are you showing? Looks like a 60 and a 686 maybe? They sure are pretty.

Wagyu, that Air Lite sure is pretty, too.

OO Buck, that's a pretty collection, too.

View attachment 65408

640-1 pre mim and a 60-10 that is a mini 686.....

I love them...BEMike's favorite gun is a 60-10 like mine...They are shooters....

luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy
    You can put your dick away, I’m not here to take any measurements. I’m just posting an opportunity for people outside of the comp world to test their skills and equipment beyond what is possible on most ranges.

I KNOW I can’t hit **** on the move with a snub-nose revolver much past contact distance. I know because I’ve tried. Maybe you can. I suspect far more think they can than know.

You are answering the WRONG question. A stubby was DESIGNED for close distance, not 200 yard shots. Can I hit a moving torso at close range? YES I CAN, AND HAVE. In Vietnam, before I got a M-14 I was issued the 'less than reliable' AR-15. I acquires a S&W model 60, PERFECT for wet weather.

The 60 did it's job well.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    As BBI stated, this might not be the best load for a short barrel. There are a few YT videos on this. The speed of the bullet is slower than what is needed to make the hollow point work properly.

[video=youtube_share;mRRrvL4b45g]http://youtu.be/mRRrvL4b45g[/video]

This isn't scientific but gives you a little info.

Yep... makes sense.

Like I said, it is what I had on hand.

I will be stopping by a LGS before long to pick up a cartridge with a lighter / faster bullet.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    20 years ago hollowpoints were developed that will expand reliably at 850 to 900 fps. It used to be true that you needed high velocity but you really don't today. Speer's Gold Dot bullets work very well at 850 fps. and Speer warns you not to drive them over 1100 fps. I have tested them and they expand perfectly every time in water. I carry a .44 Spl. with 200 gr. Gold Dots running 900 fps which equals .45 hardball. Easy to shoot with no thunder and no blinding muzzle flash. I have used it in pin matches and it takes them off the table like a .45.

Carmel Corn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Carmel
    S&W 442 on occasion. I’ve ran a class and put in range training with it and definitely plan on doing more. Very viable option - reloads, getting hits on the move, hits beyond contact distance, etc are all possible but you do have to commit to the work to get there.

It’s my only revolver right now but I’m also on the hunt for a S&W Nightguard :ingo:

Can't go wrong with a 442. If you are so inclined, a performance center version is particularly nice and smooth.

Kernelkrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    grant county
    Smith 642 in the outer pocket of my jacket, lets me keep my hand on it without anyone knowing. Internal hammer so no worries about snagging if I fire it through my pocket. Only drawback is putting out the burning cloth after I fire...

joedekock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    My EDC is a S&W 646 airweight. I use .38 rounds (non plus-p). I carry either IWB, OWB, or in my back pack. Its been my EDC for 5 years now.

I went back and forth (some times still do) on weather to carry a small 9mm like a Kahr or the newer S&W Shield, or Glock 43. For me, I talked to may of my LEO friends and the majority of them rely on a snubby for their backup carry while on duty and their primary carry while off duty. Their reasoning (which I adopted) was that the snubby will never jam, stove pipe, and if you have a mis-fire you just keep pulling the trigger. Its puts the mind at ease when in a stressful situation the only thing you have to prepare for is to just draw, point the firearm and just pull the trigger.

The snubby wins easily vs. the small 9mm frames as well in the size category. A snubby is smaller all around.

Lastly the snubby's don't have any side recoil to them. The recoil on any revolver is straight back and up for any muzzle jump. With a semi-auto the recoil has the firearm back and to the upper left for muzzle jump because there is a giant hole on the top of the slide that exposes the high pressured gasses to discharge the case of the bullet. Naturally it makes the pistol jump to the up and left. May not seem like a big deal, but if you find yourself in a situation where you are firing single handed it could make a difference. Especially if its your non-dominant hand.

mdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    I’m with Drail,can’t beat Speer GDHP’s for expansion out of a snub.I carry a ported Taurus 44 spl with 200gr GHHP’s. A club member brought a box full of phone books that had been soaking in water since the night before and I shot several rounds into it. They ALL penetrated at least 4 books and expanded to about 3/4”. Most people carry hicap auto to make up for poor marksmanship. I practice with my snub an usually group a few inches @ 15 yds.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My EDC is a S&W 646 airweight. I use .38 rounds (non plus-p). I carry either IWB, OWB, or in my back pack. Its been my EDC for 5 years now.

I went back and forth (some times still do) on weather to carry a small 9mm like a Kahr or the newer S&W Shield, or Glock 43. For me, I talked to may of my LEO friends and the majority of them rely on a snubby for their backup carry while on duty and their primary carry while off duty. Their reasoning (which I adopted) was that the snubby will never jam , stove pipe, and if you have a mis-fire you just keep pulling the trigger. Its puts the mind at ease when in a stressful situation the only thing you have to prepare for is to just draw, point the firearm and just pull the trigger.

The snubby wins easily vs. the small 9mm frames as well in the size category. A snubby is smaller all around.

Lastly the snubby's don't have any side recoil to them. The recoil on any revolver is straight back and up for any muzzle jump. With a semi-auto the recoil has the firearm back and to the upper left for muzzle jump because there is a giant hole on the top of the slide that exposes the high pressured gasses to discharge the case of the bullet. Naturally it makes the pistol jump to the up and left. May not seem like a big deal, but if you find yourself in a situation where you are firing single handed it could make a difference. Especially if its your non-dominant hand.

First off remember, not all LEO's are gun guys. Some are but some aren't. The gun is just part of the job. They go by some of the same things you hear which can be bad info.

First on the ammo selection. Read through this thread >>> https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/452117-snubby-ammo.html Look for the posts from BehindBlueI's. He is a LEO who knows his stuff. He gives his opinion on what ammo should work best in a 2" revolver.

As to revolvers never jamming, that is false. Yes, they tend to malfunction less that semi's but when they do jam, usually there is no getting them back into action. They can lock up tight. At least with a semi-auto, chances are a malfunction can be cleared with a tap/rack drill. This is not to say semi-autos don't break and are useless, they do. And I'm not knocking your choice of revolver for EDC. I have a 642 as a 2nd gun with me most of the time now. I just want you to be informed.

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    Usually one of these in a coat or back pocket

MqozQ8c.jpg

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Smith .38 snubbie. Grizzly OWB holster. Barely prints. And at my age, most folk will just assume it's an insulin or pain pump.
    And much agreed with others: Unless you value your life cheaply... don't choose a cheap holster.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Do you have a preference for any of the three? I'm considering a 442, 640, 340 or even a 36 if I can find one. I would be interested in the pros and cons of the different J-frames.

I like my hammerless 642.... no hammer means you could actually shoot it from concealment (ie coat pocket) and not have it jam up because something caught on the hammer. Not a super likely scenario, but worth considering. I figured I had no intention of using it or practicing single-action anyway, so not giving anything up. But I've never been afraid of DA, either.

shrouded hammer isn't a bad compromise, but it's not like you're going to reliably/quickly going to be thumbing that thing back, so why bother, imo.

just my 2c

-rvb

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    Do you have a preference for any of the three? I'm considering a 442, 640, 340 or even a 36 if I can find one. I would be interested in the pros and cons of the different J-frames.

640 is nice but it's hard to find a 2". 36 is also nice and easier to find but both the 640 and 36 will be at least $500-$600. I like the Colt Cobras, Agents, but they're bigger. I often carry the Cobra here with the worn finish . The steel frame guns are the easiest on the hand to shoot but they are heavier I'd pick the 442 or 642. They're LW and not as expensive as the 640 or 340.

r6MuDbU.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom