Anyone else DELETED Their Facebook Account?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Been waffling on deleting mine. I use it to communicate with family, and a few groups use it as their primary communication tool. Our two homeschool groups are heavily invested in the platform. I really like those groups/people, so would hate to break all contact over an app.

That said, I really don't log into it much any longer. Just to check items with the above mentioned groups. Maybe a few other things, but it mostly makes me aggravated, so I don't do it much.

Never did the twit or 'gram thing, so nothing to delete there.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Facebook collects info on you whether you have an account or not, deleting/avoiding an account will only prevent them from connecting it to you. If you truly wish to avoid facebook you'll need to do some browser/system level changes to prevent your computer from contacting any of the FB domains. Even then you only stop direct collection.

As with all things, it takes mental discipline to prevent being consumed by something. I keep most of the notifications turned off and look at it only when I have some time to burn. INGO on the other hand is another matter.... :): :ingo:

Yes, it's a very creepy platform. Things my GF and I say in the car while traveling with her ipad that has FB loaded suddenly we both start getting ads for keywords related to our conversation. They are listening and as an IT Admin is as creepy as is gets for me to know that there's no way to control what modern software does anymore.

If I could just find a way to not need a cellphone which is a software defined bugging device, I'd dump it in a minute.
    Technology is such a double edged word anymore I almost long to go back to pre-integrated circuit times.

Even though I'd be out of a job if it happened (maybe, I would likely end up in the rebuild), I'd welcome a Solar CME Carrington event or EMP taking out the entire planet's infrastructure forcing us all to go back to face-to-face transactions.

Oh, and you can archive your entire FB account for safekeeping according to these instructions (I've never had an account so not sure how accurate it is).

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/01/18/how-to-download-facebook-archive/

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm getting off FB on Friday. I got on because a gym I belonged to posted the daily workouts on it but I don't go to that gym anymore so I really don't need it. I stayed on because of a couple of family members and friends but it's not worth it anymore.

Never did Twitter, but I do follow a couple people on IG. Will continue since I don't get that daily feed like FB.

I am going to curtail activity here to, fortunately for some, maybe unfortunate for others. But I'm done trying to be cordial and fair and not being seen in that light because I'm not so good with the written word.

For those in the know, should I deactivate my FB or just walk away and leave it be?

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I've been back/forth on this for some time now but I deleted my Facebook account some time ago and frankly...could not be more happy with my decision. I hated the fact that I was spending too much time with it. I found myself getting into way too many stupid fights and arguments and reading basically nonsense. I miss a few groups I was part of and since my wife has an account I can still see the stuff our grown children post, etc.

I also hated, more and more, realizing that I allow FB to harvest data from me and about me and I decided enough is enough.

Anyone else delete their FB account?

Thoughts?

I would have had to have one to delete one.

Work set up "linked in accounts" for everyone at work....I got that damn thing shut down.

mikeruth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've been back/forth on this for some time now but I deleted my Facebook account some time ago and frankly...could not be more happy with my decision. I hated the fact that I was spending too much time with it. I found myself getting into way too many stupid fights and arguments and reading basically nonsense. I miss a few groups I was part of and since my wife has an account I can still see the stuff our grown children post, etc.

I also hated, more and more, realizing that I allow FB to harvest data from me and about me and I decided enough is enough.

Anyone else delete their FB account?

Thoughts?
    NO TwoFaceBook and NO Shitter!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Twitter... gone.
    Parler, been there for a while and was liking it until AWS nuked it. Anxiously awaiting the lawsuit results.
    FB... migrating away and over to MeWe. I'll unfortunately have to keep my FB account open until something more mainstream pops up and takes over.

Amazon, boy that's tough. I have a ton of things tied into Amazon.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Did it all yesterday and today. Amazon Prime, canceled. Audible, canceled. Twitter: account closed. Facebook, account deactivated. Enough is enough. I’m setting myself free. Other than the politics, I was mostly tired of trying to refute old myths about our family that come up over and over and over and over and over again on Facebook.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    I maybe the only person left that has never had a Facebook account or any other social media platform. Although Representative Lucas did offer to set me up a Facebook account and post for me, I declined.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    Have deleted Twitter over the weekend. Will be deactivating FB either today or tomorrow. The only reason I've kept it this long honestly is for the Marketplace. I'd love to say screw you to Amazon too but that one will be harder to quit at my house..lol

Now that I'll be off social media I guess I'll jut spend more time on INGO....Some of you will be begging me to rejoin FB before long! lol

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I do have a FB account for personal and my business. I usually make less than five post a year for personal, the business page though I use daily. The customers are at FB Marketplace and until something else comes along I do need them for the business. I used Craigslist for years but everyone has left them.

Twitter- Never had an account.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm going to leave mine open for now. I have unfollowed virtually anyone who talks politics or bores me with non-essential "stuff". I have a few groups I follow(IDPA, Goruck, Competitive Shooters) and the other night when I checked my feed, I noticed that it was devoid of the normal BS that is FB. So I'll hang around for awhile and see what happens.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I did, about 12 years ago lol. Im still activeish on 3 forums and snapchat though.
    I maybe the only person left that has never had a Facebook account or any other social media platform. Although Representative Lucas did offer to set me up a Facebook account and post for me, I declined.
    This is technically social media.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I'm getting off FB on Friday. I got on because a gym I belonged to posted the daily workouts on it but I don't go to that gym anymore so I really don't need it. I stayed on because of a couple of family members and friends but it's not worth it anymore.

Never did Twitter, but I do follow a couple people on IG. Will continue since I don't get that daily feed like FB.

I am going to curtail activity here to, fortunately for some, maybe unfortunate for others. But I'm done trying to be cordial and fair and not being seen in that light because I'm not so good with the written word.

For those in the know, should I deactivate my FB or just walk away and leave it be?
    Definitely delete it. I did several years ago. And it's a process. They will make several attempts to convince you to just archive it....... just in case you change your mind. LOL I had to play some hardball with them. And I still don't trust that they totally deleted me.

Top Bottom